Quilts with Style
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Quilts with Style
Gifted by: Leisure Arts
Reviewed by Laura Fernandes for FaveQuilts.com
Quilts with Style is an excellent book by Gudrun Erla who is a fabric designer and an experienced quilt designer. Although this book from Leisure Arts contains six quilting patterns, there are two completed variations of the quilts shown, the traditional and the modern look, further increasing the number of possibilities for quilt designs are the arrangements of basic blocks in some of the designs.
All the designs have straight edges that make it extremely simple to piece together and yet produce a sophisticated completed quilt. Every pattern in the book has a modern and traditional color variation. Some of the patterns provide variations to convert to a table runner. Every design provides measurements for the individual block sizes and for the completed quilt size making it easier to plan and choose the appropriate project size. In addition, detailed instructions are provided for adapting every design to different bed sizes. These are very helpful instructions to avoid running out of fabric while completing the project.
The contrast in the modern and traditional look of the same quilt is dramatic and draws the attention to proper fabric color selection. In addition, the pictures capture the quilting design in the completed quilts and provide ample ideas for finishing the projects.
The Riptide (p. 26) is one of the coolest designs in the book. Ideas are provided for four additional patterns by using the basic block. There are instructions for using the cut away corners from making this quilt to complete a bonus table runner.
Just like the Riptide design the Homebound design (p. 10) offers multiple variations of piecing the quilt from the basic block. The Simply Rectangles design (p. 4) could be used to showcase one of a kind fabrics to make a quilt that could be used as a wall hanging. A young teenager would love to own the modern version of the Simply Rectangles quilt while the Snapshots design (p. 42) would make a great wedding present quilt.
An entire section in the book is devoted to general instructions on completing the quilt. The tips provided in obtaining perfect points when piecing would be helpful to any quilter. Various ways to border the quilt, including techniques to make the binding from fabric are included in this section.
This book will be a great addition to any beginner wanting to take up quilting projects. Experienced quilters will find a lot of inspiration for a new project and will be amazed to see the numerous possibilities with a simple basic block and the differences in modern and traditional variation of the same quilt.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Brushstrokes by Pepper Cory Fat Quarter Bundle
- Riolis Embroidery Kits
- 10-Minute Blocks by Suzanne McNeill
- 110 Quilted Potholders
- Uchida Graffiti Fabric Markers Review
- Baby Bright Quilts
- "The Original" Quilt Basting Spray
- Orange Blossom Quilt Block Pattern
- Fox Hollow Collection from Monaluna
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Blueberry Backroads
- Nautical Whale Baby Quilt
- American Flag Quilt Tutorial
- 35" Hand Tied Snuggly Quilt Pattern
- Pillow Cushion Hidden Zipper Tutorial
- Color Spectrum DIY Pet Bed
- Family Keepsake Quilt Tutorial
- Thick and Thin Baby Quilt Pattern
- How to Make 4 HST Quilt Blocks at a Time
- Watermelon Whimsy Table Runner Pattern