12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Aviary Fat Quarter Bundle from Windham Fabrics
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Aviary Fat Quarter Bundle
Designed by Nancy Gere
Gifted by Windham Fabrics
Reviewed by Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
Aviary is a sophisticated collection of 13 fabrics designed by Nancy Gere for Windham Fabrics. The fabrics, which feature birds, feathers, flowers, and a few more geometric patterns, come in understated combinations of black, white, and grey.
Aviary has a delicate feel reminiscent of pretty Victorian wallpapers, and the beautiful but unassuming prints in this collection would look elegant in a feminine quilt. In fact, the only prints in the line that would fit in more masculine quilts are the four plainer prints. These fabrics include in a cross-hatched basketweave, which comes in black with white lines and white with black lines, and an airy floating feathers pattern, which comes in both white and grey. Also among the more graphic patterns are two striped prints in black and white, featuring alternating bands of a ribbon-like stripe and a straight line interspersed with tiny flowers.
The floral fabrics make up the bulk of this collection, including two colors each of small, medium, and large flower prints. The floral fabrics come in a range of grayscale shades and the largest print shows birds in flight scattered among the bunches of flowers. The star of Aviary, however, is the large white and black print depicting a variety of birds perched on flowering tree branches. You can't help but think of spring when gazing at this beautiful pattern. The scenes in this fabric are almost too gorgeous to use in anything but fussy-cut panels.
Together, these 13 darling prints would make an exquisite black and white quilt, but the subdued tones also make them an excellent choice to help other hues stand out in a more colorful quilt. Try pairing these grayscale prints with jewel-tones like teal, plum, and magenta for a high-contrast look. A sunny yellow would also beautifully complement the bold black patterns of this line.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Half Square Triangle Quilt Block Patternvideocam
Ready for another fun and simple block quilt pattern? This Half Square Triangle Block Pattern is the next quilt block in the quilt… Continue reading: "Half Square Triangle Quilt Block Patternvideocam"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Trip Around the World: A Country Quilt Block Travelogue
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Chance to win the Sugar Berry Fabric Collection!
- Chance to Win a Jubilee Cozy Ragged Homespun Quilt Kit!
- 10-Minute Blocks by Suzanne McNeill
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Downton Abbey Fabric Bundles
- Chance to Win a My Mind's Eye Bliss Sparkle 5" Fabric Stacker!
- Chance to win a FreeSpirit Fabric Collection!
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Big Star Quilt Block
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips Free Quilt Block Pattern
- Sawtooth Star Quilt Block
- Easy Fat Quarter Quilt
- Scrap Bursts Quilt Block
- Quilted Patchwork Flower Pillow Pattern
- Easy Quilt Block For 2.5" Strips & Squares
- Afternoon Tea Four Patch Table Runner
- Hexagon Log Cabin Quilt Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns