- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Quilts From Grandmother's Garden: A Fresh Look at English Paper Piecing
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Quilts from Grandmother's Garden: A Fresh Look at English Paper Piecing
By Jaynette Huff
Gifted by Martingale
Reviewed by Claire Hawkes, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
For many centuries, the timeless beauty of nature has served as inspiration for renowned works of art. Although spring's flowers are quick to vanish, nature-inspired artistic creations will look beautiful for years. That's why Jaynette Huff's Quilts from Grandmother's Garden: A Fresh Look at English Paper Piecing is such a winning collection of one of quilting's most traditional and popular floral quilt designs. Whether you're interested in learning English paper piecing methods, or in search of quilt patterns featuring fields of flowers, this charming book is a wonderful resource for both traditional technique and gorgeous patterns.
The two-part organization of this book starts off by explaining beginner quilter's techniques, such as how to English paper piece, the basic elements of floral design, and how to quickly applique hexagon quilt patterns. I was always under the assumption that English paper piecing was one of the most time-consuming quilt techniques. After reading this book's introduction, I was surprised to learn that there is a much faster way to make these lovely flower quilt patterns. While Quilts from Grandmother's Garden celebrates the traditional technique of making floral designs out of hexagon shapes, this book puts special focus on sewing hexagons into applique units to quickly create exquisite flower quilt pattern. By learning this simple sewing trick, any quilter will be able to quickly piece together all 10 of quilt patterns showcasing lovely landscapes featuring flowers, butterflies, baskets, and lakes.
Once a reader gets to the pattern section of the book, they will feel as if author Jaynette Huff has warmly welcomed them to take a walk through the springtime meadows of a real flower garden. From the easy, stylish wall quilt design of Sunflower Bouquet (p. 63), to the heartwarming wall quilt pattern called Welcome Home (p. 67), each flower quilt incorporates a decorative design that is as unique as it is splendid to look upon. Readers will also find that each floral quilt design comes with a helpful materials list, cutting guide, and fabric key, which clearly shows the correct color of each hexagon shape.
Quilts from Grandmother's Garden offers so much invaluable quilting knowledge to help a quilter master their English paper piecing technique, as well as broaden their understand of all the wonderful designs that a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt can create. After reading through this book, you'll find yourself a more learned quilter with a greater appreciation for the artistic inspiration that arises from the simple beauty of gardens.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Afternoon Six and a Half Dozen Baby Quilt Pattern
While the little one is down for a nap, mix and match some of your favorite fat quarter quilt patterns and whip up an Afternoon Six… Continue reading: "Afternoon Six and a Half Dozen Baby Quilt Pattern"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Chance to win Dragonskin Resize-It Templates!
- Chance to win the "A" Bag Pattern!
- 3 Times the Charm, Book Two
- 200 Blocks from Quiltmaker Magazine: Original Patterns from Today's Top Designers
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Slice Fabrique Cordless Fabric Cutter
- Bloomsbury Gardens Collection
- Chance to win the Beads on a String Quilt Pattern!
- Urban Country Quilts
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Big Scraps Quilt Block
- How To Make Flying Geese (4 At A Time Method)
- Easy Big Star Quilt Block
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips Free Quilt Block Pattern
- Sawtooth Star Quilt Block
- Easy Fat Quarter Quilt
- Scrap Bursts Quilt Block
- Quilted Patchwork Flower Pillow Pattern
- Easy Quilt Block For 2.5" Strips & Squares
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns