20 Free Motion Quilting Patterns
Get creative with this fun ideas and patterns for free motion quilting!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Free motion quilting is a super creative technique because you can move your quilt in any direction to create different stitch patterns. This collection includes general patterns that you can stitch onto any quilt all year-round, as well as specific patterns that are perfect for Halloween quilts or Christmas quilts and table runners.
The variety of ways that you can add free motion patterns to your quilts is endless! Is your quilt looking a little bare around the edges? Add a festive border. Does your sampler quilt have an empty block? Create a block of free motion leaves or snowflakes to complete your design. Need inspiration for a whole cloth quilt? Stitch an all-over motif onto your quilt. Creating free motion designs will soon become your favorite holiday pastime.
Table of Contents
Free Motion Quilting Patterns
- Bursting Flower Free Motion Design
Highlight one of winter's prettiest flowers with this free motion quilt pattern.
- Mistletoe and Berries Quilting Design
Add a seasonal border to your Christmas quilt with this beautiful Mistletoe and Berries free motion pattern.
- Shine Bright Free Motion Design
Your free motion quilt will be the star attraction at Christmas time with this star design pattern.
- Wooly Mitten Free Motion Quilting
Nothing says wintertime like cute pairs of mittens sewn onto a warm and cozy free motion quilt.
- Basket Weave Free Motion Quilting
Learn how to incorporate two popular free motion patterns into your next quilting design.
- Flame Thrower Free Motion Design
This free motion pattern looks like flames and will remind you of a cozy fire on a cold winter night.
- Spider Web Quilting Design
Learn how to stitch a spider dangling from a web onto your Halloween-themed free motion quilt.
- Pretty Package Free Motion Quilt
During the season of giving, it's only approriate to add borders of neat Christmas packages to your free motion quilts.
- Super Spider Web Quilt Block
Spider webs are the perfect quilt block patterns to learn for Halloween.
- Free Motion Frost Design
Use the falling snow outside your window as the inspiration for your next free motion quilting pattern.
- Poinsettia Free Motion Quilt
Put that pedal to the metal and stitch these beautiful winter petals. This Poinsettia Free Motion Quilt pattern would be gorgeous on a quilt, pillow, or table runner. This intricate design would also make a festive embellishment to holiday cloth napkins.
- Christmas Tree Free Motion Quilting
Have fun free motion quilting these creative Christmas tree patterns!
- Finger Lakes Quilt Tutorial
This free quilting tutorial is an excellent choice for those new to quilting and is inspired by the Finger Lakes region in New York.
- Deep Blue Sea Quilt
The different shades of blue in this quilt make it a perfect present for an upcoming baby shower and is a charming choice for a nautical-themed nursery.
- Spooky Spider Free Motion Tutorial
Free motion quilting is a fantastic way to add a little spice to your quilting projects, making this tutorial a great idea for spicing up a Halloween quilt.
- Dizzy Daisy Free Motion Tutorial
A fabulous design for advanced quilters, this free motion tutorial shows you how to create gorgeous daisy designs that look perfect on their own or on top of your newest quilt.
- Beluga Baby Quilt Tutorial
This Beluga Baby Quilt Tutorial shows you how to design a baby quilt that's ideal for those new to quilting and comes with a printable embroidery pattern to let you add an adorable under the sea touch to your quilt.
- Daisy Chain Free Motion Tutorial
A charming decoration to any quilt top or border, this DIY machine quilting project brings the beauty of summer flowers into your quilt studio.
- Basic Bow Free Motion Tutorial
Are you looking to learn a new quilting stitch? Try sewing this Basic Bow Free Motion Tutorial on your next quilt!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Dog Gone Cute Block Tutorial
- Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns We Love
- A Message from The Editor of FaveQuilts
- Quilted Tea Set
- Scrumptious Scrappy Four Square Pincushion
- 38 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
- Little Bird Quilt Pattern
- 26 Charming Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
- 26 Free 12-Inch Quilt Block Patterns
- 35 Free Star Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Basket Quilt Block
- Hourglass Quilt Block
- Fly Home Quilt Pattern
- Classic Nine Patch Quilt Block Pattern
- Free Patchwork Tree Skirt Tutorial
- Christmas Quilt Block
- Easy Quilted Hot Pad
- Quilted Christmas Ornament
- Frank Edmonds
- Handmade With Love Printable Gift Tags
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns