A Bit of Applique: Easy Projects with Modern Flair
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Appliqué is a fun and versatile craft to have in your sewing arsenal. The collection of 17 beginner-friendly projects in A Bit of Appliqué by Amy Struckmeyer provides a thoughtful window into the variety of possibilities that can be achieved with this simple method of embellishment. Learn how to do hand and machine appliqué and either use the templates in the book or find out how to create your own. Amy illustrates how inspiration can be found anywhere—from a child’s drawing turned into a fanciful skirt to a favorite fruit pie cheering up a plain tea towel.
Through making wearable, decorative or useful (think Zakka) objects you’ll learn all the essential appliqué techniques—wool, raw edge, reverse, fusible, freezer paper and bias tape. She even teaches you how to combine appliqué with quilting. Illustrated sewing patterns are included to make projects such as a pencil case, a messenger bag, a tote and a girls’ garden skirt. Did I mention the adorable stuffed penguin?
Other template designs can be used to transform pre-made clothing items into something more unique and personal. Have a plain t-shirt you don’t wear because it’s boring? Add some quick reverse appliqué to the knit fabric to transform it into a one-of-a-kind garment. All the necessary tools to make the easy projects are outlined at the beginning of the book. In addition, helpful tips are interspersed throughout the pages to help you with a pesky zipper, cleanly secure the stitches and help advance your sewing skills to the next level.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Enter for your chance to win the Dancing Diamonds Gem Bag Pattern!
Chance to Win a Havel's Fabric Cutter!
Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
Chance to Win a Darn Good Yarn Sari Silk Fat Quarter!
Chance to win the Southport Fabric Collection!
Skip the Borders: Easy Patterns for Modern Quilts by Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts
Chance to Win a June Tailor Quilting Essentials Kit
10-Minute Blocks by Suzanne McNeill
Honey Bee Mine Fabric Bundle
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Havel's Fabric Cutter
- Darn Good Yarn Sari Silk Fat Quarter
- Darn Good Yarn
- Star Light Star Bright
- Star Value Quilt
- O Christmas Trees
- Super Scrappy Triple Irish Chain
- Florabelle Bloom
- Dad's BBQ Towel
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns