Skip the Borders: Easy Patterns for Modern Quilts by Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Skip the Borders: Easy Patterns for Modern Quilts
By Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts
Gifted by Martingale
Reviewed by Claire Hawkes, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
Have you ever noticed that the borders on quilts are similar to the frames that enclose paintings in a museum? While some masterpieces look better framed, there are other times when a frame actually limits the full potential and beauty of a work of art. The same concept rings true for quilting -- certain quilt designs are just better without distracting borders! That's why the nontraditional patterns in Skip the Borders: Easy Patterns for Modern Quilters by Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts come together to form such an ingenious collection of boldly borderless quilts. From easy block patterns to flying geese designs and star quilt patterns, you'll be surprised at all of this book's innovative takes on dynamic quilts that aren't afraid to break from tradition.
The introduction lays it out flat: this book is meant to provide inspiring patterns to quilters of all skill levels. Readers are encouraged to "draw outside the lines" and explore the possibilities of quilts that possess sturdy patterns instead of neat borders. Before quilters start their journey through contemporary quilt patterns, Herman breaks down the basics of what a borderless quilt must posses in order to be successful. Most importantly, quilts without borders must have a strong structure in order to unify the fabric around the perimeter of the quilt. Skip the Borders also includes individual sections that stress large quilt blocks, careful color placement, and smart binding choice as the foundational decisions before starting a quilt without borders.
After the basic quilt-making instructions, the book features 15 patterns broken down into 3 categories: One-Block Quilts, Two-Block Quilts, and Outside-The-Block Quilts. Although all of the one-block quilts are made up of just one repetitive quilt block design, they are anything but boring. On the contrary, these simple quilt block patterns can be used to make large quilted sofa throws or bed quilts that showcase starflower quilt patterns and log cabin blocks. If you want to create an even more intricate quilt design, turn to the two-block quilt section for quilts that flaunt citrus colors and floral print fabrics that give off a modern, feminine feel. Lastly, Skip the Borders takes an even greater step away from conventional quilt patterns and provides instructions for row (also known as outside-the block) quilt designs with both horizontal and vertical rectangular shapes.
What makes this book so special is not the lack of quilt border; rather it is about what a quilter will gain when they are inspired to see the design possibilities beyond the rigid lines.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Win a BERNINA Sewing Machine, Sponsored by Stitchin Heaven!
- Chance to win Fabric Traditions Pre-Quilted Fabrics!
- Enter for your chance to win Modern Machine Quilting and Thread!
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo and No-Touch Blade Change Tool
- Little House on the Prairie Fabric
- Sweetheart Houses Pattern from Shabby Fabrics
- Lily Ashbury High Street Jelly Roll
- Chance to Win a My Mind's Eye Bliss Sparkle 5" Fabric Stacker!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Spool Sawtooth Star Block For Beginners
- Crumb Quilt Block
- Berry Patch Quilt
- Easy Sailboat Quilt
- X Marks The Scrap Quilt Pattern
- Easy Cross Sawtooth Star Block
- Quick Denim Quilt (improv Quilt With Instructions)
- Easy Pinwheel Sawtooth Star
- Make A Cushion Cover From An Orphan Block (with Lazy Zipper Hacks)
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns