17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
How to Make a Square in a Square Quilt Block
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
The square in a square block pattern is one of the essential quilt blocks that all beginner quilters should learn. It's a great one for folks who are new to handling seam allowance and trimming fabric. It's also great for incorporating fussy cut pieces into your quilts.
This quilt also comes with a very helpful printable PDF for your convenience, so you can follow along while you watch the tutorial. You can have this quilt block finished in under 30 minutes. Now you have your second pattern in the Block of the Month quilting series; we know that your quilt is going to turn out gorgeous!
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
- One 6.5-inch square of fabric
- One 3.5-inch strip of fabric
Check out the first quilt pattern in this quilt along by checking out the nine patch quilt block design in this video! Nine Patch Quilt Block Pattern
Start by placing your square on top of your strip of fabric and sewing a quarter-inch seam allowance.
Press your seams and trim the excess fabric from the strip.
Sew your strip of fabric to the opposite side of your square with a quarter-inch seam allowance.
Press your seams and trim any excess fabric from your edge strips.
Repeat this process, adding your two remaining strips to the top and bottom of your rectangle.
Trim any excess fabric, press your seams, and you've finished your block!
Check out this video if you are interested in learning how to fussy cut like Carolina did in this video! How to Make a Quilted Pillow Cover
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Feb 27, 2020
Using long 3" strips and then trimming seems very wasteful .. why not just cut the 3" border strips to size before sewing
ridiculosity 67303 43
Feb 22, 2019
This pattern is actually not square in a square, but a framed square. The square in square has that inner square set diagonally, surrounded by triangles. Re-naming blocks for laziness sake can be very confusing when someone is trying to describe a quilted project and the listener has a completely different block in mind for the traditional name you are using. It is true that some blocks have had many names over the years due to being called those names because of circumstances, battles or to commemorate someone or something. A descriptive name, when changed, no longer describes the design. Sorry I can't call this uninspired work by the name of an impressive block from years gone by. I never could.
Jun 04, 2018
Great block pattern. This one might be good for the four corners of a quilt!
Feb 01, 2017
LeaTha == Thanks for another fun block Carolina!!
Feb 01, 2017
Another good block! Thanks for posting! a comment...
Jan 30, 2017
I love the block of the month series, and especially that each block has its own video! Can't wait to try this out and see what next month's block will be...
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Graduation Keepsake Quilt for Her
If you are looking for a great DIY graduation gift for a scholar in your life, free quilting patterns are a creative and useful… Continue reading: "Graduation Keepsake Quilt for Her"
- Quick and Simple Receiving Blanket Video Tutorial
- Quilt Blocks Layout Tutorial
- Easy Quilt as You Go Quilt Pattern
- How to Make a Square in a Square Quilt Block
- How to Square Up a Quilt Block
- Celtic Square Block Pattern
- The Poutama Quilt
- "17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt" eBook
- Thrift Store Plaid Shirt Quilt #2
- Trapunto Quilting 101
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Liberty Flowers Throw Quilt Pattern
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Log Cabin Echoes Bed Quilt Pattern
- Classic Blue Star Crossed Bed Quilt Pattern
- Jumbo Granny Squares Bed Quilt
- Charming Greens Bed Quilt Pattern
- Boho Chic Bed Quilt Pattern
- Happy Days Bed Quilt Pattern
- Fantasia Bed Quilt Pattern
- Mosaic Bed Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns