16 Simple and Small Quilt Patterns
These small quilt projects involve all sorts of different designs, from kitchen to wearables. Make something beautiful FAST!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Easy quilt tutorials that don't sacrifice quality for simplicity can be hard to come by. Whether you want to make a quilt for your bed, your couch, your kids or your dog, easy quilt tutorials shouldn't mean "bad quilt tutorials." That's why we have chosen to forgo "easy" and embrace "simple."
These 16 Simple and Small Quilt Patterns are perfect for the quilter in a time crunch. You'll find everything from hair accessories to full quilts. Size doesn't have to be an indicator of difficulty! We've selected some of our favorite quilts that won't take you months to make.
Whether you need kitchen decorating ideas, like mug rug patterns and DIY oven mitts, or free purse patterns for your next event or vacation, there's something here for you.
Table of Contents
Small Quilts for the Kitchen
The Perfect Patchwork Placemats shown here are not only adorable but fun to make! When it comes to kitchen decorating ideas, quilting is the way to go.
Check out these beautiful and sweet kitchen quilting designs and you will never buy another fabric table decor piece when you can easily make them. These kitchen decorating ideas will brighten up your kitchen AND bust your fabric stash!
These small quilt patterns also make the most amazing hostess or housewarming gifts, whether they like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen or not.
- Pin Up Star Table Runner
The pattern here is such a beautiful blend of a playful modern geometric design and a classic block shape, which lends the whole project a gorgeous sense of movement and timelessness.
- Calming Yoga DIY Mug Rug
If you're a lover of peace, tranquility, and tea, then get out your fabric and start quilting. This beautiful mug rug is perfect for you!
- Scrapbusting Country Trivet
This gorgeous quilted trivet pattern makes a trivet that would look right at home in a country farmhouse. There's no reason why your kitchen decor can't be as eye-catching and lovely as it is practical.
- Patchwork Embellished Kitchen Towel
BONUS! This incredibly easy quilt pattern only requires a few pieces of colorful scrappy quilt patterns that can be pieced in a neat little pattern on a plain rag.
Need more variety? Download our Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts free eBook. It is available here: Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
Small Quilt Projects: DIY Bags
Make quilted tote bags, purses, and handbags for any season! These patterns are so versatile!
Just look at this Fat Quarter Drawstring Bag pictured here. It can be used every day or for anything. And it's easy to change the size to fit your needs.
There's no reason not to make one of these for yourself or someone you know.
These designs are both functional and stylish, which is why they are so awesome. They are all pretty quick to make as well, which makes them even more desirable!
- Retro Apple Tote
This easy tote bag pattern is the perfect bag for teachers (or anyone who has to cart around tons of papers and books. The denim fabric guarantees sturdiness, so you never have to worry about breakage!
- Super Quick and Easy Cosmetic Bag
If you aren't a fan of carrying around bags for your personal items, you can easily substitute this as a bag for your small quilting tools as well.
- Large Reliable Rounded Tote Bag
This quilted tote bag pattern has just the right amount of flash to complement the modern design.
- Leftover Block Envelope Bag
BONUS! If you've got a leftover quilt block or enough fabric to make an extra, try this little stashbuster. The Leftover Block Envelope Bag shows you how to make a simple quilt purse from a single quilt block pattern.
DIY Hair Accessories
How cute is this Triple Hexie Headband? It's just one of the several adorable hair ideas you can find in this list. These DIY hair accessories are the solution to any bad hair day (and stash fabric too small for quilts)!
Adding one of these small quilted creations instantly makes you look more put-together, which is super helpful for those days we don't feel like going all out or have time to put something more complex together.
- 30-minute Patchwork Headband
Make cute headbands by strip piecing scraps together and then sewing the patchwork fabric around an elastic band.
- Kid-Friendly Fabric Sliver Projects
Quilters of all levels will be wowed by the amount of other original quilting projects they can make with sliver fabrics.
- Sexy Hexie Headband
Learn how to make cute headbands using hexies and peltex! Show off your quilting pride without even making a block!
- Quilted Headband
BONUS! This Quilted Headband tutorial will teach you how to make cute headbands for yourself and your friends using just a fat quarter, fusible fleece, and a bit of elastic.
Find more cute patterns on a smaller scale inside this collection of 30 Marvelous Mini Quilt Patterns
Quilt Patterns in a Day
Want to make a quilt but keep it within a short timeline? Then these simple quilt patterns are sure to please. For example, this gorgeous Race to the Finish Jelly Roll Quilt can be done in an evening using scraps you already have.
Every one of these easy quilt tutorials can be made in just one afternoon or evening, which allows you to make more quilts in less time!
Great "last-minute" gifts can be found here and they'll never know you didn't spend weeks on it!
- Quick Triangles Baby Quilt
Coordinate your fat quarter quilt patterns and start making half square triangle quilt patterns right away.
- Striped Chevrons Baby Quilt Tutorial
The only materials you need for this gorgeous chevron quilt are two jelly rolls and enough cloth for the quilt's back, plus the binding of your choice.
- Fastest Hand Tied Flannel Baby Quilt
Hand quilting may sound strenuous for the quilters who always use machines, but rest assured that this quilt shouldn't take you more than one day to make.
- Scrappy Princess and the Pea Quilt
BONUS! This is a cute and easy quilt pattern for beginners to make their first free kid's quilt for a special little girl.
Do you prefer larger or smaller quilting projects?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- 18 Free Bargello Quilt Patterns
- Best Quilt Patterns for Free
- Top 20 Free Scrap Quilt Patterns
- 20+ Easy Chevron Quilt Patterns
- 100 Best Free Quilt Patterns of 2014
- 16 Simple and Small Quilt Patterns
- 14 Winning Free Quilt Patterns from March
- The 100 Best Quilt Patterns of 2013: Baby Quilt Patterns, Quilted Handbags, Free Quilt Blocks and More
- 12 Most Popular Free Quilt Patterns of April
- The Top 15 Free Quilt Patterns from June
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Basket Quilt Block
- Hourglass Quilt Block
- Fly Home Quilt Pattern
- Classic Nine Patch Quilt Block Pattern
- Free Patchwork Tree Skirt Tutorial
- Christmas Quilt Block
- Easy Quilted Hot Pad
- Quilted Christmas Ornament
- Frank Edmonds
- Handmade With Love Printable Gift Tags
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns