We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
The Sew the Row Quilt Pattern is a simply elegant, easy quilt pattern designed especially for those who love to sew squares and rectangles. Stitched in rows at every stage, this beginner quilting pattern is perfect for someone who is new to quilting. Created out of just two simple block patterns that are combined in a checkerboard pattern and framed by three easy borders, this quilt idea is easier than it looks!
Project TypeLearn a Technique
Quilt Size80 inches wide x 80 inches long
Time to CompleteA week or two
Fabric A - Block 1 and Border.
32.2m (2?yds) Dark blue floral fabric
Fabric B - Block 2.
80cm (?yd) Light blue floral fabric
Fabric C - Block 1.
70cm (?yd) Red with white spot fabric
Fabric D - Block 1 corners and Block 2 strips.
80cm (?yd) Blue with red spot fabric
- Fabric E - Block 2 corners, Border 2 and Binding. 1.2m (1yds) Dark red fabric
Fabric F - Border 1.
1.2m (1yds) Dark red fabric
224cm (88in) square
224cm (88in) square
Rotary cutter, ruler and cutting board
Cotton thread for piecing
General sewing requirements
Find more stunning, free quilting patterns in our collection of 100 Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilts for Baby, and More.
Note: Generally, the easiest way to make a block or a quilt is to sew it in rows (or strips). Sometimes the rows are vertical, horizontal, diagonal. Sometimes the rows are only in the borders. Quilt making becomes much simpler when we can see where the rows are.
Cut the strips for the blocks.
Stitch the blocks together in rows.
Join these strips together to make the blocks. Press.
Lay the blocks out in a alternate positions. Join five blocks together to make each row. Press seams.
Match points and stitch the rows together. Press.
Add the borders.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Super Scrappy Single Irish Chain Quilt
- Triple Irish with a Twist
- Cabin Fever Blues Quilt Pattern
- Disappearing 4-Patch Quilt with Layer Cakes
- Super Scrappy Triple Irish Chain
- Irish Chain Quilt Twist
- Sleeping on Squares Bed Quilt
- A Lotta Nines Irish Chain Quilt
- Checkered Garden Quilt Tutorial
- 30 Free Bed Quilt Patterns to Warm Up With
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Spool Sawtooth Star Block For Beginners
- Crumb Quilt Block
- Berry Patch Quilt
- Easy Sailboat Quilt
- X Marks The Scrap Quilt Pattern
- Easy Cross Sawtooth Star Block
- Quick Denim Quilt (improv Quilt With Instructions)
- Easy Pinwheel Sawtooth Star
- Make A Cushion Cover From An Orphan Block (with Lazy Zipper Hacks)
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns