Quilting for Beginners: 21 Simple Quilt Patterns
Quilt patterns don't get easier than this! If you're new to quilting, be sure to check out these free quilt patterns for beginners.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Everyone has to start their quilting journey somewhere, but it can be difficult figuring out which patterns to choose from. If this sounds like you, just take a look at Quilting for Beginners: 21 Simple Quilt Patterns, because we've compiled a great list of easy free quilt patterns in all shapes and sizes.
Improve your applique skills, learn how to piece together quilt blocks, and get started on your very first beginner quilt pattern without worry.
Learning how to quilt can seem very intimidating. You probably decided to pick up the hobby after marveling at some intricate and stunning patterns. The best way to learn how to quilt is to use simple quilting patterns and work your way up.
We have free quilting patterns of all shapes, sizes, and degrees of difficulty here at FaveQuilts.com. One of these beginner quilting patterns may very well be your very first (or second) quilt.
Plus, don't miss our video tutorial for How to Make a Nine Patch Block! It's perfect for beginners.
Table of Contents
Quilting as you go is the latest trend for quilters these days. If you want to check out quilt as you go projects, then check out this article: Quick Quilts: 15 Quilt As You Go Tutorials and Quilt As You Go Blocks
Beginner Quilt Patterns
Quilting for beginners won't be difficult if you start off with one of these simple quilt patterns. They're as beautiful as they are easy!
This list of beginner-friendly quilt patterns includes the popular strip quilt, which is great if you're a quilting newbie, and is ideal for precut fabric like jelly rolls. These beginner quilt patterns are as budget-friendly as they are easy.
- Ebb and Flow Quilt PatternBreak out your prettiest fat eighths for this quilt pattern that's super simple to make with this Ebb and Flow Quilt Pattern. A great project for precuts or fabric scraps, this easy rectangle quilt can also double as a picnic blanket and is perfect for spring or summer.
- Brick Pattern Fat Quarter QuiltIf you are yearning for a warm blanket, get started on this easy Brick Pattern Fat Quarter Quilt. It is a DIY fat quarter project for a comfortable kids quilt that is easy to make and even easier for them to love. Piece together fabric scraps that are meaningful to you, and use a sewing machine to stitch the edges together.
- Pleated Strips Beginner QuiltIf you're new to quilting and are looking for an easy pattern to start with, look no further than the Pleated Strips Beginner Quilt. You can use a combination of fabrics or some leftover scraps and get to work on some very easy scrap strip quilts.
- A Magical Lands Strip QuiltLearn how to create an easy, brightly-color strip quilt pattern with this beginner quilt pattern. The gorgeous A Magical Lands Strip Quilt is a quilt-as-you-go pattern. This method makes it incredibly easy to make a quilt in a short amount of time.
- Modern Geometric Quilt PatternContemporary quilts are all the rage. Get with the trend by learning how to make a Modern Geometric Quilt Pattern with half square triangles. You can cut the squares in half with scissors or with a new crafting tool mentioned in the tutorial.
- Easiest Ever Panel QuiltTackle your very first quilt with the Easiest Ever Panel Quilt tutorial in hand! This queen size quilted bed cover is the simplest of simple quilt patterns with only a few panels to sew together for a gorgeous quilt. Panel quilts make quilting a cinch!
- Four Hour Lasagna QuiltNot a fan of baking? You won't need to turn on the oven to make this creative Four Hour Lasagna Quilt. Take a look at this quilt recipe and see how you can use strip quilt piecing to make a jelly roll quilt pattern with stand-out layers of color and overall design.
Simple Quilt Patterns for Beginners
These bonus patterns will knock your socks off. They're beginner-friendly and totally stylish.
From budget-friendly t-shirt quilts that are perfect for preserving memories to simple patchwork quilts, these DIY quilt patterns are quick, easy, and most importantly, completely beginner-approved!
- Charm Pack Laptop Case TutorialTake a break from bigger quilting projects and create a gorgeous and handy project that you'll use everyday with this Charm Pack Laptop Case Tutorial. Made using mini charm packs and one fat quarter, this quick quilting project can be completed in no time.
- This Easy DIY T-Shirt Quilt is the perfect solution to all sorts of problems. Can't bring yourself to give away old shirts that don't fit or are worn down, but have a ton of sentimental value? A simple t-shirt quilt is your best bet.
- Easy Peasy Chevron Quilt PatternChevron quilt patterns are all about chicness. Having trouble figuring out that zigzag pattern? Then try this Easy Peasy Chevron Quilt Pattern. Cutting up fabric into half square triangles is super easy, and it's the quickest way to put together a stylish chevron design.
- Really Simple 9 Patch QuiltIf you're looking for nautical room ideas for your home, then check out this Really Simple 9 Patch Quilt. This easy quilt pattern is an ode to the sea with its blue and green fabrics. The great part about this tutorial is that it only requires 9 quilt blocks.
- Simple Color QuiltFlowers look incredibly gorgeous on this Simple Color Quilt. Learn how to machine applique with this simple tutorial. The appliqueing technique is so much easier than it looks. Make this quilt for a niece or grandkid. They will love the colorful and fun flowers.
- Cheery Floral Patchwork QuiltThis Cheery Floral Patchwork Quilt is absolutely adorable. Making a patchwork quilt has never been easier. You'll love working with floral quilt fabrics, too. The fun thing about patchwork is that your design doesn't need to be perfect.
- Traditional Square QuiltThis Traditional Square Quilt is too cute. If you're looking for easy quilt ideas, this project is for you. Simple square quilt patterns are so fun to work with. Mix things up and choose wild fabrics to modernize this project. It's a great way to make your quilt extra edgy.
- Block Party QuiltPlay that funky music to your Block Party Quilt. You'll obsess over this easy quilt tutorial because it's so clear. This is a great project for a beginner quilter because working with squares is such a simple method.
Easy Quilt Block Patterns
Don't stress about making your first quilt. Start off with one of these easy quilt block patterns and you'll already be one step closer to a completed project.
The building blocks of full quilt patterns, these DIY quilt blocks are the perfect introductory projects to quilting. Plus, they're a great way to become familiar with classic quilt designs.
- No Math Vintage Photo Quilt BlocksGive your favorite fabric scraps a modern edge by combining fussy cutting with nostalgic themes with these No Math Vintage Photo Quilt Blocks. Inspired by vintage Polaroid pictures, these whimsical quilt blocks let you transform pretty fabric scraps into chic and modern quilt blocks that are super simple to make and are a fun twist on traditional scrap quilting.
- Rainbow Log Cabin Quilt BlockPut a twist on plain old log cabin quilt blocks by using fabrics in every color of the rainbow for the "logs." The Rainbow Log Cabin Quilt Block is an easy way to add a pop of color to your quilt. The quilt tutorial is also great for beginners to learn how to make a log cabin quilt.
- Big Bowtie BlockBig Bowtie Blocks are some of the easiest quilting block patterns available because they can be done in less than an evening. Even though bowties are a basic shape, they remind you of dressing up for a special occasion, like a gala or a cocktail dinner.
- Crazy Nine PatchThe Crazy Nine Patch is a super easy quilt block that comes together in no time! You don't have to worry about straight lines or precise measurements to make this easy crazy quilt block. Coordinate colors and prints in blocks to make stripes and make your fat quarter quilt patterns pop with unique piecing techniques.
- Pinwheel Quilt BlocksBring complexity to your quilt without the extra work using Pinwheel Quilt Blocks. This easy tutorial shows you how to combine different fabrics into pinwheel quilt pattern blocks that will really add detail to your next quilt. Use your favorite patterns to make totally new and easy quilting blocks.
- Peppermint Flower Dresden BlockGet a fresh start with your next quilt pattern with a Peppermint Flower Dresden Block. This approach to using a Dresden plate pattern to make quilt block patterns is different, but also simple. You'll find the pretty little flowers to have a clean and chic that will suit several quilts.
Basic Applique Quilt Designs
Practice your sewing before starting a big project with some applique quilt designs. Applique patterns are small quilting projects that can be made super quickly, making them budget-friendly and easy enough for beginners.
If you've been searching for a quick way to update your favorite tote bag or t-shirt, then don't miss these easy applique patterns.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte AppliqueNothing says fall like enjoying your first pumpkin spice latte of the season. Design your own adorable mini lattes out of felt with this too-cute-to-handle Pumpkin Spice Latte Applique.
- Moon and Stars Applique TemplatesMake a quilt block that depicts the night sky with these handy Moon and Stars Applique Templates! Blanket stitch the moon applique pattern onto a midnight blue background and then surround it with fabric applique stars and embroidered stars!
- Little Star ToteIt can be hard to find kid-friendly quilt patterns, but this Little Star Tote does the trick! With an easy-to-follow tutorial, this beginner-level quilt project is so quick to work up! Have fun making this DIY tote bag, perfect for creative DIY gift ideas!
- Cupcake Mug Rug PatternThis free mug rug pattern will take you only an hour or so to stitch up, and it makes such an adorable gift! Give a Cupcake Mug Rug as a birthday gift, or use it as a Valentine's Day table decoration. It will bring a touch of sweetness to your day!
- Very Vintage Applique ShirtThe applique flowers in this tutorial are absolutely gorgeous. Once they are attached to your shirt, you will be wondering how to make homemade applique any other way. Put the Very Vintage Applique Shirt design on a t-shirt, hand towel, or pillowcase with spray adhesive and stitch it on by hand.
- Sweet Applique French MacaronsSay 'oui oui' to the cutest new appliques for quilts, these Sweet Applique French Macarons. Not only are these French-inspired applique quilt designs easy to make, but they are also extremely versatile. Use them as the final touch for small quilt projects like mug rugs, towels, and quilt blocks.
Small Quilt Projects
Simple quilt patterns come in all shapes and sizes. See how you can dress up your walls and decorate your home with your quilting.
This collection of small quilt projects also includes easy and stylish tote bags, so that you can practice your patchwork skills before taking them to the big leagues with a full quilt. Spend your weekend working on one of these small quilt projects.
- Chevron Ombre DIY ToteMake a stylish and chic tote bag in just one afternoon with this simple Chevron Ombre DIY Tote. A great choice for spring and summer, this DIY tote bag is a great way to take a break from full bed quilts to create a quick and easy project that's super stylish.
- Spring Spool Pincushion TutorialIf you've been searching for a quick and simple quilting project that shows off your love of everything sewing and quilting, then you'll love this quick and easy Spring Spool Pincushion Tutorial. A fantastic gift for any sewist or quilter, this DIY pincushion is an adorable way to use up your pretty pastel fabric scraps.
- Angie's Big Quilted ToteA quilted tote bag pattern is a fun and fashionable way to showcase pretty quilt panels or prints. Angie's Big Quilted Tote features plain quilted front, back, and side panels and extra large capacity for all your necessities!
- Fabric Bulletin BoardDecorate your dorm room, your living room, your bedroom, etc. with this really fast and easy fabric bulletin board tutorial. If you have all the supplies, it will only take you an hour. Use it to hang up fun and goofy pictures of you and your friends!
- This adorable Kitchen Aid stand mixer cover is a pattern designed to fit an Artisan model, but the tutorial could easily be modified to make other large appliance covers. You'll wonder why you never learned How to Make a Quilted Mixer Cozy before!
- Lightning Fast Mini QuiltThe name says it all for this Lightning Fast Mini Quilt. Small quilt projects give you the sense of satisfaction that comes with finishing a quilt, but they can be finished in just a few hours. This super-fast, colorful mini quilt is also a wonderful stash-buster.
How to Start Quilting: Beginners Tutorials
Learning how to quilt can be a daunting task! There are so many new words and techniques to learn. Even the most experienced sewists often have reservations about learning how to make a quilt. There's nothing to be scared of! Learning how to quilt is actually pretty easy if you take your time and check out the right tutorials! Here at FaveQuilts we have a ton of helpful quilting tutorials for beginners, free quilt patterns, and anything else you might need!
First Time Quilting: How to Start
Before sitting down to make your first quilting project, we recommend doing some reading and researching. Being familiar with quilting techniques and terms will really help put your mind at ease before creating your first project! Checking out the following tutorials for tips and tricks.
- Back to Basics: Quilting Tips for BeginnersIf you are brand new to quilting, this list of basic terms and helpful hints is a must-read! The FaveQuilts editor polled our readers for the best tips and these are the ones they mentioned the most.
- How to Plan a Quilt ProjectQuilts require lots of planning, fabric, and cutting. Be sure to plan properly by following this simple and easy tutorial. My favorite tip from this article is to start small! The stakes are a lot smaller when you're making a little quilt like a baby quilt pattern first.
- 7 Must-Know Quilting Techniques and StylesQuilting is a brand new skill set. Use this list of must-know techniques to get started.
- Bookmark this page for later. This full list of quilting terms is a great place to check when you see a word that confuses you on a pattern or tutorial.
Quilting for Beginners Youtube
One of the best ways to learn a new technique is through videos! How to videos allow you to actually watch someone else create a project. Visual learners love using Youtube. Quilting beginners should definitely check out Youtube when learning techniques.
Here at FaveQuilts, we have literally hundreds of free patterns and quilt project ideas for you to check out. From cute baby quilt patterns to quick quilt patterns made from pre-cuts, our selection is insanely extensive.
What are your favorite types of beginner quilting projects? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Animal Cage Comforters
- Charmed Fabric Bowl
- The Take Along Quilt
- Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns We Love
- 46 Flower Quilt Patterns and Quilting Designs
- 38 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
- 900+ Free Quilting Patterns
- 24 Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns
- 26 Charming Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
- 30+ Free Nine Patch Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Sew A Four Patch Quilt Block
- Easy Half Square Triangles
- Bargello Placemats
- Valentine Mug Rug
- Quilted Zipper Pouch
- Quilted Boho Pillow Tutorial
- Quiet Book Of Colors
- No Bake Jolly Bar Quilt Pattern
- Peppermint Mini Quilt Pattern
- Little Evergreen Trees Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns