This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Nine Patch Bed Quilt Pattern
Looking for a beginner pattern that doubles as a great gift for a young man? The Nine Patch Bed Quilt Pattern is a great option for you! Follow along with the full pattern below to learn how you can make your own nine patch quilt pattern today.
From the Designer: "This quilt was one that I made for a friend who requested that it be made for a senior in high school. Being for a young man I used cotton material of plaids and solids. I designed it so as no two blocks that were alike were together. It took me about 4 hours to cut out and make the top. I quilted it for about a month but on my on time. Probably about 20 hours but I quilt slowly. I only quilted it by the seams because she wanted it quickly, and I did the quilting by hand."
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size86 inches wide x 96 inches long
Time to CompleteLonger than a weekend
- Cotton or broad cloth
- Quilt backing
- Cut 210 2 1/2 inch blue plaid blocks.
- Cut 210 2 1/2-inch red plaid blocks.
- Cut 168 2 1/2-inch red blocks.
- Cut 168 2 1/2-inch navy blocks.
- Cut 84 6 1/2 inch blocks of a matching solid (I used beige).
- Quilt 2 1/2 inch blocks in any order you like (I used plaid on navy, plaid on red, plaid on stars, and red on navy).
- After making all your 9 patch blocks, arrange them in order that does not have two alike together and add solid between each.
- Put back of quilt material in frame with batting in the middle and quilt top on the top.
- Quilt with two inches of the material of backing around the edge for hem when quilted.
- Remove from frame and hem with at least 1-inch hem.