35 Free Star Quilt Patterns: Free Block Designs and Quilt Ideas
You can never go wrong with a classic! These traditional star quilt patterns are truly timeless.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Star quilt patterns are the quintessential patchwork quilt designs. They are incredibly versatile and fairly easy to piece. Check out our list of 27 Star Quilt Patterns: Free Block Designs and Quilt Ideas for all the star quilting tutorials you'll ever need!
New quilters can get started with star quilt patterns for beginners, while more advanced quilters can try one of the more complex and creative star quilt block patterns that are sure to make any quilt shine.
Besides the free star quilt patterns, we will go over What is a Star Quilt? and other variations of the pattern. If you like traditional quilt blocks and patterns or enjoy combining traditional with modern styles, then you are going to love all of the quilt ideas found in this collection.
Plus! Don't miss our video on how to make a basic star block. It evens shows you how to create a pretty DIY quilted pillow! Follow along with our friend Carolina Moore by clicking play on the video right below!
Table of Contents
Simple Star Quilt Blocks
These simple star quilt patterns, free of any complicated piecing, are the basic building blocks of all star quilt patterns. If you're new to quilting and have never made a quilt block before, then the traditional star is a fantastic place to start. A great way to practice working with half square triangles and basic piecing, these easy star designs are a must for beginner quilters.
Star Quilt Blocks Made with Half-Square Triangles
These star quilt blocks are some of our easiest quilt block patterns. Typical star blocks use a mixture of half square triangles, a basic technique used in traditional quilting, or quarter square triangles, to create their classic design. Grab your favorite precuts and start making HSTs, because we know you won't be able to resist these easy star blocks.
- Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block
"I love designing Star quilts, and if I can design something to use up some of my ever growing scrap stash, well that is just a double bonus! Add in a Rainbow of scraps in that Star design, and well, it just doesn't get much better than that! This Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block really is a culmination of my favorites in quilting!" -Melissa from happyquiltingmelissa.com
- Aunt Eliza's Star
- Star Flower Quilt Block
- Pastel Patchwork Star Block Tutorial
Want to try a new shape for your next quilt? Log cabins are the latest trend. Look at this article for 37 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns. 38 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
Creative Star Quilt Blocks
Spice up your ho-hum star quilt patterns with some unusual star blocks. These star quilt blocks are variations of classic 8 point stars, and include more intricate piecing and cutting. If you've mastered the classic star, then these fun quilt blocks are a great way to take your skills to the next level.
Six-Pointed Star Quilt Patterns
Six-pointed stars are a bit uncommon in the quilting world, but these patterns show how bright they can shine! These six point star designs are full quilt patterns that you won't be able to resist showing off. Six point stars are a great way to play with design and direction, so don't be afraid to try out different quilting methods.
- Counting Stars Bed Quilt Tutorial
'I came up with this design because 1, I love stars and 2, I wanted to design a quilt with large blocks to showcase fabrics with large patterns. This is a very easy and simple quilt to make that has a "wow"effect!" -Sachiko Aldous from tearosehome.blogspot.com
- Smoky Mountain Stars Quilt
- Six-Pointed Star Wall Hanging
- Bright Stretched Stars Throw
King and Queen Size Star Quilts
Cover your bedroom in stars with these gorgeous star quilt patterns! If your bed's in need of a serious makeover, then these free quilt patterns and tutorials are the perfect way to show off your star-making skills.
Full and Twin Size Star Quilts
Make a quilt for a guest bedroom or kid's bedroom with these star quilt patterns. These DIY star quilts also work as cozy and comfy throw and lap quilts, so if you've been searching for the best quilt to snuggle up with, be sure to check out these tutorials.
Star Quilt Throw Patterns
Make a star quilt pattern free of the cost and time of a larger quilt. The best part about these lap and throw quilts is that they're large enough to snuggle with but are small enough to easily carry around. These medium size quilts also make beautiful wall hangings!
- Giant Vintage Starflower Quilt
- Golden Hunter's Star Quilt
- Beautiful Diamonds Star Quilt
- Pin Up Star Table Runner
- New England Cross Star Block
- Ohio Stars and Rails Quilt
- Star Sampler Quilt Pattern
- Starry Night Baby Quilt
- Scrappy Postage Stamp Star Quilt Block
- Out of This World Star Quilt Block
- 8-Point Lone Star Quilt
Bonus: What is a Star Quilt?
Star blocks and star quilt patterns are popular quilting designs that have been around for hundreds of years, but if you're new to quilting, you may be asking yourself, 'What is a star quilt?' Star quilts are given their name as they resemble evening stars, and can be composed of star blocks or one large star at the center of a quilt.
Star quilt blocks are typically made with 6 or 8 points and are composed of squares and half square triangles, although they can also be made using quarter square triangles.
There are several variations of the traditional star block, including lone star blocks, which are also known as Star of Bethlehem and morning star designs. Lone star blocks are quite intricate and were named for the state of Texas, becoming popular after the fall of the Alamo.
Star quilts are also traditional designs within different Native American communities, in particular, the Lakota tribe, where intricate star designs hold special significance (If you're interested in the history of Native American star quilts, we recommend this excellent article by Cheyenne Cartwright, "Native American Star Quilt History"). Whether you're new to quilting or are looking to step up your skills, be sure to check out all of our excellent star quilt patterns listed below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Have you ever realized that making quilt block patterns can be one of the most enjoyable and easy ways to use your old scrappy quilt… Continue reading: "Stacks & Stacks of Scraps Quilt Block"
- Little Bird Quilt Pattern
- Fat Quarter Flagged Quilt Pattern
- 26 Free 12-Inch Quilt Block Patterns
- Gracie Girl Blooming Flower
- Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns We Love
- 38 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
- 26 Charming Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
- 24 Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns
- 900+ Free Quilting Patterns
- 35 Free Star Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free and Easy Striped Quilt Pattern
- Stepping Stones
- Churn Dash Quilt Block (in 4 Sizes!)
- Half Square Triangles - 4 At A Time Method
- Pro-Stitcher Designer Software
- Quilt Coloring Book: 10 Quilt Coloring Pages to Print
- Quarantine Bingo: Quilting Edition
- Quilt Project Tracker (Free Printable PDF)
- Little Blue Lake Quilt Block
- Art Deco Tulip Block Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns