- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Feathers That Fly
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Feathers that Fly
Gifted By: Martingale/That Patchwork Place
Reviewed by Mollyhall Seeley, Editor for FaveQuilts
Nothing is more intimidating or more rewarding than adding a touch of free-motion to a finished quilt. Free-motion designs are the perfect way to lend elegance and detail to projects, and none more so than the feather motif. Feathers are classic, gorgeous, and (best of all) surprisingly easy. The key, of course, is taking each step as it comes and understanding the relationship between lines and curves.
If that sounds scary, there's good news! Lee Cleland breaks down the process of adding beautiful free-motion feathers to any quilt in Feathers that Fly: How to Design, Mark, and Machine Quilt Feather Motifs. This book is perfect for the nerdy quilter, whose interest lies not only in creating beautiful quilts but also in understanding every step of the process. Cleland has created a kind of workbook which includes practice designs and detailed explanations alongside design patterns and graphs.
For example, Cleland outlines several common pitfalls that quilters experience when adding feathers to their quilts: feathers that don't look like feathers (Cleland advises you to double-check your initial design: is it a half-heart shape?), stiff feathers (Cleland suggests that you "make sure the drawn line continues the curve of the "coin top"), backward-curving feathers (an easy fix; as Cleland puts it, "keep the heart shape simple for fluid feathers"), and flat feathers (check to be sure your curve isn't too large).
Sew free-motion feathers like a pro with this amazing handbook. Don't let the fear of making a mistake keep you from making stunning quilts; with Cleland's clear, easy-to-follow advice, your quilts will take wing in no time.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block
The Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block is easily one of the most striking Irish chain quilt patterns you'll see today. This… Continue reading: "Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Win a Peppered Cottons Jelly Roll!
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Jubilee Fabric Whitewash Kit Review
- Chance to win Fabric Traditions Pre-Quilted Fabrics!
- Chance to win the Altiora Fabric Collection!
- Downton Abbey Fabric Bundles
- Ocean View Quilt Pattern from Studio e
- Chance to win Dragonskin Resize-It Templates!
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Book Quilt Block Mug Rug Pattern
- Garden Party Bunting Mug Rug Pattern
- Coffee Cabin Self-Binding Mug Rug Pattern
- Big Scraps Quilt Block
- How To Make Flying Geese (4 At A Time Method)
- Easy Big Star Quilt Block
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips Free Quilt Block Pattern
- Sawtooth Star Quilt Block
- Easy Fat Quarter Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns