- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
20 Free Motion Quilting Patterns
Get creative with this fun ideas and patterns for free motion quilting!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Free motion quilting is a super creative technique because you can move your quilt in any direction to create different stitch patterns. This collection includes general patterns that you can stitch onto any quilt all year-round, as well as specific patterns that are perfect for Halloween quilts or Christmas quilts and table runners.
The variety of ways that you can add free motion patterns to your quilts is endless! Is your quilt looking a little bare around the edges? Add a festive border. Does your sampler quilt have an empty block? Create a block of free motion leaves or snowflakes to complete your design. Need inspiration for a whole cloth quilt? Stitch an all-over motif onto your quilt. Creating free motion designs will soon become your favorite holiday pastime.
Table of Contents
Free Motion Quilting Patterns
Bursting Flower Free Motion Design
Highlight one of winter's prettiest flowers with this free motion quilt pattern.
Mistletoe and Berries Quilting Design
Add a seasonal border to your Christmas quilt with this beautiful Mistletoe and Berries free motion pattern.
Shine Bright Free Motion Design
Your free motion quilt will be the star attraction at Christmas time with this star design pattern.
Wooly Mitten Free Motion Quilting
Nothing says wintertime like cute pairs of mittens sewn onto a warm and cozy free motion quilt.
Basket Weave Free Motion Quilting
Learn how to incorporate two popular free motion patterns into your next quilting design.
Flame Thrower Free Motion Design
This free motion pattern looks like flames and will remind you of a cozy fire on a cold winter night.
Learn how to stitch a spider dangling from a web onto your Halloween-themed free motion quilt.
Pretty Package Free Motion Quilt
During the season of giving, it's only approriate to add borders of neat Christmas packages to your free motion quilts.
Spider webs are the perfect quilt block patterns to learn for Halloween.
Use the falling snow outside your window as the inspiration for your next free motion quilting pattern.
Put that pedal to the metal and stitch these beautiful winter petals. This Poinsettia Free Motion Quilt pattern would be gorgeous on a quilt, pillow, or table runner. This intricate design would also make a festive embellishment to holiday cloth napkins.
Christmas Tree Free Motion Quilting
Have fun free motion quilting these creative Christmas tree patterns!
This free quilting tutorial is an excellent choice for those new to quilting and is inspired by the Finger Lakes region in New York.
The different shades of blue in this quilt make it a perfect present for an upcoming baby shower and is a charming choice for a nautical-themed nursery.
Spooky Spider Free Motion Tutorial
Free motion quilting is a fantastic way to add a little spice to your quilting projects, making this tutorial a great idea for spicing up a Halloween quilt.
Dizzy Daisy Free Motion Tutorial
A fabulous design for advanced quilters, this free motion tutorial shows you how to create gorgeous daisy designs that look perfect on their own or on top of your newest quilt.
This Beluga Baby Quilt Tutorial shows you how to design a baby quilt that's ideal for those new to quilting and comes with a printable embroidery pattern to let you add an adorable under the sea touch to your quilt.
Daisy Chain Free Motion Tutorial
A charming decoration to any quilt top or border, this DIY machine quilting project brings the beauty of summer flowers into your quilt studio.
Basic Bow Free Motion Tutorial
Are you looking to learn a new quilting stitch? Try sewing this Basic Bow Free Motion Tutorial on your next quilt!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Graduation Keepsake Quilt for Her
If you are looking for a great DIY graduation gift for a scholar in your life, free quilting patterns are a creative and useful… Continue reading: "Graduation Keepsake Quilt for Her"
- Scrumptious Scrappy Four Square Pincushion
- 12 Inch Quilt Block Patterns
- Yellow Brick Road Quilting Patterns
- 45+ Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- 35 Charming Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
- 45 Star Quilt Patterns
- National Quilting Month 2023
- 900+ Free Quilting Patterns
- 24 Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns
- 12 Dresden Plate Quilts
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Liberty Flowers Throw Quilt Pattern
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Log Cabin Echoes Bed Quilt Pattern
- Classic Blue Star Crossed Bed Quilt Pattern
- Jumbo Granny Squares Bed Quilt
- Charming Greens Bed Quilt Pattern
- Boho Chic Bed Quilt Pattern
- Happy Days Bed Quilt Pattern
- Fantasia Bed Quilt Pattern
- Mosaic Bed Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns