13 Wedding Quilt Patterns for Keepsake Quilting
Make the perfect DIY wedding gift for the happy couple in your life by learning how to make a wedding quilt!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
One of the happiest events in many people's lives are their weddings, and whether it's to celebrate your own or congraulate someone else, nothing will commemorate the event quite like the patterns in 13 Wedding Quilt Patterns for Keepsake Quilting. We have much more than the traditional double wedding ring quilt pattern; we've got flower quilt patterns, scrap quilt patterns, and a few creative quilt block patterns that will help you make a keepsake quilt as beautiful as the relationship it's representing.
Table of Contents
Looking for more special occasion quilts? Then be sure to download our free eBook filled with keepsake quilt ideas! How to Make a T-Shirt Quilt: 11 T-Shirt Quilts
What is a Wedding Quilt?
Quilters are familiar with the tradition of creating quilts to commemorate special occasions, so it should be no surprise that one of the most popular DIY wedding gift ideas are handmade wedding quilts. There are actual several popular myths that surround wedding quilts, such as young women throughout history taking several quilts to their new husbands as part of their dowry. Another popular myth surrounding the origin of the wedding quilt is that people who slept under special quilts would dream about their future husband or bride. Despite the romantic origins surrounding wedding quilts, they actually served a practical purpose for newly married couples, and were often given as housewarming gifts.
A specific type of wedding quilt is the famous double wedding ring design. Made to resemble two interlocked wedding rings, double wedding ring quilts require more skill to create and are often made using paper piecing. According to womenfolk.com in their article "The Romantic Double Wedding Ring Quilt", "It is thought this style of ring came to America through Germanic people who settled in Pennsylvania in the late 17th century. This pattern of interlocking rings was seen on coverlets, ceramics and other decorative objects in early America." This wedding quilt pattern rose to popularity during the 1930s and 1940s, and is still the design of choice for celebrating engagements, weddings, and anniversaries.
Traditional Double Wedding Ring Quilt Patterns
A very touching wedding tradition that many quilters enjoy taking part in is making wedding quilt patterns using the classic double wedding ring quilt design.
- Double Wedding Ring Quilt Block Pattern"Its hard to believe I designed the original Double Ring Wedding Quilt almost 20 years ago for my brother and sister-in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. Now it is The Double Ring Wedding Quilt Block that is versatile enough to be used for different projects from pillows to any size quilt or wallhanging by creating multiple blocks."
- Modern Double Wedding Ring Wall QuiltThis contemporary quilt wall art celebrates the traditional double wedding ring quilt pattern in American folk art. Although double wedding ring quilts are usually pieced, this Modern Double Wedding Ring Wall Quilt is simply appliqued and quilted.
- Wedding Ring Motif Wall HangingThe double wedding ring quilt pattern is one of the most timeless quilt patterns, but you don't have to make a full-size quilt to display this lovely motif in your home. Make the Wedding Ring Motif Wall Hanging as a vintage-inspired quilt wall display.
Tutorials for Keepsake Quilts
Wedding quilt patterns are great for personalizing. Make a memory quilt or keepsake quilt for the special couple to cherish for years to come.
- Your Signature Quilt BlockIt's time to get noticed. With Your Signature Quilt Block, you'll have a personalized quilt block to get your name out there. Not only is this quilt block idea cheaper than outsourcing for quilt block labels, but you'll also have fun decorating your quilt block with permanent pens.
- How to Make a Photo Block QuiltLearn how to make a photo block quilt to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, wedding, or other memorable occasion. This tutorial explains how to prepare fabric so that you can print photos on it to create photo quilt blocks. Piece them together with sashing and borders for a special gift!
- How to Make an Autograph Quilt BlockMost people are visual learners, so it will be easy to learn How to Make an Autograph Quilt Block with this video quilt tutorial. It is part of a series of simple quilt block video lessons that use the quilt block itself in a bigger project.
- Adorable Applique Family Tree QuiltCelebrate your family with the Adorable Applique Family Tree Quilt. If you're searching for memorable applique quilt patterns, then this quilt is definitely a keeper. This free project is so simple.
Wedding Quilt Patterns That Celebrate Love
Not all wedding quilt patterns use a traditional style. See how you can make your keepsake quilt original.
- Heartbeat Jelly Roll PatternDesign a bright and girly quilt that's perfect for celebrating Valentine's Day with this free jelly roll pattern. Made in rich shades of pink contrasted with snowy white, this Heartbeat Jelly Roll Pattern uses a modern heart quilt design and can be displayed as a wall quilt or in your living room.
- Double the Love Valentine's QuiltFree quilt patterns like the Double the Love Valentine's Quilt will put you in a Valentinian spirit. Holiday quilt patterns for minor holidays can be more difficult to find, but this romantic gem will have you dreaming of love all day long.
- Love Knot Anniversary Table RunnerCelebrate your sweetie with the Love Knot Anniversary Table Runner or make this anniversary quilt for parents or friends who are remembering their own wedding date sometime soon. This table runner can also double as a Valentine's Day quilt pattern.
- Just Married QuiltWedding quilt patterns can be just as beautiful and elegant as the occasions themselves, and this Just Married Quilt proves it! With delicate prints that have an old-fashioned feel and updated colors like coral and aqua, this quilt hits the mark.
- L'Amore E'Bello Panel QuiltThe L'Amore E'Bello Panel Quilt focuses on a fabric panel with a stylized tree sprouting hearts and hosting a pair of lovebirds. The inscription on this center panel quilt reads "Love and Beauty" in Italian.
- Love Squared Quilt PatternDesign a sweet and sassy modern quilt that's perfect for Valentine's Day with this Love Squared Quilt Pattern. Made as an easy-to-download PDF, this free quilt pattern uses simple squares to create its pattern in snowy white, vibrant fuschia, and lipstick pink.
Floral Quilt Patterns
Design a bouquet or the wedding's beautiful color scheme with flower quilt patterns that will quickly become part of the home decor.
- Cathedral Windows in SpringtimeQuilters love the cathedral window quilt pattern, and so they should. This beautiful, understated design allows for a lot of creativity and fun. The Cathedral Windows in Springtime quilt takes that element of fun and combines it with the fresh start of spring.
- Tudor Bouquet ThrowThe Tudor Bouquet Throw is for quilters who love flower quilt patterns! Alternating fussy cut blocks show bouquets of flowers, while a floral border frames the whole quilt. You can choose from two color schemes to make this quilt scrappy or more subdued.
- Dashing Roses ThrowThe Dashing Roses Throw is one of our most romantic flower quilt patterns. With soft colors and ornate prints reminiscent of Victorian wallpaper, this quilt makes a subtle but elegant accent to your decor. Drape it over a neutral sofa for effortless style.
It's not easy finding quality quilt patterns to use while redecorating your home during the year, but there's an easy way to refresh your home that you can work on throughout the year. In 25 Flower Quilt Patterns and Quilting Designs, you'll find a number of stunning flower quilt patterns, free motion quilting patterns, and applique quilt patterns that can be used to brighten up any location. 25 Flower Quilt Patterns and Quilting Designs
What's your favorite wedding memory? Let us know below in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Friendship Charm Square Quilt Tutorial
- Senior Year Graduation Quilt
- How to Make a Photo Block Quilt
- 13 Wedding Quilt Patterns for Keepsake Quilting
- Love Knot Anniversary Table Runner
- Mommy's Little Sweetie Baby Clothes Quilt
- Crazy In Love Wedding Quilt
- Just Married Quilt
- Scrappy Quilted Postcards
- Loved Mini Quilt Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 15 Cute and Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Beginners
- Sugar Crystal Quilt Pattern
- 9 Dutch Quilt Patterns
- Pinwheel Bow DIY Ornaments
- Home State Pillow Tutorial
- Therm O Web Iron-On-Fusible Interfacing
- The 18 Best Heart Quilt Patterns for Valentine's Day
- Glitter Vinyl Placemat Tutorial
- Star Wars Inspired Galaxy Quilt
- Spiral Log Cabin Block Tutorial
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns