- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Quick Quilts: 15 Quilt As You Go Tutorials and Quilt As You Go Blocks
Short on time? Then you'll love our collection of free quilt as you go patterns!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
The quilt as you go method is a favorite among longtime quilters. Essentially, this technique includes any method of quilting which involves sandwiching pieces of the backing, batting, and top individually rather than making the whole quilt top and then sandwiching it with the batting and backing.
Common quilt as you go methods include rag quilting and strip quilting, but can be widely applied to any and all quilts. This collection includes quilt as you go blocks, quilt as you go tutorials, how-tos for learning to master the quilt as you go method, and even a few quilt as you go table runner and coaster patterns.
From rag quilt patterns to log cabin quilts, there's a little bit of something for everyone in this collection of Quick Quilts: Quilt As You Go Tutorials and Quilt As You Go Blocks!
Plus! Want free quilt patterns delivered directly to your inbox? Then be sure to sign up for our free eNewsletter, Piecing It Together!
Table of Contents
Like the quilt-as-you-go method? Want more fun, quick quilt patterns? Check out our free eBook, Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns! Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
What is Quilt As You Go?
If you're new to quilting, you may be wondering, 'What does quilt as you go mean?' Quilt As You Go is a popular quilting technique that combines creating the top, batting, and backing of a quilt into one singular process; this is unlike traditional quilting, in which a quilt top is pieced together (typically using blocks or strips) separately, and is then finished with batting and backing. The main benefit of using the quilt as you go method is that quilters can join pieces by machine as they piece their quilt together.
The Quilt As You Go method is ideal for applique projects, although it can be used for pieced quilts as well, especially strip quilt projects. Quilting as you go is also a great method for quilters with limited work space.
How to Quilt As You Go
Learn how to quilt as you go with these video tutorials and how-to guides! This is a quilting skill that will change how you quilt forever.
- Quilt As You Go with Wide Sashing TutorialThe Quilt As You Go with Wide Sashing Tutorial is great for beginner and experienced quilters alike. This video tutorial will demonstrate how to quilt as you go or QAYG.
- Quilt as You Go: Strip Quilting Video TutorialIf you need a quick quilt project, this is the quilt-as-you-go method to use. With the Quilt As You Go: Strip Quilting Video Tutorial, you can make any size by adjusting the size and number of your strips.
- Quilt As You Go: Joining the BlocksQuilt As You Go: Joining the Blocks outlines a quilt as you go method that allows you to use a sewing machine and eliminates the need for any extra design elements, such as additional sashing.
Quilt As You Go Blocks
These quilt block patterns are perfect for a little bit of quick piecing. Make table runners, throw blankets, and even full bed quilts in no time flat!
- Scottish Thistle QAYG BlockWith this Scottish Thistle QAYG Block, you can travel to beautiful Scotland without leaving your quilt studio by creating a block designed around the thistle, the national flower of Scotland.
- Quilt As You Go Log Cabin BlockThis approach to making quilt block patterns can save you time, and the pattern will still have the same classic charm.
- Bloomin' Quilt As You Go BlockThere's a unique artistry to the design that will get any flower quilt pattern you include this on noticed right away, and it's just as gorgeous as part of a small quilt project or decoration.
- Quilt As You Go Santa's Belly BlockYou'll be piecing together St. Nick's classic colors to make the individual quilt block of your dreams.
- Scrappy Quilt As You Go CoastersWow with your designer prowess by taking your leftover fabric scraps and piecing together brand new Scrappy Quilt As You Go Coasters.
Quilt As You Go Tutorials
These quilts are perfect for quilters in a time crunch! Make a quick quilt with one of these simply quilt patterns, perfet for practicing the quilt as you go method.
- Scrappy Herringbone Quilt TutorialIf your scrap pile has been building up lately, put those pretty fabric leftovers to good use with this Scrappy Herringbone Quilt Tutorial.
- In this Quilt As You Go Log Cabin Quilt tutorial, you'll quilt your log cabin strips right onto your batting, then sew the blocks together and add backing and binding.
- Striped Cuddle QuiltThe Striped Cuddle Quilt uses plush fabrics and a quilt as you go method for a quick snuggly throw quilt.
- The Striped Chevrons Baby Quilt Tutorial is a super-fast, simple pattern that will let you whip up an easy baby blanket in no time at all.
- A Magical Lands Strip QuiltLearn how to create an easy, brightly-color strip quilt pattern with this beginner quilt pattern.
Quick Quilt Patterns to Try
- Nightfall QAYG Log Cabin BlockThis free quilt block tutorial shows you how to create a mini log cabin block using the quilt as you go method, meaning you can piece it together in no time at all.
- Baby Perfect Rag QuiltIf you are not so much of a perfectionist but want to learn how to make a soft, comfortable and warm baby quilt, this may be a great option for you.
- Grandmother's Flower Garden Table Topper PatternFans of traditional grandmother's flower garden quilts will love this clever hexagon quilt table topper pattern.
- Quick Triangles Baby QuiltIt only takes an evening to make the Quick Triangles Baby Quilt. Coordinate your fat quarter quilt patterns and start making half square triangle quilt patterns right away.
- Race to the Finish Jelly Roll QuiltThe Race to the Finish Jelly Roll Quilt is one of the fastest quilt tops you can make. This jelly roll quilt pattern only takes about an hour to put together.
See more quick quilts in our 16 Small and Simple Quilt Patterns collection!
What do you love about quilt as you go patterns? Let us know below in the comments!
Read NextDorothy's Flower Garden Quilt
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Aug 04, 2017
Quilt as you go projects are some of my favorites. Thanks for the collection!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Hexagon Mini Quilt Pattern
A hexagons may seem like a complex shape compared to triangle quilt patterns, but this Hexagon Mini Quilt Pattern is gorgeous and… Continue reading: "Hexagon Mini Quilt Pattern"
- Dorothy's Flower Garden Quilt
- The Take Along Quilt
- 12 Inch Quilt Block Patterns
- Small Fry Quilt Pattern
- Quick Denim Quilt (improv Quilt With Instructions)
- Quilted Guitar Straps
- Make A Cushion Cover From An Orphan Block (with Lazy Zipper Hacks)
- Free Stamped Faux Quilted Heart Pin Cushion Pattern
- 17 Fabulous and Free PDF Quilt Patterns
- Miami Connections Block Quilt Tutorial
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Big Star Quilt Block
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips Free Quilt Block Pattern
- Sawtooth Star Quilt Block
- Easy Fat Quarter Quilt
- Scrap Bursts Quilt Block
- Quilted Patchwork Flower Pillow Pattern
- Easy Quilt Block For 2.5" Strips & Squares
- Afternoon Tea Four Patch Table Runner
- Hexagon Log Cabin Quilt Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns