Fons & Porter Scrap Explosion Quilts
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
First of all, I love the title of this book! “Scrap explosion” perfectly describes the contents of a particular drawer I have. You know that drawer…it’s overloaded with clumps and clusters of fabric scraps and it just keeps getting fuller and fuller, to where now it will barely close.
It seems Marianne Fons and Liz Porter know about this drawer, too. Scrap Explosion is a wonderful collection of their favorite scrappy quilt patterns from 25 different designers – some traditional, some modern, some easy, some challenging. With flowers, stars, triangles, zig-zags, hexagons, strips and more, there is definitely something for everyone. The book features a beautiful variety of fabrics and colorways, too – from citrusy florals, jewel-tone batiks and pastels to earthtones and black and white geometrics – and everything in between.
You also get eight of Fons and Porters’ signature Sew Easy lessons for learning more about cutting diamonds, mitering borders, appliqué techniques and string piecing, to name a few. The patterns feature re-sizing charts, quilting diagrams and “Tried and True” colorway options, as well as “Web Extras” where you can go online to download the quilt top assembly instructions.
This book packs in a ton of value between the covers. I think my favorite quilt pattern is “Pixie Sticks” by Sally Weber (page 106) that uses large crazy-pieced blocks with randomly cut strips. No fussy piecing, no matching seams and no worries about inaccurate block sizes. That is my kind of quilt right there – easy, fun, improvisational and it uses up a TON of different stray scraps. I love how all the bright colors are set against the black, too.
So grab this book, flip that drawer upside-down the bed and start sorting…you’re about to make a nice big dent in your scrap stash!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Enter for your chance to win the Dancing Diamonds Gem Bag Pattern!
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Kaleidoscope Kreator 3 Software
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Quilts From Grandmother's Garden: A Fresh Look at English Paper Piecing
- Soho Solids Fabric from Timeless Treasures
- At Home with Country Quilts: 13 Patchwork Patterns
- Clover Wedge Iron
- Chance to win the Big Batting Bundle Giveaway!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- To The Nines! ~ A Pretty Block Of The Week Quilt
- Winnie the Pooh and Friends Quilt Pattern
- Give and Take Free Quilt Pattern
- Pinwheel Party Mini Quilt
- Rag Rose Pincushion
- Nine Patch Quilt Block
- Meandering Wisconsin ~ A Picnic Quilt Pattern
- Card Trick Quilt Block
- How To Make A Rag Pillow
- Ohio Star Quilt Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns