Ann S. Lainhart
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Ann S. Lainhart considers herself a contemporary traditionalist when it comes to quilting. Much of her work is based on traditional quilt blocks — such as card trick, mariner’s compass, and eight-pointed Star. By using modern cottons, hand-dyed fabrics, border prints, and fussy cutting, she imparts her work with a very contemporary feel. In the last few years, she has been adapting Chinese lattice designs to quilting. These designs have been used in China for thousands of years, so Ann is basing her work on an old tradition. See her article in American Quilter, Spring, 1998.
Ann's bargello designs go back to the needlepoints of the Middle Ages, but in her color-shift bargellos, she makes use of all the marvelous new designs seen in modern cottons, including batiks and metallics. These color-shifts have at least 90 different fabrics and often more than 200. Ann's approach to color-shift bargello designs is described in American Quilter, Fall, 2001. Ann is the author of “Fussy Cut Mariner’s Compass,” which combines the elegance of the classic mariner’s compass block with the up-to-the-minute technique of fussy cutting for dramatic results.
Ann has been quilting since 1978 and teaching since 1987. While living in Boston, Ann S. Lainhart was a member of the Proper Bostonian Quilters. Now, she is a member of the Bayberry Quilters of Cape Cod, the East Coast Quilters Alliance, and the American Quilter’s Society. Ann has had quilts in the Vermont Quilt Festival (a third place ribbon); the New England Images shows; and the East Coast Quilters Alliance, A Quilter’s Gathering (a blue ribbon on a bargello jacket in 1998 and a white ribbon for hand quilting in 2001).
From 1999 through 2002, Ann was the proprietor of The Quilted Gallery in Rocky Neck Art Colony, Gloucester, Massachusetts. While there, she explored new ideas in her own work and met many wonderful people! She misses her studio overlooking Smith Cove, but she has now set up a studio in her home.
Quilters and sewers can still visit and shop from The Quilted Gallery online. Quilters can find art quilts, contemporary quilts, quilted clothing (wearable art), and more. Featured quilts are hand-crafted and can be used as bed coverings or wall hangings to adorn a home or office. If sewing or pieced quilting is your hobby, or if you're already an experienced quilter, take a look at the quilt patterns available, which include mariner’s compass, Chinese lattice designs, quilted bargello jackets, quilted bargello vests, and Ann's Christmas Ornaments pattern, which makes use of fabrics with metallic gold. Special delights include the color-shift bargello quilts and Ann's new line of sweep bargello quilts. Many are one-of-a-kind. Also featured are handmade kaleidoscope art cards and handmade fabric purses.
Ann enjoys giving slide shows, trunk shows, and workshops to quilt guilds and other groups.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Make an Outdoor Quilt
- Learn How to Straight Line Quilt
- Modern Quilted Christmas Stocking Pattern
- DIY Quilted Checkerboard Tutorial
- Beautiful and Modern Quilted Ornaments
- Soft and Breathable DIY Face Masks
- Versatile DIY Face Mask Pattern
- Free and Easy Striped Quilt Pattern
- Stepping Stones
- Churn Dash Quilt Block (in 4 Sizes!)
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns