What Size is a Lap Quilt?
Discover how to make the perfectly proportioned lap quilt. Includes lap quilt size charts.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Quilts that keep you cozy are the ultimate homemade gift. Offering just a little bit of comfort is a simple way to really make an impact on someone's life (or your own)! Lap quilt patterns are some of our most popular quilting patterns because they're quick to make.
Figuring out how long or wide to make your lap quilt, however, can be a challenge. If you're planning to make one, you might have the question, What Size is a Lap Quilt? That's why we've created this lap quilt sizing resource complete with lap quilt sizing charts.
Lap quilt patterns are generally smaller than your typical throw quilt pattern. A lap quilt is a blanket you use to cover your legs or lap. They are often used in small reading nooks, in the living room, or created for those who are wheelchair-bound and need something cozy to keep them warm.
A lap quilt pattern is usually a rectangle or square shape. Below, you will learn what makes a quilt a lap quilt, can view the lap blanket sizes chart, the wheelchair sizes chart, and peruse the free lap quilt patterns to find your next project.
Check out our throw quilt resource, too!
This article includes sizing charts and tips for making the perfect throw quilt: What Size is a Throw Quilt?
What Is a Lap Quilt?
A lap quilt is a quilt that is used to cover a person's lap or legs. They are generally smaller than a throw quilt and come in all shapes and sizes. While a throw quilt can get away with being a bit too bulky, you should pay special attention to who will be using the lap quilt and where they will be using it.
You want the quilt to be comfy, but not burdensome. This is especially important when you are making a lap quilt for someone in a wheelchair. Too big of a quilt will make it hard to move around. Often times, these quilts are more rectangular in size.
Lap Quilt Sizes Chart
Looking for a guide to making the perfect lap quilt? Check out our free size chart below for some size guidelines.
|Lap Quilt Size||Width||Length|
|Small||36 inches||45 inches|
|Small||36 inches||48 inches|
|Medium||30 inches||60 inches|
|Large||45 inches||60 inches|
|Large / Long||54 inches||72 inches|
Wheelchair Quilt Sizes Chart
Looking to make a wheel chair quilt? Check out our chart below for the perfect size.
|Small||33 inches||40 inches|
|Small Square||36 inches||36 inches|
|Medium||36 inches||40 inches|
|Large||40 inches||40 inches|
Free Lap Quilt Patterns
Want to make a lap quilt but don't know where to start? Check out some of our favorite free lap quilt patterns below for some ideas.
This charm pack friendly free quilting pattern is ideal for a lap quilt pattern. The square shape makes it perfect for your reading nook or couch.
Ideal for showing some love, this heart quilt pattern makes a great gift.
One of the easiest lap quilt patterns we have, this adorable pattern uses fat quarter pieces to make the fun plus signs pattern.
With a color scheme inspired by the show Mad Men, this vintage spool quilt pattern is simple enough for quilting beginners and is a quick weekend project that you can whip up in no time.
Charming and girly, this daisy pattern makes a great gift for a little girl. Floral, multi-colored blooms make this design pop but you could easily mute it with more pastel fabric.
This vintage pattern is a charming way to explore multiple fabric prints in one quilt. We love this pattern because it's a modern take on a vintage look.
Simple and whimsical, this lap quilt pattern would be perfect for a kid's room. The playful circles against a white background help the pattern really pop despite it's simple design.
This smaller rectangle quilt pattern would make a fantastic wheel chair quilt. The shape and size makes it easy to stay cozy in a wheel chair without being too bulky.
Read NextTwisted Ribbons Free Quilt Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Twisted Ribbons Free Quilt Pattern
- Fine Line Log Cabin Quilt
- Flavor of Summer Quilt Tutorial
- Scrapalicious Improv Log Cabin Quilt
- Pocket Full of Posies Quilt Pattern
- Scandinavian Heartland HST Quilt Pattern
- Retro Spools Lap Quilt Pattern
- San Tan Valley Sunset Quilt Pattern
- Polka Dottie Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Sweet and Simple Squares Quilt Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Simple Ornate Celestial Quilt Pattern
- Double Orange Peel Quilt Block (with Denim Background)
- Favorite Fast Four Patch Quilt Pattern For Beginners
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Witch Hat Halloween Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- The Perfect Log Cabin Quilt Block Tutorial
- How To Sew Quilted Potholder Tutorial Pattern
- Solar System Mug Rug
- Old Glory Quilt Pattern
- Beginner Baby Cheater Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns