22 Southwestern Quilts and Southwestern Quilt Ideas
This year, go Southwest with these bold and bright free quilt patterns and projects!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
One of the hottest trends in quilting right now is bold graphic patterns and prints inspired by the great American Southwest. The Southwest is one of the most unique areas of the country, which is reflected in the beautiful landscapes and culture of that region. Hop on the train of current quilting trends with this list of our favorite Southwestern-inspired quilt patterns and projects. These colorfully vibrant quilts and quilt blocks capture traditional patterns found in Southwestern culture, from the deserts of Arizona to the high mountain steeps of the Rockies.
There's literally a pattern or quilt project for everyone and anyone in this list of Southwestern quilt patterns. If you've always wanted to experiment with paper piecing or are looking for creative ways to use your charm packs, then you'll love these fun and fresh quilt ideas. We've also made sure to include quilts of all colors, from bright summery hues to rich and deep autumn shades that are perfect for fall. This year, go Southwest and embrace easy and edgy patterns with these gorgeous Southwestern quilt projects.
Table of Contents
Southwestern Quilt Patterns and Tutorials
Bring the signature colors and motifs of Southwestern style into your home with these stunning designs. From tribal quilts featuring ancient motifs to patterns that follow bold color schemes, the aesthetic of the free quilt patterns below will be sure to transport you to the warm and bright American Southwest.
Featuring a varitey of sizes and difficulty levels, you're sure to find the perfect project to meet your individual quilting needs. Whether you're looking for a larger pattern like a bed quilt or something small like the Diamond Totem Quilt Pattern (pictured here), each and every one of these Southwest quilts is sure to make a statement.
Perfect for your favorite prints or jelly rolls, this beginner-friendly quilt tutorial shows you how to cut and piece together a basic strip quilt in gorgeous Southwestern-inspired fabric.
This full-sized bed quilt uses jelly roll quilt patterns full of galloping horses, tanned cowboys, and dry desert scenes to create a truly unique pattern of strip quilt blocks.
The Desert Sunset Wall Quilt proves that you can still do piecework when making panel quilts. Slice up a Desert Nite panel and add purple and orange fabrics for a fiery quilt that incorporates the most beautiful colors of the desert.
If you have a fat quarter pack gathering dust that you just cannot decide what to do with, consider creating a lovely and traditional quilt pattern.
Design a gorgeous and simple throw quilt inspired by the American Southwest with this Squash Blossom Throw Quilt Tutorial!
This challenging tutorial comes with a free printable PDF pattern and printable triangle template.
This gorgeous Southwestern-inspired pattern uses half-square triangles to create a vibrant design that's strong and stylish.
Looking for even more great quilt patterns? Then you'll love our popular list of modern quilts and quilt projects! 28 Modern Quilt Patterns and Modern Quilt Ideas
Southwestern Quilt Block Patterns and Mini Quilts
In love with Southwestern designs but still new to quilting? Don't fret! We have something small and simple included below that is perfect for you. Create a quick quilt project like a block pattern or mini quilt to show off your love of Southwest style.
Many of the patterns below use the common and simple half-square triangle and flying geese techniques, which naturally create a Southwestern asthetic and is a great method for quilting novices. The best part? Most of these small and simple quilt patterns can be completed in just a few hours and many even use precut fabric!
Using three lovely colors, this free quilt block pattern can be rotated while quilting to find several different looking quilts that are all classic yet quirky.
Whether you want to create a neutral design or go crazy with colors, this block looks lovely on its own or it can be used to create a quilt you are sure to adore.
Use these hand-stitched hexies to create a cute cactus that makes an adorable addition to any piece of quilted decor.
The Arizona Star Block Pattern is inspired by the starry skies of an Arizona desert and will look lovely in your home.
Hang this refreshing quilt anywhere in the house for a burst of happiness. The pastel colors of the feather patterns contrast nicely with the dark background of the quilt, making them pop!
This rustic paper piecing pattern is a wonderful way to channel a primitive and country-inspired vibe by creating a beautiful quilt block.
This gorgeous star quilt pattern is inspired by the beautiful designs of Navajo blankets, and it can add a Southwestern to your home.
Forget about traditional quilt blocks and create a bright and modern block that follows the trend of southwestern themed patterns!
Free Flying Geese Quilt Block Patterns
What do you love about the American Southwest?
Be sure to leave a comment below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Easy Four Patch Quilt Pattern Ombre Sunset
- The Take Along Quilt
- Scrumptious Scrappy Four Square Pincushion
- 12 Inch Quilt Block Patterns
- Fat Quarter Organizer Bins
- Miami Connections Block Quilt Tutorial
- The Guide to Quilt Sizes for Beds
- 45 Star Quilt Patterns
- Quilt Coloring Book: 10 Quilt Coloring Pages to Print
- 45+ Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Simple Ornate Celestial Quilt Pattern
- Double Orange Peel Quilt Block (with Denim Background)
- Favorite Fast Four Patch Quilt Pattern For Beginners
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Witch Hat Halloween Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- The Perfect Log Cabin Quilt Block Tutorial
- How To Sew Quilted Potholder Tutorial Pattern
- Solar System Mug Rug
- Old Glory Quilt Pattern
- Beginner Baby Cheater Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns