Beginner's Guide to Quilting: 20+ Must-Read Tutorials and Patterns
Learn all the basics when it comes to quilting with these cutting fabric, applique, and quilt binding tutorials.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Beginner quilters might find the process of making their first quilt to be very stressful. Reduce your anxieties in no time by taking a look at this Beginner's Guide to Quilting 20 Must-Read Tutorials and Patterns.
We've got quilt tutorials involving the different steps you'll be taking when making a beginner quilt pattern, such as learning how to cut fabric, tips for both hand and machine quilting, using applique, and binding a quilt.
When you're ready to start your beginner quilt pattern, be sure to have this collection of helpful quilting tutorial links nearby. This is a great mix of tips and tutorials, so it's helpful to see how to do it and what you should remember when attempting a certain technique.
If you already know some basics about quilting, then you may want to jump around and find the information that applies to you. this guide makes it easy to learn what you don't know, no matter your experience in quilting.
Table of Contents
Looking for more beginner quilting info? Then download your copy of "17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt" eBook
Tutorials for Cutting Fabric for Quilts
First, start off with rotary cutter safety with our video tutorial full of tips and tricks. Then, learn how to use your rotary cutter correctly, how to square fabric, and how to use quilting rulers as well.
This section is full of the basics for getting started with fabric. Once you learn how to cut the fabric correctly, you will be ready to move on to the next step in the quilting process.
Before you even begin putting together your quilt pattern, you'll need to be able to cut your fabric in a clean, proficient manner.
Use these tutorials to learn how to properly measure and cut your fabric with the right tools, and help you identify some common quilting patterns you'll run into when it comes to cutting.
- Rotary Cutter SafetyUsing a rotary cutter for the first time can seem intimidating, but watching this Rotary Cutter Safety video tutorial will show that you have nothing to worry about.
- Basic Rotary Cutting TutorialThis Basic Rotary Cutting Tutorial is a necessity for the beginning quilter. Cutting squares and strips with a rotary cutter is essential to creating quilts with even piecing and straight seams.
- Squaring FabricSquaring fabric is an essential part of learning how to make a quilt. Cutting fabric squares can get tricky when your fabric has troublesome creases or doesn't lie flat.
- How to Square Up a Quilt BlockWhen it comes to making your quilt top perfectly square, this How to Square Up a Quilt Block video tutorial is exactly what you need. It's important to measure and cut blocks evenly.
- How to Use a Half Square Triangle RulerLearn how to use a half square triangle ruler with this tutorial. These handy tools for cutting fabric make half square triangles a breeze. Using this special tool will help you perfect quilt pieces.
Hand Quilting Tips
If you're making a small project, you may prefer to simply use a needle and thread. Make sure you've looked through each quilting tutorial listed below to get an idea of the types of techniques you can do with your hands.
Hand quilting involves patience and precision and it's important to get it right in order for your finished piece to be exactly what you want.
Take a look at these tips and tutorials so that you can get it right and learn some unique and helpful techniques before jumping into a project.
- If you want to take a break from using a sewing machine and take on the traditional method of quilting by hand, this Basic Quilting by Hand tutorial is a great source to start with.
- How to Tie a QuiltThis tutorial on how to tie a quilt will teach you the quick, old-fashioned way to join the layers of a quilt for warmth and comfort. This is a fun technique that doesn't involve machines.
- How to Bury Thread EndsBurying knots and ends inside the quilt sandwich is one of the hand quilting basics. This quick photo tutorial will show you how to bury even the shortest thread ends beneath your fabric.
Machine Quilting Tips
When you're ready to begin quilting, follow these how to machine quilt tutorials. Not only will you learn how to properly thread your machine and quilt your fabric.
Once you've gotten more comfortable with the basics, you can also begin adding easy machine embroidery designs and free motion quilting patterns to your repertoire.
There are so many different ways to machine quilt but getting the beginner techniques down is going to help you excel when it comes to more complicated machine quilting.
- Machine Quilting for BeginnersMachine Quilting for Beginners outlines everything you need to know to baste and machine quilt for the first time. This quilting tutorial will give you tips for spray basting and more.
- Straight Line QuiltingStraight Line Quilting is one of the basics of machine quilting. This tutorial will teach you how to machine quilt a quilt in parallel lines that run across the length or width of the quilt.
- How to Do Free Motion QuiltingBreak out of your straight line quilting rut and learn how to do free motion quilting! Once you have perfected the basics of machine quilting, you can quilt all kinds of beautiful and interesting designs.
- Tips for Machine Embroidery QuiltingThis article includes insight and tips for machine embroidery quilting. Quilting embroidery designs onto your quilts is a way to liven up your quilting without being an expert.
Quilt Basting Tutorials
Make your completed quilt sandwiches for your beginner quilt patterns by choosing the type of basting that works best for you. You don't want your quilts to look wrinkly or uneven, so be sure you pay close attention.
Choose the quilt basting tutorial that works for you and follow along to learn how to do it. If you are unsure, take a look at all of them and see which one sounds best to try.
Basting is an important aspect of quilting, so it's vital to know how to do it right. You'll be a pro in no time with these tips and tricks.
- How to Baste QuiltsBasting a quilt sloppily can cause bunches and wrinkles in your quilt backing or make it hard to quilt the layers together. How to Baste Quilts is a quilting tutorial that will give you tips for basting.
- Video Tutorial: Basting Quilts with Safety PinsThis video tutorial demonstrates how to baste a quilt with extra-large safety pins. Melanie Ham shows how to put together a quilt sandwich, tape it to the floor, and pin at regular intervals.
- Spray Basting TutorialThis spray basting tutorial will tell you everything you need to know about making a quilt sandwich using basting spray. Use dumbells and a few quilting pins to align your quilt top and so on.
- Basting a Quilt with Homemade Spray StarchLearn how to use spray starch instead of hairspray or glue to baste your quilt. Making a quilt sandwich is a piece of cake when you are basting a quilt with homemade spray starch.
Applique Quilt Patterns and Tutorials
Applique quilt designs make embellishing a quilt pattern easy. Learn more about the process of adding applique to a quilt with each quilt tutorial that introduces different fabrics and methods for bringing out the best in your quilt.
No matter the type of applique you want to learn or apply to your next quilt, you can find a tutorial on FaveQuilts. Listed below are some of the easiest and most common applique tutorials.
Hand or machine applique designs, raw edge, freezer paper techniques, and more can be found here and well worth a look at. So, check them out and get appliqueing today!
- Reverse Applique Quilting TutorialCreating a different kind of texture and perspective within your quilt pattern doesn't have to be tricky. All you need is your sewing machine and the Reverse Applique Quilting Tutorial.
- Felt Applique TutorialThis Felt Applique Tutorial makes fusible applique super simple! The tutorial will walk you through how to make iron on appliques, how to apply iron-on appliques, and more.
- Raw Edge Applique TutorialLearning the fusible web technique for creating appliques will make applique projects quicker and easier than ever before. With this Raw Edge Applique Tutorial, you will learn how.
- How to Applique with Freezer PaperIn this tutorial, you will learn How to Applique with Freezer Paper. The freezer paper stabilizes the applique as you sew it to your quilt top, but it is removed after sewing.
- How to Prepare for Needleturn AppliqueIt feels good to be prepared for your upcoming applique project, but sometimes it's hard to know where to start. With this guide, you'll know exactly How to Prepare for Needleturn Applique.
Quilt Binding Tutorials
Finish your new pattern with quilt binding. Each quilting tutorial listed below offers you a way to create smooth ends for your beginner quilt patterns with plenty of room for creative touches.
These binding tutorials will walk you through it, step by step, so that you'll fully understand all aspects of finishing your quilt.
Binding is intricate and you need to be careful when doing it, which is why following any of these pages is going to put you at ease.
Also, learn about batting with our page on the Best Quilt Batting.
- Quilt Binding TutorialThis simple Quilt Binding Tutorial will give you tips for quilt binding. It gives you handy guidelines for dimensions and instructions on how to cut and sew quilt binding.
- Perfect Machine Stitched BindingTry a less complex way of creating a smooth, even perimeter by machine binding. This tutorial explains how you can complete this task smoothly.
- How to Self Bind A QuiltLearn how to self-bind a quilt using coordinating quilt backing that eliminates the need to purchase or cut binding. This quilt binding tutorial will teach you how to finish a quilt.
- 3 Pin Binding MethodThis binding method is a unique way to finish your quilt. This easy-to-follow tutorial will walk you through the technique, which provides you with a new style to try.
What do you think is the most important thing to learn in quilting?
Let us know in the comments below.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
How to Design Quilts with a Photo Editor
Lattice Square Quilt Block (Video Tutorial)
How to Make a Bargello Quilt Pattern
Easy Quilt as You Go Quilt Pattern
How to Design a Quilt on Graph Paper
5 Exciting Ways to Use FaveQuilts.com
Jelly Roll Jam Video Tutorial
Log Cabin Block Pattern
Drunkard's Path Block Pattern
How to Square Up a Quilt Block
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Spider Mug Mat
- Easy Drunkard's Path Quilt Pattern
- Art Gallery Fabrics
- Modern Flying Geese Quilt Pattern
- Woodland Deer Quilt Pattern
- Fairy Tale Flower Quilt Pattern
- Pyramid Points Twin Quilt Pattern
- Coquet Bed Quilt Pattern
- Pookie Luna Fabric Collection
- Magical Mistletoe Christmas Table Topper
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns