14 Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns
Break out your prettiest precuts for this list of free fat quarter quilt patterns and tutorials!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Whether you enjoy making large wall quilts or prefer smaller handmade projects, you will adore these 10 Fantastic Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns for their ability to make a variety of interesting quilts patterns.
Take your pick amongst these gorgeous kids' quilts, adorable quilted baby blankets, and charming miscellaneous designs that all feature diverse fat quarter quilt patterns.
Fat quarters are one of the most versatile types of pre-cuts because they come in a large square, making them perfect for simple patchwork as well as essential for more intricate patterns as they can easily be trimmed to fit just about any shape.
If you have a stash of FQ packs in your home, you will be pulling them out as soon as you check out these cuties. With all this variety, you are going to be quilting for years to come.
Plus! Don't miss our video that's right below. Watch it and learn how to make a pillow using fat quarters from designer Carolina Moore. This is a great tutorial for visual learners and it's a beautiful project you won't want to miss.
Table of Contents
If you love this collection, you will love the rest of the quilt patterns collections in 900+ Free Quilting Patterns. 900+ Free Quilting Patterns
What is a Fat Quarter?
If you're new to quilting, the term 'fat quarter' is a word that you'll see very often. Fat quarters are a type of precut fabric and are typically sold in packs, so that quilters are provided with a wide array of colors and printed fabric to work with.
Fat quarters get their name from their measurement; they measure as slightly more than a quarter yard of fabric, which is where the name comes from. Fat quarters are the most popular type of precut fabric to quilt with and were the first type of specialty precut available.
Fat quarters are fairly budget-friendly and are available at stores like Wal-Mart, although fabric companies offer a wider array of colors, fabrics, and prints to choose from. These precuts are perfect for patchwork or more complicated patterns, and are extremely versatile to work with. If you're a beginner quilter, you can't go wrong with fat quarters!
Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns for Kids
Get started on these awesome fat quarter quilt patterns for kids. Simply piece together colorful scrappy fabric, and pretty soon you'll have a fat quarter quilt that is personalized to your child's style.
- Briar Rose Strip Quilt TutorialWith this fun fat quarter project, you can create a whimsical pattern using bright colors and fun prints to make an adorable baby quilt. Give your own little sleeping beauty the royal treatment with this pretty baby quilt tutorial.
- Fat Quarter FolderLet them pick out their favorite fat quarter quilt patterns and spend an afternoon spreading the joy of quilting to your loved ones with a free kid's quilt pattern.
- Fat Quarter Patchwork ScarfThis Fat Quarter Patchwork Scarf is adorable with a delicate pom-pom trim! Cut five fat quarters in coordinating colors and patterns into strips to create a brick pattern for a scarf long enough to wrap around your neck.
- Refracted Light Fat Quarter QuiltCreating a stunning display of sharp lines and colors within your quilt block patterns is simply a matter of cutting, and this tutorial will show you how much easier it is than you might think.
- Brick Pattern Fat Quarter QuiltIf you are yearning for a warm blanket, get started on this easy Brick Pattern Fat Quarter Quilt. It is a DIY fat quarter project for a comfortable kids quilt that is easy to make and even easier for them to love.
- Spring in Sweden Butterfly QuiltMake a gorgeous spring quilt for your little princess with this free kids quilt pattern. Travel to the spring meadows of Sweden with this adorable and sweet quilt pattern for girls.
- Dala Horse Fat Quarter QuiltThis precious little pony-covered quilt is created out of a fat quarter bundle and uses a horse die cut to create the pony shape.
Fat Quarter Baby Quilt Patterns
These adorable fat quarter baby quilt patterns are great quilted gifts to give to an expecting mother. You're sure to enjoy these helpful DIY quilting tutorials with step-by-step instructions.
- Afternoon Tango Baby Quilt TutorialMade using budget-friendly fat quarters, this tutorial for how to make a baby quilt uses simple strip piecing and lets you play around with the layout until you're completely satisfied.
- Fat Quarter Rainbow Baby QuiltSelect 6 fat quarters in all different colors for this Fat Quarter Rainbow Baby Quilt. The unique way of piecing the fabric in this baby quilt pattern creates a beautifully colorful effect.
- Fabulous Fat Quarter Baby QuiltThis baby stroller quilt pattern might give you enough fabric left over to make matching bows, hats, or handkerchiefs so that the little one can be decked out in decadent quilted wear.
- Bright and Cheery Fat Quarter Crib QuiltThe small dimensions of this DIY baby quilt makes the project less time consuming than a regular full-sized quilt. Make a fun and funky border for your quilt to practice your bordering technique.
- Ombre Baby Quilt PatternGrab some fat quarters and learn how to make a stunning and stylish baby quilt pattern that is shockingly easy to create.
- No-Fuss FQ Baby QuiltThe No-Fuss FQ Baby Quilt uses 9 fat quarters to create absurdly simple patchwork. The uncomplicated design and fast creation make it the perfect quilt for moms on-the-go.
Fat Quarter Patterns for DIY Accessories
Let your creativity run wild with these fun and functional fat quarter patterns. If you want to make small projects, these fat quarter quilt patterns are great ideas for using scrap quilt fabric.
- Pom Pom Patchwork ScarfTo get started on this simple quilting project, all you need is a selection of fat quarters in varying prints for the patchwork pattern, and some pom pom trim to create a playful border around your scarf.
- Fat Quarter Drawstring BagThe Fat Quarter Drawstring Bag is the perfect project to make if you only have a few fat quarters left over from other fat quarter quilt patterns.
- Fat Quarter Key FobTo make sure you never misplace your keys again, the Fat Quarter Key Fob tutorial distinguishes your keys from all the rest. Organization is always in style, so make your own key fobs today.
- Fat Quarter Zipper PouchThis zipper pouch pattern offers variety for beginners in quilting and experts in the field that like to challenge themselves with a patchwork design and a plain design.
- Posy Pocket Tote TutorialDesign a pretty and stylish DIY tote that's ideal for spring and summer with this gorgeous Posy Pocket Tote Tutorial. This simple tote bag tutorial shows you how to piece together a quick and easy quilted tote.
Easy Quilt Patterns Using Fat Quarters
If you're ready to make your first quilt, then you can't go wrong with fat quarters. These free fat quarter quilt patterns are the perfect way to take your quilting skills to the next level. From lap quilts to bed quilt patterns, these beginner quilt patterns are designed to use your prettiest fat quarters.
- Urban Scandinavian HST Quilt PatternThis Urban Scandinavian HST Quilt Pattern is a simple and chic quilt pattern that's simple enough for beginners and finishes at the perfect size for a king size bed.
- World Parcel Quilt PatternThis World Parcel Quilt Pattern features fat quarters in bright pops of color and is a simple, modern quilt that's light and airy for summer.
- Rainbow Rail Fence Quilt Tutorial This Rainbow Rail Fence Quilt Tutorial uses small strip quilt blocks and fat quarters, and is the perfect way to experiment with color value, monochromatic color schemes, or gorgeous batiks.
- Windsor Court Baby Quilt PatternTravel to a classic English garden without leaving your quilt studio with a free baby quilt pattern inspired by the British countryside.
- Love Squared Quilt PatternMade as an easy-to-download PDF, this free quilt pattern uses simple squares to create its pattern in snowy white, vibrant fuschia, and lipstick pink.
- Color Explosion Flying Geese TutorialThis quilting tutorial lets you create a rainbow of color using half-square triangles to make a graphically stunning quilt.
Looking for more precut ideas? Don't miss our collection of jelly roll quilt patterns! 45 Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns + New Jelly Roll Quilts
What are your favorite types of fat quarter projects? Be sure to let us know in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
45 Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns + New Jelly Roll Quilts
25 HST Quilt Patterns
Scrappy Armrest and Supply Saver Combo
900+ Free Quilting Patterns
23 Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
Quilter's Best Friend Supplies Cube
37 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
Fabric Scrap Basket
35 Free Star Quilt Patterns
Little Bird Quilt Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Comforts of Home: 21 House Quilt Patterns You'll Love
- City Loft Fusion Fabric Collection
- How to Bind a Quilt: 30 Pro Tips and Tutorials
- Bunny Hop Table Runner
- Busy Bee Art Quilt
- Altiora Fabric Collection
- 9 Reverse Applique Patterns
- Mabel's Mug Mat
- Scrappy Log Cabin Star
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns