50+ Quilt Blocks: Free Quilt Block Patterns and Quilting Block Ideas
Learn how to make a quilt block with these beginner block patterns and tutorials!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Our collection of Quilt Blocks: Free Quilt Block Patterns and Quilting Block Ideas takes all our best free quilt blocks and gathers them in once place. This wide variety of quilt block techniques and traditional quilt blocks covers every type and breed of block! If you like applique, we have several tutorials for how to applique a quilt in new and unique ways. If quilt-as-you-go patterns are more your style, we have several of those as well.
Quilting blocks are such a great way to practice your quilting techniques and build new skills. You can use scrap fabric to save money as you try new designs and even come up with fresh variations all your own. Make a quilt that you and your family will love for generations out of one of these quilt block patterns.
Star quilt patterns, scrap quilt patterns, and patterns for piecing ... there's something for everyone in this collection!
Learn how to make a classic nine patch block by checking out our video from Carolina Moore!
Table of Contents
- What is a Quilt Block?
- Applique Quilt Block Patterns
- Scrap Quilt Block Ideas
- How to Make a Star Block
- Paper Piecing Block Patterns
- Quilt-As-You-Go Quilt Block Projects
- Flying Geese Block Patterns
- Dresden Plate Quilt Blocks
- Flower Block Patterns
- Free Log Cabin Block Ideas
- How to Make a Nine Patch Block
- Pinwheel DIY Quilt Blocks
- String Block Patterns
- How to Make a Pineapple Quilt Block
What is a Quilt Block?
If you're new to quilting, one of the most common quilting terms you'll hear over and over is 'quilt block'. But what is a quilt block? Quilt blocks are the building blocks of traditional quilts. Typically between 6 - 12 inches, quilt blocks are individually pieced squares whose designs are repeated and then stitched together to create a quilt top. Typically made from quilting cotton, quilt blocks are one of the most important parts of creating a traditional quilt, although some modern quilts shy away from using blocks and instead use strips or free form designs.
What makes quilt blocks so special is that they're used to display classic quilt patterns, from flying geese patterns to star designs. Often made with half square triangles, quilt blocks are the perfect beginner project to try out before making your first full quilt, and they take the complicated process of making a quilt and break it down into easier steps. If you're new to quilting and are intimidated by the quilting process, choose one of the quilt block patterns listed below to take your first step into the world of quilting!
Applique Quilt Block Patterns
- This simple flower block uses a combination of traditional piecing and applique, and is the best way to celebrate spring.
- Candy Hearts Quilt BlockThe Candy Hearts Quilt Block is a fun, quilt quilt pattern that will allow you to dress up your home on short notice.
- Soothing Circles Raw Edge AppliqueThis Soothing Circles Raw Edge Applique tutorial is excellent for a lot of reasons, but primarily because it is the simplest, easiest-to-follow applique quilt pattern you'll ever find.
- Simple Reverse Applique TutorialThe Simple Reverse Applique tutorial is the perfect way to learn how to reverse applique.
Scrap Quilt Block Ideas
- Kansas Dust Storm Block PatternDesign a vintage-inspired quilt block that dates back to the 1930s with this Kansas Dust Storm Block Pattern.
- The Boardwalk BlockThis scrappy quilt pattern can use just about any type of fabric - jelly rolls, charm packs, yardage ... if you've got it, you can make this quilt block pattern.
- Wonky Herringbone Quilt BlockThis improv quilt tutorial uses careful piecing and a dash of spontaneity to create a herringbone quilt block which has a lot of life and movement.
- Modern Geometric BlocksThese Modern Geometric Blocks would be great sampler quilt blocks or mug rug patterns!
- Plaid and Simple Quilt BlockThe Plaid and Simple Quilt Block is great for making scrap strip quilts.
How to Make a Star Block
- Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt BlockTurn a simple eight-pointed starflower block into a rainbow block with this Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block tutorial.
- Builder's Star Quilt BlockThe Builder's Star Quilt Block is a play on the carpenter's star quilt block design.
- Megan's Star Block TutorialThis star quilt block pattern makes ample use of triangles, color, and contrasts to create an absolutely stunning final product.
- Joyce's Star Quilt BlockThe elegant blue and gray design on these quilt blocks uses flying geese units to form star quilt blocks shaped just like diamonds in the sky.
- Learn how to avoid using tricky Y-seams in most bright hopes blocks with this tutorial, and then incorporate these creative star quilt blocks into your next star quilt.
- Bryan's Star Quilting BlockIf you've never learned how to make flying geese, these instructions will introduce you to that basic and versatile quilting unit.
- Two Tone Star BlockShake things up with the Two Tone Star Block, which uses a paper piecing pattern to give more depth to your quilt block patterns.
Paper Piecing Block Patterns
- Snow Crystal Block PatternUsing a simple and easy design, this paper piecing pattern lets you create beautiful snowflakes that you can turn into a full quilt or sweet baby quilt.
- Triangle Pieced Acorn BlockBring a little woodsy touch to your home decor with this gorgeous quilt block!
- This awesome new twist on the traditional pinwheel quilt pattern is perfect for any quilter looking to take their quilts to the next level.
- Sliced Improv Quilt Block PatternUse improvisational quilting to make small quilt blocks you can arrange according to your own design.
Quilt-As-You-Go Quilt Block Projects
- Bloomin' Quilt As You Go BlockWatch as your quilt block patterns seem to bloom right in front of you as you piece together your fabric scraps.
- Bear Mountain QAYG BlockDesign a gorgeous winter quilt block in stunning icy hues like snowy white and frost blue with this quilt as you go tutorial.
- Simple Seaside Boardwalk Quilt As You Go BlockYou absolutely will not find a more elegant quilt block, and this one makes such beautiful use of color and design to create the sense of walking down the boardwalk after a long day at the beach.
- Quilt As You Go Log Cabin BlockUse whatever methods you're most comfortable with to piece together lovely log cabin quilting block designs for your next full quilt pattern.
Flying Geese Block Patterns
- Into the Sunset Flying Geese BlockCreate a gorgeous play on ombre colors by taking a traditional block pattern and giving it a modern update with this Into the Sunset Flying Geese Block.
- Flying Geese Blocks Made EasyLearn how to make flying geese a breeze with these nifty tips and tricks.
- Flock of Geese HST BlockThis adorable little hst block creates a "flying v" of geese that is so simple and understated, but incredibly elegant.
- Flying Geese Pinwheel Block PatternThis creative quilt block combines both flying geese quilt patterns and pinwheel quilt patterns.
- Dutchman's Puzzle Quilt BlockWatch your fabric really come to life after using them to make this free quilt block pattern.
Dresden Plate Quilt Blocks
- Simple Dresden Block TutorialMade with delicate shades of pink, this easy dresden block is a nod to vintage quilting while playing with girly and modern prints and colors.
- Dresden Fan BlockFollow this detailed tutorial to learn how to expertly trim scrap strip quilt fabrics into a lovely twist on a classic Dresden plate quilt design.
- Ultra Modern Dresden BlockDare to be bold and edgy with your quilt block patterns by making this variation on a standard Dresden plate pattern, the Ultra Modern Dresden Block.
- Swirling Dresden BlockYou can create something bold and eye-popping or something more playful and sweet all depending on the colors you choose for your Dresden plates.
Flower Block Patterns
- Scottish Thistle QAYG BlockCelebrate the beauty of the Scottish Highlands with a fun quilt as you go project that's perfect for using up your prettiest quilting scraps.
- Dutch Rose Block TutorialJourney to the beautiful countryside of the Netherlands with this stunning DIY quilt block that's perfect for spring or summer.
- Quatrefoil Quilt Block PatternA perfect fat quarter quilting project, this free quilt block pattern comes as a printable PDF and looks absolutely stunning when made with sky blues and pretty pinks.
- Back Porch Blooms"This large quilt block is great for the beginner to advanced quilter."
Free Log Cabin Block Ideas
- Log Cabin Block PatternYou can make this specific block pattern in one night. Plus, if you are following along with our Block of the Month videos, you are probably more than ready for quilt block number four!
- Two Tone Log Cabin Quilt BlockThis log cabin layout allows for a really dynamic and beautiful contrast between your two fabric shades.
- Nightfall QAYG Log Cabin BlockCreate an utterly bewitching block in a classic design that quilters can't get enough of with this Nightfall QAYG Log Cabin Block.
- Classic Log Cabin BlockThis extra simple, free quilt block template shows you how to create an 8.5 inch square log cabin block.
- Log Cabin Lemon BlockCheck out this Log Cabin Lemon Block tutorial to learn how to easily piece together an unexpected pattern constructed out of unique log cabin quilt block patterns.
How to Make a Nine Patch Block
- Mary Ingalls Nine Patch Block TutorialA great project for charm squares, this nine patch block can be sewn in under an hour, and uses a 2.5" border of white fabric to make the colors of your nine patch pop.
- Scrappy Nine Patch Quilt BlockThis awesome, scrappy quilt project creates a colorful quilt block that you can sew together in no time.
- Flower Power Nine PatchThis funky, unique fabric flower would look amazing on a baby quilt or a lap quilt pattern.
- Nine Patch Quilt Block PatternThis How to Make a Nine Patch Block quilting video is the perfect video to start of any quilt.
- Flying Nine Patch BlockGive your nine patch quilt block patterns a little variety by designing them using this Flying Nine Patch Block pattern.
Pinwheel DIY Quilt Blocks
- Half Square Triangle Quilt Block PatternReady for another fun and simple block quilt pattern? This Half Square Triangle Block Pattern is the next quilt block in the Block of the Month series with Carolina Moore.
- Danish Pinwheel Star Block TutorialCombine two traditional quilt patterns into one beautiful quilt block that embodies everything classic with this easy quilting tutorial.
- Lucky Pieces Quilt BlockMake a modern quilt block that has ties back to the Jazz Age with this quick and fun Lucky Pieces Quilt Block.
- Starry Pinwheel Block PatternThe Starry Pinwheel Block Pattern is two free quilt block patterns in one.
String Block Patterns
- Classic String Quilt Block TutorialString quilts are perfect for cleaning out your fabric stash, so get ready to break out your prettiest scraps for this Classic String Quilt Block Tutorial.
- Basic String Block TutorialThis Basic String Block Tutorial has roots within Depression Era quilting and can be made with quilt batting or with foundation paper piecing.
- This free quilt block tutorial will show you how to make the coolest ever string quilt project.
- Special String Quilt BlockThis free project is an awesome scrapbuster for anyone with a lot of leftover fabric.
How to Make a Pineapple Quilt Block
- Scrapbuster Pineapple BlockGreat for scraps, bursting with color, and absolutely stunning, this block is perfect for anything from a full bed quilt to a beautiful wall hanging.
- Pineapple Block Paper Piecing TutorialIntricate-looking blocks can feel intimidating at times, however this pattern uses the paper piecing technique to create an easy-to-make block you can feast your eyes upon once you're finished.
- Use some scrappy quilt leftovers or a seasonal color scheme for some quilt blocks with a contemporary vibe.
- Grandma's Favorite Pineapple Quilt BlockGrandma's Favorite Pineapple Quilt Block is a fun, intricate design that can be made with scraps.
What's your favorite quilt pattern of all time? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Design a gorgeous and light quilt for spring that's the perfect way to show off cheerful colors and pretty prints with this Betsy… Continue reading: "Betsy Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern"
- Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block
- Happy Birthday Block Tutorial
- Wandering Star Quilt Pattern
- Whimsical Whirlwind Block Pattern
- Starry Time Star Block Tutorial
- Step It Up Block Tutorial
- Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block
- Celtic Squares Block
- Half Square Triangles from a Jelly Roll
- Magic 8 Method Tutorial for HSTs
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns