37 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
The classics never go out of style! These free log cabin quilt patterns are perfect for beginners and advanced quilters.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Log cabin quilt designs are always a favorite with beginning quilters and expert quilters alike. The simple piecework has a timeless charm that lends itself to endless log cabin quilt variations. Explore the possibilities with these Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns, including: log cabin table quilts, log cabin blocks, log cabin throws and other creative projects made with log cabin variations!
If there's anything you want to have in your quilting skill set, it's a knowledge of log cabin quilt designs. The simplest log cabin quilt pattern, which consists of strips pieced around a center square successively until you have a block the size you want, is easy to sew and makes for colorful quilts. After mastering this basic technique, you can use different colors in strategic parts of your blocks.
Find more free quilt patterns in our free eNewsletter: Piecing It Together!
Don't miss out on the video below to learn all about how you can design and create your very own log cabin block design!
Table of Contents
What is a Log Cabin Quilt?
If you're new to quilting, one of the first types of quilt patterns that you're likely to encounter is the log cabin. But what is a log cabin quilt? A log cabin quilt, or log cabin quilt block, is one of the most popular traditional quilt patterns and is pieced together using strips of fabric, with a small square at the center of the block.
Log cabin quilt patterns are a staple in American quilting, and first rose to popularity during the time of the Civil War. Traditional log cabin quilts typically use a red center square, meant to symbolize the hearth of a home, and are often associated with the pioneer movement of the 1800s. Log cabin quilts were also used to symbolize stops on the Underground Railroad.
Log cabin quilts and quilt blocks are typically very easy and quick to make, given their use of strip piecing techniques. They work very well with scrap fabric, and present a natural way to play with color value in quilt design.
Log Cabin Quilting Block Designs
Learn how to make the building blocks of free log cabin quilt patterns. Log cabin blocks are a fantastic way to use your fabric scraps and are simple enough for quilting beginners to master. If you've been searching for ways to make a log cabin block, then you don't want to miss these tutorials.
Log Cabin Quilt Patterns for Home Decor
Give your house a homey, country feel with small log cabin quilt designs. A great way to take the basic log cabin block to the next level, this list of DIY home decor is filled with ways to add a splash of color to your home.
If you're short on time but have a craving to quilt, check out our free eBook, 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects. These free projects are simple and sweet, and a great way to flex those fingers for a few minutes. 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
Full Size Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
Make classic-looking laps, throws, and bed quilts. These patterns and tutorials for how to make a log cabin quilt are a great way to update your bedroom! And since log cabin quilts are designed for using fabric scraps, you don't have to worry about spending a fortune.
Creative Log Cabin Quilt Variations
Challenge yourself by using you log cabin designs in different ways. These unusual twists on the classic log cabin are ideal for challenging your quilting skills by creating some gorgeous modern quilts.
Find even more quit project ideas in our big collection of 101 Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More. 101+ Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More
Do you prefer full log cabin quilt patterns or using log cabin quilt block designs?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- 45 Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns + New Jelly Roll Quilts
- The Take Along Quilt
- 35+ Snuggly Free Rag Quilt Patterns
- 900+ Free Quilting Patterns
- 35 Free Star Quilt Patterns: Free Block Designs and Quilt Ideas
- 23 Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
- Circle of Wedges Quilt
- 37 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
- Quilting for Beginners: 21 Simple Quilt Patterns
- 28 Modern Quilt Patterns and Modern Quilt Ideas
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Delectable Stars Quilt Pattern
- Remember the Ghoul Times Mini Quilt
- Shabby Fabrics
- Disappearing 4-Patch Quilt with Layer Cakes
- 7 Must-Know Quilting Styles and Techniques
- Verna Tote Bag
- Checkerboard Scrappy Quilt
- Westcott Titanium Bonded Scissors
- Top 20 Free Scrap Quilt Patterns
- Making a Square for a Group Quilt Project
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns