10 Eye-Catching Herringbone Quilt Patterns
Find your favorite herringbone quilt pattern in this stunning list!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
One of the most recent trends in quilting is the rise in popularity of the herringbone pattern. Similar to its cousin the chevron, herringbone is a striking pattern that focuses on straight lines and diagonals to creates a design that resembles the bones of a herring, a fish found in Northern oceans. Herringbone patterns and prints have been popular for centuries and can be found in architecture, textiles, and now quilts!
If you've had your eye on some trendy herringbone quilt patterns, then rest easy, because FaveQuilts is laying out our favorite eye-catching herringbone designs, just for readers like you.
These quick and easy herringbone patterns are perfect for using pre-cuts, especially layer cakes, and are great projects for beginner quilters. If you're nervous about putting together a full-size quilt, don't worry because we've made sure to include smaller quilting projects, like table runners and baby quilts, as well. Several of these herringbone patterns are also excellent quilt as you go patterns, meaning you don't have to spend a ton of time drafting and assembling complicated patterns. Choose your favorite of these eye-catching herringbone quilt patterns and let your creativity soar!
Table of Contents
Easy Herringbone Quilt Patterns
From bright and colorful to subtle and elegant, there's a herringbone quilt pattern out there for everyone! FaveQuilts has included full quilt patterns that are perfect for bed covers and stylish throws, as well as smaller projects like quilt block patterns and table runners. Just choose your favorite from our list of herringbone patterns and start on your brand new quilt project. Here's wishing you happy quilting!
If you love a good herringbone quilt pattern, you'll love these chevron patterns, too! Be sure to check out our list of the best chevron quilt patterns ever. 20+ Easy Chevron Quilt Patterns
Small Herringbone Quilt Projects
- Herringbone String Block
String quilting provides a simple way to make scrappy quilt patterns and the strip quilt piecing design will give any quilt you use this quilt block pattern in an intricate, but clean appearance.
- Herringbone Table Runner
When it comes to dressing up a drab table, table runners are the go-to project for the quilting crowd. This Herringbone Table Runner is a free pattern that makes decorating for dinner a snap.
- Wonky Herringbone Quilt Block
This improv quilt tutorial uses careful piecing and a dash of spontaneity to create a herringbone quilt block with a lot of movement!
- Tumble of Triangles Baby Quilt
Babies are often drawn to shapes, which makes the Tumble of Triangles Baby Quilt one to consider if you have a little one.
- Herring Blocks
Herringbone quilt blocks show off elegant design skills, which is why this tutorial for Herring Blocks is one you need to try!
Herringbone Quilt Patterns and Tutorials
- Scrappy Herringbone Quilt Tutorial
ou can create a brilliantly colored quilt quickly using this sew simple quilting tutorial that uses a traditional herringbone pattern. This easy quilting project goes together in long strips opposed to .time consuming blocks, giving it a country chic look.
- Bold Braid Quilt Tutorial
If you've been saving up some bright fat quarters for a rainy day, then we've got the perfect herringbone quilt pattern for you! This Bold Braid Quilt Tutorial uses 10 fat quarters to create its simple design.
- Graphic Herringbone Quilt Tutorial
This easy quilting tutorial uses half-square triangles to create its striking pattern and is a fantastic way to use your layer cakes.
- Fletcher Free Quilt Pattern
Don't be fooled by that polished, professional look - the Fletcher Free Quilt Pattern is a lot easier to make than it looks!
- Modern Herringbone Quilt Pattern
Make a quick and simple quilt that's perfect for your home with this stunning and modern pattern! The best part? This free pattern can be downloaded right to your computer and is perfect for precuts.
Did You Know?
1. Herringbone patterns date back to ancient times and can be found in the textiles and jewelry of the ancient Egyptian elite.
2. Modern herringbone patterns date back to the Roman Empire and were used in road paving systems.
3. In textiles, herringbone is usually defined as a variant of twill fabric. When the fabric is being made, the twilling will periodically become reversed, resulting in the herringbone pattern.
4. It is said that the Shroud of Turin has a herringbone pattern.
5. Herringbone is also popular in Ireland and historically was used by the Celts in horsehair cloth.
6. Modern herringbone print is often found in menswear, typically on high-end suits.
Which of these herringbone quilts is your favorite? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Make an adorable baby blanket in no time at all with this simple baby quilt pattern. With butterfly applique and a pink ruffle trim,… Continue reading: "Butterflies a Flutter Baby Quilt Pattern"
- Harvest Log Cabin Quilt
- Weekend Warrior Quilt Pattern
- Blue Ribbon Block Pattern
- 15 Layer Cake Quilt Patterns
- Day Lily Disappearing Pinwheel Pattern
- Pretty Persimmon Layer Cake Pattern
- Color Explosion Flying Geese Tutorial
- 20 Stunning Disappearing Nine Patch Patterns
- Supernova Star Quilt Tutorial
- Blue Bargello Quilt Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Hexi Log Cabin Quilt Block Pattern
- Stacked Squares Quilt Block Pattern
- Rising Star Quilt Block
- Stitchin' Heaven
- Simple Sew
- Hoffman Media / Classic Sewing Magazine
- Shamrock Shenanigan ~ A Scrappy Mini Quilt Pattern
- Single Snowflake
- Lumberjack Quilt — A Cozy Flannel Quilt Pattern
- Happy Heart Quilt — A Scrappy Mini Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns