25 Half Square Triangle Quilt Patterns
Make quilt patterns using triangles with these HST quilt ideas.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
When it comes to versatility and ease in quilting, few things can compare to the usefulness of half square triangles, which is what inspired us to list our top 25 Half Square Triangle Quilt Patterns.
Also known as HST quilt patterns, with a few small pieces, you can design a whole range of easy quilt block and quilt patterns. One of the best things about half square triangle quilt patterns is that they are just as easy as they are stunning.
Utilizing a variety of colors and the clean, geometric look of triangles, these half square triangle quilts can effortlessly become modern quilting patterns or be combined to make more traditional diamond and star quilt patterns.
You will not need a ton of fabric to explore these HST triangle quilt patterns, but the results will be absolutely stunning. Quilting does not have to be complicated. Half square triangles are the perfect types of quilts for new quilters to try out. It is very easy to design quilt blocks or even full quilt patterns with these handy three-sided friends.
If you do not know how to make half square triangles, we have compiled a list of helpful and easy quilting tutorials to help you get started.
Before you scroll down and check out the half square triangle quilt patterns, free block patterns, and other projects, watch the video below and read up on how to use half square triangles while quilting. You are going to feel like an expert in no time!
Table of Contents
If you are looking for more quilting patterns, check out Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
How to Make Half Square Triangles
Before we get to the patterns, we want to share a tutorial for making half square triangles. Our friend Carolina Moore has a video explaining how to accurately cut hst blocks. Watch the video below or click here for her Half Square Triangle Block Pattern.
Whether you already know and need a refresher or want to earn how to make half square triangles, you can utilize in all of your half square triangle quilts and blocks designs in this helpful, quick, and simple free quilting video.
Techniques for Cutting Half Square Triangles
Wait, there is even more to go over before you check out the block and quilt patterns below. Before you get started on your newest half square triangle quilts, be sure you brush up on your techniques.
- How to Use a Half Square Triangle RulerMake sure any of your half square triangles are accurate. Next time you run across some half square triangle quilt patterns, check out some half square triangle quilting rulers to help you do the job.
- Super Easy Half Square TrianglesGrab some scraps and use this tutorial to make your first pieces. This method for making Super Easy Half Square Triangles may use a lot of fabric, but it's a quick and simple way to cut and piece for half square triangle quilt patterns.
- Eight Square Method for Making Half Square TrianglesIf you have a bit more experience, try this half square triangle instructions. Half square triangle quilt patterns, also known as HSTs, are made in this technique tutorial. Learn how to make HST quilts quickly.
- How to Chain Piece Half Square TrianglesLearn how to chain piece HST pieces while you are quilting. Every quilter, no matter their experience level, knows how to create and sew with half square triangles. These easy-to-cut pieces for quilting make stunning designs and make quilting just a little bit easier.
Half Square Triangle Quilt Block Patterns
Just because they're a certain shape doesn't mean you can't be creative with your HST quilt block patterns. These designs are beautiful and unique, so give them all a chance.
- Candy Pinwheel Quilt BlocksHSTs can become eye-catching pinwheel quilt patterns in minutes. Make Candy Pinwheel Quilt Blocks in monochromatic color schemes, and then join the different colored blocks for a brightly-colored, graphic quilt.
- Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt BlockSuch an intricate-looking pattern like a star quilt can be so easy to make. Turn a simple eight-pointed starflower block into a rainbow block with this Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block tutorial.
- Twice Around the BlockBold prints make this half square triangle quilt a geometric maze of color. The Twice Around the Block is a half square triangle quilt block pattern that uses color values to create a diamond pattern.
- Two at a Time Hourglass BlocksMake half square triangle quilts with a charming pattern. Learn how to make quick hour glass quilt patterns with this tutorial for Two at a Time Hourglass Blocks.
- Smooth Sailing Quilt BlockBe imaginative and send your half square triangle quilt block pattern sailing. For a fun, flowy quilting pattern, use this Smooth Sailing Quilt Block to chill out and catch some imaginary waves when you are not at the beach.
- Starry Skyline BlockMake a free quilt block pattern inspired by the modern marvels of your favorite city's skyline. A breathtaking quilt block pattern is just a few half square triangles away with the Starry Skyline Block.
- Midnight Kaleidoscope BlockMake this trippy pattern with half square triangles of three different colors. The Midnight Kaleidoscope Block shows you how to use traditional half square triangle pieces to create a free quilting block pattern to create a block that resembles a kaleidoscope.
- Arizona Star Block PatternMake star quilts with some state pride when you use this free block pattern. The Arizona Star Block Pattern is inspired by the starry skies of an Arizona desert and will look lovely in your home.
Quilt Patterns Using Half Square Triangles
Take the first step towards some brand new half square triangle quilts. These HST quilt patterns are a mix of traditional and modern and have all sorts of different designs. No matter the style you're looking for, you will definitely find a half square triangle quilt pattern to make from what's listed below.
- Beginners will love working with HST quilt designs like this. The Simple Stashbusting Half-Square Triangle Quilt is an excellent way to use a huge variety of scraps and even fabrics that you don't care for.
- Rainbow Diva QuiltAnyone looking to make a noticeable quilt will want this on their list of half square triangle quilts. This Rainbow Diva Quilt makes a perfect DIY gift idea for that fashionista in your family or group of friends.
- Strawberry Fields QuiltThink outside the box with how you use your quilting pieces. The recognizable colors and unique patterns make strawberries a very recognizable fruit, which ensures that this Strawberry Fields Quilt will be a big hit.
- Red Diamond HST PatternDiamonds are a girl's best friends, and this free quilting pattern uses HST triangles to create a gorgeous bedroom quilt. You will not find many lap quilt patterns that resemble this Red Diamond HST Pattern.
- Quick Triangles Baby QuiltUtilized half-square triangles to make a baby quilt pattern lightning fast. It only takes an evening to make the Quick Triangles Baby Quilt. Coordinate your fat quarter quilt patterns and start making half square triangle quilt patterns right away.
- Fresh Diamonds QuiltHello, shimmer and shine! Make this half square triangle quilting pattern for your home. Make the Fresh Diamonds Quilt with a pretty charm pack cut and pieced into half-square triangles. This charm quilt pattern will not disappoint you, no matter what prints and colors you use.
- Brotherly Love Half Square Triangle QuiltThis Brotherly Love Half Square Triangle Quilt. Using half square triangle quilt patterns that are both big and small, just like your own children, you can piece together an easy quilt block pattern. You could also make this quilt as a gift for a younger or older sibling.
- Avalon Scrappy Summer QuiltCombine old quilting scraps and a summer quilt pattern into one lovely scrappy idea. To make this Avalon Scrappy Summer quilt, simply read the tutorial to learn how to combine your pretty floral fabrics and half square triangles into a mesmerizing design.
HST Quilt Designs for Home Decor
Add a modern twist to your home decor with your half square triangles. That's right, it's not just quilt blocks and quilts that can be made with half square triangles. Find pillows, bags, table runners, and much more, all made with these geometric beauties.
- On Point Frames Quilted PillowLounge in luxury without spending store prices. The On Point Frames Quilted Pillow is a deceptive pattern that looks like squares set on point within squares but involves carefully coordinated half square triangles.
- Zigzag Ricrac Table RunnerAll eyes will be on the playful pattern on this quilted table runner. The Zigzag Ricrac Table Runner will come together in just an evening with the simple half-square triangle piecework. Add ricrac trim to make the chevron pattern pop.
- Underwater Stripes Quilted BagUse your favorite fabrics to make half square triangles into a super cute quilted bag. Learn how to make a simple quilt purse out of red and blue half square triangles with this Underwater Stripes Quilted Bag pattern.
- Kaleidoscope Quilt Block PillowLearn how to quilt a pillow that uses half-square triangles to make a stunning design for your DIY home decor. The Kaleidoscope Quilt Block Pillow would be a quick way to add some new colors to your home with easy quilting patterns.
- Happy Harvest Mug RugsUse half square triangles and pretty piecework to make these adorable Happy Harvest Mug Rugs. This free quilting pattern shows you how to make a mug rug pattern that easily adds some autumnal flair to any home.
- Modern Patchwork DIY Wall ArtBONUS! This artwork is a unique way to show your love for triangles. Believe us when we say that this DIY art will work in almost every living room or bedroom.
HST Chart (Download)
Want a handy chart? Click to download our Half Square Triangle Chart and never wonder what the measurements are again!
Put the home in homemade with the easy quilting projects in DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Scrappy Armrest and Supply Saver Combo
25 Half Square Triangle Quilt Patterns
45 Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns + New Jelly Roll Quilts
900+ Free Quilting Patterns
14 Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns
37 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
23 Precut Fabric Quilt Patterns: Jelly Roll, Charm Pack, Fat Quarter Patterns, and More
35 Free Star Quilt Patterns: Free Block Designs and Quilt Ideas
The Take Along Quilt
23 Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Flying Kite Paper Piecing Pattern
- Fiskars Total Control Non-Stick Scissors
- Square Dance Mini Quilt
- Sunny Log Cabin Quilt
- Vintage Vacation Quilt
- Striped Chevrons Baby Quilt Tutorial
- Charming Lucy Quilt Pattern
- Patchwork Bunny Buddies
- Simple and Sweet Bricks Quilt
- 20+ English Paper Piecing Patterns and Tutorials
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns