12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
20 Simple Square in a Square Quilt Patterns
If you're a new quilter, then you'll love this collection of square in a square quilt tutorials!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
If you're new to quilting, one of the basic quilt blocks that beginners should learn is the square in a square block pattern. An essential block in many larger quilt designs, the square in a square block is comprised of one small square inside another, and can sometimes be tricky to piece together as it requires some math. Take your beginner quilting skills to the next level with these simple square in a square quilt patterns!
FaveQuilts has included some beginner-friendly square in a square patterns for both quilt blocks and full quilt patterns, so that you have tons of options for your next project. We've also added some diamond in a square tutorials, so that you can flip the traditional square block on its head. Go back to basics with this simple quilting design.
If you're searching for other specific quilt patterns, be sure to check out all of our quilting collections here!
Table of Contents
Find even more free quilt patterns in our giant list! It's a reader favorite. 101+ Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More
What is a Square in a Square Quilt Block?
When it comes to basic quilt blocks, the square in a square block is one of the most popular blocks for new quilters to make. This block features a square contained within a larger square and is often used as the center block for larger quilts such as star quilts and storm at sea designs.
Square in a square blocks, also known as diamond in a square blocks, are traditionally made in three distinct ways. One way to make a square in a square is by fussy cutting a square of fabric and attaching strips of fabric to each side. You can also make square in a square blocks by using a connector corners technique or by paper piecing. The square in a square block is a great block for beginners as it lets you build your quilting skills, and helps you work on improving your piecing techniques.
If you're nervous about the math of creating a perfect square in a square, you're in luck! Catbird Quilt Studio has a handy cheat sheet for getting your measurements just right.
Square in a Square Quilt Block Designs
Learn how to make a simple square in a square quilt block with this list of quilt block tutorials. These quilting tutorials are beginner-friendly, and show you how to play with colors and prints in your next quilting project.
- Simple Square in a Square BlockThe classics never go out of style! This beginner quilt block tutorial shows you how to make one of the most beloved blocks in just three simple steps.
- No Math Vintage Photo Quilt BlocksInspired by vintage Polaroid pictures, these whimsical quilt blocks let you transform pretty fabric scraps into chic and modern quilt blocks that are super simple to make.
- Off Centered Square BlockBefore you start on more square quilt patterns, use the Off Centered Square Block tutorial to make some quirky quilt block patterns. It's a great alternative to the look of wonky blocks.
- Feminine Pink and Green Quilt BlockCreate an easy square in a square quilt block pattern for anyone from a little girl to a beloved grandmother when you make this gorgeous block design.
- Technicolor Twist BlockUse this contemporary quilt block pattern to add a bright color accent to another quilt or make a full sized technicolor twist quilt to bring a little summery color scheme to a bedroom or wall.
- Even if they're small, quilt block patterns don't have to be simple. Use your scrappy quilt leftovers to make an eye-catching square in a square quilt block.
Square in a Square Quilt Patterns
After you've learned to make a square in a square block, you can branch out into larger projects with these bed, baby, and lap quilt patterns. These free quilt patterns and tutorials show you how to take the basic square block to the next level.
- Bon Voyage Throw Quilt PatternJourney around the world with a throw quilt pattern that's incredibly beginner friendly. This free quilt pattern comes with a printable diagram and instructions for cutting and piecing together your quilt.
- Framed Squares Quilt PatternThis free quilt pattern can be printed off at home, and comes with step by step instructions for piecing your simple squares together. It's a great way to show off prints or fussy cut designs.
- Five and Dime Crib QuiltA great choice for using charm squares, this tutorial for how to make a crib quilt uses charming fabric inspired by vintage five and dime stores.
- Simply Stacked Squares QuiltFollow this guide to learn how to expertly arrange your jelly roll quilt patterns into the fun modern-looking block designs of this quilted sofa throw.
- Flavor of Summer Quilt TutorialThe tutorial will walk you through creating a fun quilt top using squares and strips. The finished product is so fun!
- Blue Bayou Bed QuiltUse beautiful batik fabrics to create a jaw-dropping bed quilt made of simple square blocks with this easy quilt tutorial.
- Steps to Tranquility QuiltThis tutorial makes a gorgeous, king size bed quilt which won't look out of place in any room. Its soft colors and simple design make it the perfect bed cover.
- Fast Filmstrip QuiltWith just this one pattern, you'll be able to use charm quilt fabrics and jelly roll quilt patterns to make a series of square in a square quilt block patterns that can pieced into a simple baby quilt pattern or a full sized lap quilt.
Diamond in a Square Quilt Patterns
If you're looking for a slight twist on the traditional square in a square block, then don't miss these ideas for diamond in a square quilt blocks. These diamond quilt blocks are great for fussy cutting fabric and can be made using paper piecing.
- Hamptons Getaway Quilt PatternLet this quilt pattern sweep you off to the halls of a sprawling beachfront manor. This printable quilt pattern is much easier to create than it looks, and you can use a straight-line stitch for this project.
- Diamond in a Square Quilt BlockThis project shows you a simple technique for making accurate and exact quilt block squares every time.
- Giant Economy Block PillowMade in beautiful and cheerful spring colors like peach and country blue, this quilted pillow tutorial comes with a free pattern hand-out that you can print out at home.
- Roasted Coffee Table Runner TutorialDrink in the beauty of this Roasted Coffee Table Runner Tutorial. Made using rich batik fabrics, this DIY table runner uses fabric cutters to achieve its precise look.
- Dutch Windmill Block PatternMade to resemble the famous windmills found in the Dutch countryside, this free block pattern is the perfect way to experiment with color or printed fabric.
Put your jelly rolls to good use by checking out our list of free strip quilt patterns and tutorials! 31 Simply Stunning Strip Quilt Patterns
Square or Triangle Quilts Patterns: Which do you prefer? Let us know below in the comments!
Read NextPuzzle Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Oct 23, 2017
This is such a fun list of patterns. I really like how basic they are, as I like to keep my quilts pretty traditional.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Golden Hunter's Star Quilt
Some star quilt patterns are more common than others if you want to try something totally different from the look of a lone star… Continue reading: "Golden Hunter's Star Quilt"
- Puzzle Pattern
- Modern Herringbone Quilt Pattern
- Color Explosion Flying Geese Tutorial
- 9 Free Printable Quilt Stencils
- Supernova Star Quilt Tutorial
- 8 Easy Bear Paw Quilt Patterns
- 31 Simply Stunning Strip Quilt Patterns
- 20 Stunning Disappearing Nine Patch Patterns
- Blue Ribbon Block Pattern
- Garden Gate Charm Quilt
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Liberty Flowers Throw Quilt Pattern
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Log Cabin Echoes Bed Quilt Pattern
- Classic Blue Star Crossed Bed Quilt Pattern
- Jumbo Granny Squares Bed Quilt
- Charming Greens Bed Quilt Pattern
- Boho Chic Bed Quilt Pattern
- Happy Days Bed Quilt Pattern
- Fantasia Bed Quilt Pattern
- Mosaic Bed Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns