English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek by Vicki Bellino
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek
By Vicki Bellino
Gifted by Martingale & Co.
Reviewed by Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek is a wonderful introduction to the art of English paper piecing. Author and designer Vicki Bellino includes 12 truly beautiful quilt patterns that showcase the versatility of the technique. This book goes far beyond the traditional honeycomb hexagon patterns and grandmother's flower garden motifs. Combining applique, machine piecing, and English paper piecing, Bellino invites readers to discover and share the joy of hand piecing!
If you thought English paper piecing was about stitching endless hexagons together, this book open your eyes to the possibilities of this piecing method. Bellino includes quilt patterns for not only hexagons, but also diamonds, Dresden plate segments (and their chrysanthemum-petal cousins), and pentagons. She shows plenty of ways the shapes can be combined to create beautiful design motifs. From stars to flowers and everything in between, Bellino demonstrates how English paper piecing is used to create unusual piecework and applique.
English Paper Piecing: Fresh New QUilts from Bloom Creek is divided into three chapters of patterns, with each chapter characterized by the shapes that are used in the pattern. The Hexagons chapter, which may be the most intriguing to quilters who are just beginning to explore English paper piecing, includes three patterns. The first, Suitable for Framing, shows how hexagon flowers can be used not as a central design motif, but as a border to show off swaths of attractive fabric. In the Black and Red and Gold All Over quilt and the Spinagons quilts, Bellino again turns the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern on its head, showing how the classic layout can be altered to create more interesting designs.
Bellino is most prolific in the Diamonds chapter, where she plays with star flowers (rings of diamonds with applique centers), combining them with elements like applique stems and log cabin blocks to make gorgeous quilts. She also shows how diamonds can be used in more geometric patterns as well, designing quilts that contrast nicely with her more floral patterns and show her versatility as a designer. The final chapter, a sampling of Dresden plate and pentagon patterns, brings readers bright, playful patterns that every quilter will want to make.
Whether you're a devoted paper piecer or completely new to the technique, English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek provides creative and unique new patterns that will deepen your appreciation for this time-honored piecing method.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Fiskars Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter
- Chance to win the Heather Fabric Collection!
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Chance to win Brushstrokes by Pepper Cory Fat Quarter Bundle!
- 10-Minute Blocks by Suzanne McNeill
- Pro-Stitcher Designer Software
- English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek by Vicki Bellino
- Simplicity Bias Tape Maker
- Little House on the Prairie Fabric
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Handmade Fabric Christmas Village
- Quilt As You Go Scrappy Christmas Ornament Tutorial
- Fabric Kimekomi Christmas Ornaments
- Merry & Cheer Quilted Christmas Table Runner Pattern
- Winter Trees Quilted Table Runner
- Simple Ornate Celestial Quilt Pattern
- Double Orange Peel Quilt Block (with Denim Background)
- Favorite Fast Four Patch Quilt Pattern For Beginners
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Witch Hat Halloween Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns