Vintage Delight Basket Quilt
Use vintage reproduction fabrics to make this pretty Vintage Delight Basket Quilt. Although it uses basket quilt blocks, you may not notice right away, since the baskets are combined in larger blocks that give the quilt a more abstract feel. The soft red and white fabrics in this quilted throw will add a touch of vintage charm to your decor.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size53 inches wide x 65 inches long
Time to CompleteA week or two
Note: This pattern was designed using fabrics from the Durham Quilt Collection from Lecien.
- 12 fat quarters of light colored florals (blocks)
- 1-1/4 yds. assorted red prints (blocks)
- 5/8 yd. beige dot (sashing)
- 1/8 yd. beige print (posts)
- 1/4 yd. red print (inner border)
- 1-3/4 yds. floral print (outer border)
- 1/2 yd. red print (binding)
For Each Block:
From light colored floral, cut:
(1) 3-7/8" square cut in half diagonally
(2) 2" x 3-1/2" rectangles
(2) 2-3/8" squares cut in half diagonally
(1) 2" square
From red print, cut:
(1) 3-7/8" square cut in half diagonally (you will have one extra triangle)
(3) 2-3/8" squares cut in half diagonally
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for a total of 48 blocks.
Stitch red and light floral triangles together. Press toward red. Assemble blocks as shown. Press seams in one direction and toward dark when possible.
Repeat to make (48) blocks.
Stitch blocks together in groups of four as shown below.
- Press seams open to reduce bulk.
Quilt Top Construction:
From sashing fabric, cut (11) strips 1-1/2" x WOF. Cross cut into (31) strips 1-1/2" x 12-1/2".
From post fabric, cut (20) 1-1/2" squares.
Connect 3 blocks together with sashing strips. Add a sashing strip to the left and right sides of the row.
Repeat to make 4 rows of 3 blocks each.
Connect 3 sashing strips together with posts. Add a post to the left and right sides of the row.
Repeat to make 5 rows of 3 sashing strips.
- Stitch rows together with sashing strips between each row of blocks. Add a sashing strip to the top and bottom rows. Press toward sashing strips.
From inner border fabric, cut (5) strips 1" x WOF. Piece strips together to make one long strip.
Measure quilt from top to bottom and cut 2 strips to that measurement. Stitch to the sides of the quilt top and press toward inner border.
Measure from side to side and cut 2 strips to that measurement. Stitch to the top and bottom of the quilt top. Press toward inner border.
For outer border cut (4) lengthwise strips 6-1/2" wide. Measure quilt top as directed above and add outer borders.
Layer, baste, and quilt.
- Bind with (6) strips of 2-1/4" wide fabric.