Fons & Porter Scrap Explosion Quilts
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
First of all, I love the title of this book! “Scrap explosion” perfectly describes the contents of a particular drawer I have. You know that drawer…it’s overloaded with clumps and clusters of fabric scraps and it just keeps getting fuller and fuller, to where now it will barely close.
It seems Marianne Fons and Liz Porter know about this drawer, too. Scrap Explosion is a wonderful collection of their favorite scrappy quilt patterns from 25 different designers – some traditional, some modern, some easy, some challenging. With flowers, stars, triangles, zig-zags, hexagons, strips and more, there is definitely something for everyone. The book features a beautiful variety of fabrics and colorways, too – from citrusy florals, jewel-tone batiks and pastels to earthtones and black and white geometrics – and everything in between.
You also get eight of Fons and Porters’ signature Sew Easy lessons for learning more about cutting diamonds, mitering borders, appliqué techniques and string piecing, to name a few. The patterns feature re-sizing charts, quilting diagrams and “Tried and True” colorway options, as well as “Web Extras” where you can go online to download the quilt top assembly instructions.
This book packs in a ton of value between the covers. I think my favorite quilt pattern is “Pixie Sticks” by Sally Weber (page 106) that uses large crazy-pieced blocks with randomly cut strips. No fussy piecing, no matching seams and no worries about inaccurate block sizes. That is my kind of quilt right there – easy, fun, improvisational and it uses up a TON of different stray scraps. I love how all the bright colors are set against the black, too.
So grab this book, flip that drawer upside-down the bed and start sorting…you’re about to make a nice big dent in your scrap stash!
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Forget about blah and boring and go for an explosion of color for your next quilt project with this Color Explosion Flying Geese… Continue reading: "Color Explosion Flying Geese Tutorial"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- 200 Blocks from Quiltmaker Magazine: Original Patterns from Today's Top Designers
- Omnigrid and Fons & Porter Rotary Cutting Supplies from Prym Consumer
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Chance to win Fabric Traditions Pre-Quilted Fabrics!
- Enter for your chance to win the Dancing Diamonds Gem Bag Pattern!
- Mochi Mochi Fiber Art Quilt Patterns
- Arctic Ice Quilter's Slidelock
- Scrap-Basket Beauties: Quilting with Scraps, Strips, and Jelly Rolls
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Tropical Trails Quilt
- Floret Quilted Table Topper Pattern
- Free Tree Quilt Block Pattern
- Bright Bits Modern Mini Quilt
- Quilted Pumpkin Placemat Pattern
- Winterberry Pinwheel Quilt
- Mr. Chillingsworth Halloween Quilt
- Gorgeous Gift Box Table Runner Pattern
- Cozy Cabins Wall Quilt Pattern
- Quick Halloween Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns