DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
Chef's Table Topper Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
No cook or quilter can deny how adorable this Chef's Table Topper Pattern is. Combining elements of basket quilts and Dresden plate patterns in this embroidered quilt pattern, the Chef's Table Topper appeals to traditional quilters who love classic patchwork. The lovable chef embroidery blocks make this quilt an ideal decoration for the kitchen, so make it as a gift for a friend who loves to spend time cooking.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size39 inches wide x 39 inches long
Time to CompleteA month or more
Primary TechniquePieced & Appliqued
Note: This pattern was designed using fabrics from the Everything But the Kitchen Sink collection from RJR Fabrics.
- 1 Precut (Twice the Charm) from Everything But the Kitchen Sink OR assorted fat quarters/fat eights from 30s line
- 1/3 yard RJR Cotton Supreme Whip Cream
- 12” from Chef Panels
- 1/2 yard for border and binding
- 1-1/4 yard for backing
- 1 button for center of Dresden Plate (3/4” or 1” size)
- 4-1/2 yards jumbo yellow rick rack (2” wide or more)
Trim 4 Chef Panel blocks to 10-1/2”
31 Dresden Flower Petals from wedge template
(4) 4-1/2” squares from Whip Cream
(4) 6” x 10-1/2” rectangles from Whip Cream
(1) 10 -1/2” square from Whip Cream
(4) 5 x 10-1/2” rectangles from prints for baskets
(4) 4-1/2” squares from matching print to each basket
(2) 4-1/2” x 30-1/2” strips of border fabric for side borders
- (2) 4-1/2” x 38-1/2” strips of border fabric for top and bottom
Note: All seams are 1/4” Press seams to one side.
Baskets and Dresden Block:
The basket petals and center are Dresden petals. Finger press petal in half lengthwise with right sides together. Stitch along top straight edge of Dresden petal. Turn right side out and press petal into a point. Repeat for all Dresden petals. Make 31.
For the 4 baskets, stitch petals together matching side seams and joining the 5 petals into a fan shape. Press seams to one side or the other. For the center Dresden block, stitch together 11 Dresden petals and join together into a circle.
Pin the Dresden fan to the 6” x 10-1/2” rectangle cut from Whip Cream fabric, placing the wrong side of the Dresden fan on the right side of the neutral fabric and matching up the bottom edge of the fan to the lower edge of the neutral rectangle as below. Top stitch, attaching the fan points to the neutral rectangle and stitching right next to the edge of the 5 points. For the center Dresden Plate block, center the 11 Petals sewn together onto the 10-1/2” Whip Cream square. Pin and then top stitch the points in place. Cover center with button and stitch in place. Press and set aside.
Now construct the base of the basket. Using the 4, cut 4-1/2” squares (1 each from Whip Cream and 1 each from the basket base fabric), place right sides together, and draw a line crosswise from point to point with a pencil. Stitch 1/4” on either side of the drawn line as shown in the photo below.
Cut along the drawn line.
Press open. This makes half-square triangles.
Lay the half-square triangles on each lower edge of the basket positioned as in the photo below. Draw a pencil line to use as a stitch guide that intersects stitching line and will make an X in the half-square triangle block. This is called the “quick corner” method.
Trim 1/4” next to the stitching line you just completed. Press each side open.
Now attach the Dresden petal fan top to the basket bottom to complete the basket block. Press. Complete now for other 3 baskets.
Join the blocks together using the photo of the quilt and layout diagram as guides. There are 3 rows of 3 blocks. You can position the chefs and baskets to suit your kitchen. This can also be made into a wall hanging. The baskets are in the 4 corners of the quilt and the Dresden plate is the very center block. The chef panels go in between. Join the blocks together and then join the rows together. Stitch the side borders to the quilt first and then stitch the top and bottom borders. Make a finish press.
- This would be a manageable size to machine quilt yourself. YouTube has many tutorials on machine quilting, or you can take the topper to a machine quilter or hand quilt. After the quilting is complete, then stitch the jumbo rick rack around the edges on all 4 sides. Binding is stitched over top of the seam line of the rick rack.
Cut 5 for each basket and cut 11 for Dresden plate.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
If you are looking for a great DIY graduation gift for a scholar in your life, free quilting patterns are a creative and useful… Continue reading: "Graduation Keepsake Quilt for Her"
- Ladies Who Lunch Placemat Pattern
- Lovely Cross Table Topper Pattern
- Strip-Pieced Zig Zag Mug Rug
- 30+ Free Table Runner Quilt Patterns and Table Topper Designs
- Delightful Dresden Flower Placemats
- Berry Bouquet Table Topper
- Homemade Lemonade Table Topper Tutorial
- Four Square Fabric Coaster
- Strawberry Shortcake Table Topper
- Modern Dresden Quilt Table Runner
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Nine Patch Quilt Block
- Meandering Wisconsin ~ A Picnic Quilt Pattern
- Card Trick Quilt Block
- How To Make A Rag Pillow
- Ohio Star Quilt Block
- Two X Three Quilt Block
- Springtime Quilt Pattern
- Star Cross Quilt Block
- X-quisite Quilt Block
- Wild Flowers Mini Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns