23 Marvelous Mug Rug Patterns
Looking for a quick quilting project? Then you'll love these free mug rug patterns!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
If you've never heard of a mug rug quilting project before, you're in for a treat! A mug rug is a tiny quilt just big enough for a mug of something warm and soul-satisfying and a sweet treat.
They make adorable decorations for desks and side tables, and they take only an hour or two to make.
Whether you're searching for a seasonal mug rug pattern, a quick holiday quilting project, or an applique mug rug, or a little scrapbuster quilting pattern, we have you covered!
Try sewing the Sunrise Semi Dresden Mug Rug for a project that will show off your applique skills. If you would like a summer quilting project, maybe try making the adorable Orange You Glad Mug Rug!
Browse our collection of 23 Marvelous Mug Rug Patterns to get tutorials and inspiration to make your own mug rugs!
Table of Contents
Patchwork Quilted Mug Rug Patterns
Reach into your scrap bin and pull out a handful of leftover fabrics for these colorful mug rug patterns. Patchwork mug rugs are a wonderful way to practice new piecing techniques or try out color combinations.
They add instant style to a desk or side table! Just look at this Scrappy Paper Pieced Mug Rug! There are more like it (and different from it) below as well.
You can also experiment with turning each rail fence block in a different direction to create larger geometric patterns.
This Amish Bar Mug Rug gives you the bold patchwork of Amish quilts without all the work.
The Lovable Mug Rug functions as a quilted placemat, a quilted coaster, and even a quilted table topper for your desk!
This adorable tea-inspired mug rug uses patches that have a vintage touch and will convince anyone to sit down for a cuppa.
Practice your quilting, piecework, and applique skills on the Butterfly Applique Mug Rug.
The Hexie Mug Rug Pattern features a honeycomb of paper pieced hexagons in your favorite fabrics.
Use your colorful fabric scraps for a mug rug that will make your first coffee of the morning even more wonderful.
Looking for more quilt projects? Then be sure to check out our free eBook: DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
Applique Mug Rug Designs
Use fusible web to make an applique mug rug pattern, and you'll have an applique quilt project finished in no time. The applique mug rug patterns you will find in this section are all so beautiful, like this Sunrise Semi Dresden Mug Rug.
These mug rugs have fun shapes and designs that will put a smile on your face every time you see them.
Made in muted colors, this mug rug pattern has the feeling of primitive quilt patterns, but you can also make it in bolder colors for more impact.
This tutorial includes applique patterns to download for the "tea" lettering and the teacup on the back of the mug rug.
All you really need to do is print out the templates and choose your favorite fabrics. This mug rug pattern will help you keep your kitchen full of springtime.
Learning how to applique adorable designs onto your smaller quilting projects like mug rugs can transform your quilting pieces into unique, cute gifts.
Our readers love this collection of table runner and table topper designs: 30+ Free Table Runner Quilt Patterns and Quilted Table Toppers
Seasonal Free Quilted Mug Rug Patterns
Make a mug rug for every time of year with these mug rug patterns. You can change your mug rug for winter, spring, or summer with these seasonal quilting tutorials.
Once you learn how to make rug mugs, you will see how often they come in handy. For your own kitchen or to make as gifts. Who would love a pattern like this Orange You Glad Mug Rug?
Like other quilted mug rug patterns, this is a playful design that will make you feel young at heart.
How cute is this snowman mug rug pattern? Perfect for sitting down with some hot cocoa in the winter.
This particular mug rug features a pieced umbrella, embroidered rain drops, and floral fabric.
Using the template and your own personal touches, you'll have an applique project that's both practical and decorative.
Holiday and Christmas Mug Rug Patterns
Stitch a mug rug pattern for your favorite holiday. With spooky Halloween quilting patterns like this Halloween Triangle Mug Rug, you're sure to be in the holiday spirit.
There are also mug rugs for a patriotic Fourth of July, quilting projects for Christmas. You can decorate your desk for any of the holidays you enjoy celebrating.
Make a candy corn mug rug with simple Halloween applique patterns in the shape of candy corn.
Mug rugs are a great way to protect your table from hot surfaces, and larger mug rugs can also be used as table toppers.
Applique a ghost, a leafless tree, and an eerie owl to the front of this pumpkin for a festive table decoration.
Christmas mug rugs are just about the prettiest way to decorate and enjoy the winter holiday season. This one involves a festive tree.
What's your favorite type of small quilting project? Bags, mug rugs, coasters?
Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
You can never go wrong with a classic! Make a gorgeous traditional Irish chain quilt in luxurious shades of navy and snowy white with… Continue reading: "China Blue Irish Chain Quilt Pattern"
- Irish Pinwheels Table Topper Tutorial
- Simple and Elegant Quilted Table Runner
- Herringbone Table Runner
- On the Plus Side Mug Rug Pattern
- 30+ Free Table Runner & Table Topper Quilt Patterns
- Four Square Fabric Coaster
- Homemade Lemonade Table Topper Tutorial
- Darling Country Table Runner Pattern
- Summer in the Country Placemats Tutorial
- Country Apple Table Runner
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 18+ Free Decorative Christmas Quilt Patterns
- Morning Frost Quilt Pattern
- Shiny + Bright Ornament #6
- Fun Christmas Tree Quilt Blocks For Your Crumbs & Scraps
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Christmas Ornament Mini Quilt Pattern
- 13+ Free Winter Quilt Patterns
- 14+ Free Christmas Quilt Block Patterns
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- Sew Fast Autumn Table Runner Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns