Blocks, Borders, Quilts! A Mix-and-Match Workbook for Designing Your Own Quilts
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Blocks, Borders, Quilts! A Mix-and-Match-Workbook for Designing Your Own Quilts
By Sunny Steinkuhler
Gifted by Martingale
Reviewed by Kathryn Wright, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
Sometimes, all a quilter needs to get motivated to start their newest quilt pattern is an amazing quilt block pattern, and you'll find plenty in Blocks, Borders, Quilts! A Mix-and-Match Workbook for Designing Your Own Quilts. This big book has been uniquely organized with the potential to provide quilters with not only a series of classic quilt block patterns, but also encourage individuality with a series of custom borders, templates, and constructions techniques that will allow you to make a quilt pattern that's totally you.
There's no book quite like this. Author Sunny Steinkuhler provides readers with a well thought out approach that will give beginner quilters guidance in regards to the creation of their first quilt blocks, as well as give more experienced quilters the space to experiment with the templates and patterns, mixing and matching them to create something entirely new. All one needs to do is flip to one of the offered sections on quilt block designs or border ideas, and get started. With the "Medallion Template" that Steinkuhler encourages readers to utilize when building their blocks, piecing together the quilt block of your dreams will be so easy.
Sections including quilt block patterns, "12" Blocks" (pg. 13) and "6" Blocks", have both original and classic designs, with each broken down into small illustrations. Though these patterns do not have full instructions, the charts provided tell you how you should cut and measure everything, and uses labels within the illustrations to make sure you know what you'll be working on. Each project also specifies which foundation piecing pattern you can use, referring to the big collection in the back of the book. You can familiarize yourself with a lot of terminology when it comes to the names of more well known block patterns, and see how these patterns can be combined and varied in order to create your ideal block pattern.
What makes this book stand out even more is its approach to adding borders. You're given 4 entire sections on borders with plenty of shapes, motifs, and piecing techniques to highlight the colors and patterns within your quilt block. Every part of your quilt block is seen as important here.
There's no other book like Blocks, Borders, Quilts! A Mix-and-Match-Workbook for Designing Your Own Quilts, and no quilter should pass this up. Whenever you're in need of some inspiration or a little guidance for your next quilt pattern, just open this up and you'll find your answer in no time.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
If you are looking for a great DIY graduation gift for a scholar in your life, free quilting patterns are a creative and useful… Continue reading: "Graduation Keepsake Quilt for Her"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Circa 52 from Birch Fabrics
- Sweetheart Houses Pattern from Shabby Fabrics
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Chance to win Fabric Traditions Pre-Quilted Fabrics!
- Win a Joie de Vivre Fat Quarter Bundle!
- Little House on the Prairie Fabric
- Win a quilting book bundle!
- Chance to win the Orange Blossom Quilt Block Pattern!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Double Orange Peel Quilt Block (with Denim Background)
- Favorite Fast Four Patch Quilt Pattern For Beginners
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Witch Hat Halloween Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- The Perfect Log Cabin Quilt Block Tutorial
- How To Sew Quilted Potholder Tutorial Pattern
- Solar System Mug Rug
- Old Glory Quilt Pattern
- Beginner Baby Cheater Quilt Pattern
- How To Make A Butterfly Garden Table Runner
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns