Fabulous Fat Quarter Aprons Review
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Fabulous Fat Quarter Aprons Review
Reviewed by Dana Byerwalter, Editor, FaveQuilts.com
Sewists know that fat quarters can accumulate fast. Whether a quilt needed two less fat quarters than you had on hand, or you bought a gorgeous print without a project already in mind, it's easy for that stash to grow and grow!
Put some of that leftover fabric to use with Fabulous Fat Quarter Aprons, a marvelous book featuring twelve retro apron patterns. Author Mary Beth Temple shows sewists of all skill levels how to create a lovely project with those fat quarters. Make an apron for the holidays, as a gift, or for yourself. A variety of patterns means every sewist will find a project to love in this collection.
The book opens with a helpful "Getting Started" section to prepare you for the tips, tricks, and techniques used to make these aprons. You'll learn about finishing ribbon ends, creating gathers, seaming, creating hems, and so much more! Page 7 gives instructions for making potholders and oven mitts. These patterns accompany the apron patterns: for every apron you make, there is a precious smaller project to match!
Each apron includes a difficulty level, materials, and instructions. There is a short blurb at the top of each page describing techniques used for the apron and more. One comment I liked is found at the top of the Simply Stripes apron (p. 8): "Most aprons are adorable, but coverage is the name of the game if you want them to be functional as well!" This apron in particular is probably the easiest to make, and it only requires two fat quarters. Each apron in the book ranges from two to six fat quarters. Many feature coordinating fat quarter patterns and colors, but not all.
Mary Beth Temple also includes a tips section for each pattern. For the Patchwork apron (page 38), she writes "Because the patches at the hem are double-sided, the iron really is your friend here! Careful pressing and pinning will make it much easier to attach the patches." The Patchwork apron is my personal favorite in this book. I love the little pockets and even the matching potholder!
On page 18, the Christmas Pleats apron is so adorable for the holidays. I love the style of the bust as well as the precious ribbon trim. Gold ribbon bows sewn near the shoulders are a darling finishing touch. From ruffles to ric-rac to scallops and more, the apron patterns in Fabulous Fat Quarter Aprons will absolutely charm you. Start using the fabric in your stash! These patterns are too pretty to pass up.
Do you prefer a full apron or half?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Patchwork Among Friends: From Patterns to Potlucks
- Creative Quilts from Your Crayon Box by Terrie Linn Kygar
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Flip Your Way to Fabulous Quilts
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Chance to win Riolis Needlework Kits!
- Jelly Babies: Adorable Quilts from 2-1/2-inch Strips
- Kaleidoscope Kreator 3 Software
- Chance to Win Pro-Stitcher Designer Software!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Basket Quilt Block
- Hourglass Quilt Block
- Fly Home Quilt Pattern
- Classic Nine Patch Quilt Block Pattern
- Free Patchwork Tree Skirt Tutorial
- Christmas Quilt Block
- Easy Quilted Hot Pad
- Quilted Christmas Ornament
- Frank Edmonds
- Handmade With Love Printable Gift Tags
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns