Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts
Provided by Crosley-Griffith Publishing Company
Reviewed by Mollyhall Seeley, Editor for FaveQuilts
Judy Martin opens her fantastic pattern book Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts with the words, "I do not have time to make quilts that do not speak to me ... I don't have time to make an ordinary quilt." That much is certainly apparent throughout Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts, which provides clear-cut instruction for how to sew a log cabin quilt that is as memorable as its maker.
Martin's book is predicated upon seven principles of sewing a log cabin quilt. First, she depends heavily on the use of scrap fabrics, which add nuance and personality to each quilt. All of the quilts in Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts are made from scraps. Secondly, every quilt is finished with a clear border to add a finishing flourish. Thirdly, Martin uses almost exclusively narrow logs (just 1.5 inches wide) so that each quilt is engaging and unique.
Martin's fourth principle is that big equals better, and therefore each quilt is meant for a queen or king size bed. Fifth, she points out the importance of playfulness in design. Each log cabin block is fresh and fun, so that every pattern can be re-used time and time again with unique results. Sixth, she places just as much emphasis on secondary patterns as primary, so that all aspects of the quilt are of equal caliber. And finally, Martin pays as much attention to color as she does to design; in her own words, an accent color "adds definition and complexity."
Martin's book includes 20 pages at the front of pure reference material, answering any questions that you might have during the process of quilting. You won't find a more thorough, artistry-oriented pattern book!
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Clothworks Basics: Laurel Burch Thread and Impressions Moire Fabric
- Chance to win the Crystal Farm Fabric Collection!
- Leilani Arts Silk Sari Ribbon
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- 10-Minute Blocks by Suzanne McNeill
- Easy Quilts for Beginners and Beyond: 14 Quilt Patterns from Quiltmaker Magazine
- Learn to Make a Quilt From Start to Finish Online Class
- Simple Beginner Quilts from Leisure Arts
- Win a BERNINA Sewing Machine, Sponsored by Stitchin Heaven!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Broken Dishes Baby Quilt Pattern
- 18+ Free Decorative Christmas Quilt Patterns
- Morning Frost Quilt Pattern
- Shiny + Bright Ornament #6
- Fun Christmas Tree Quilt Blocks For Your Crumbs & Scraps
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Christmas Ornament Mini Quilt Pattern
- 13+ Free Winter Quilt Patterns
- 14+ Free Christmas Quilt Block Patterns
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns