DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Sugar Crystal Table Runner Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Sprinkle some sweetness into your home decor with this beautiful quilted table runner from RJR Fabrics. This Sugar Crystal Table Runner Pattern is a simple way to add an elegant touch to your dining room and uses a classic 8-point star for its design.
An easy quilt project that you can finish in a weekend, this table runner pattern comes as a free PDF download, and is complete with piecing and cutting instructions, so that you don't have to stress out about creating this pretty table runner. Add a little color to your home this year by creating this sweet and simple table runner pattern.
Click Here to Download the PDF Pattern!
This table runner finishes at 21" x 64".
Fabrics Used in This Pattern
This table runner pattern features RJR's Sugar Berry fabric collection. You can find the Sugar Berry fabric collection here.
(Sugar Berry collection)
- 3/8 yard each:
Fabric C: 3371-001
Fabric F: 3376_003
- 1/2 yard each:
Fabric A: 3164_001
Fabric B: 3370_001
- 5/8 yard Fabric D: 3371_003
- 3/4 yard Fabric E: 3374_002
- 2 yards backing fabric
- 27” x 70” piece of batting
- Basic sewing supplies
Do you love this fabric collection? Be sure to download the free Sugar Crystal Quilt Pattern from RJR Fabrics! Sugar Crystal Quilt Pattern
Note: All strips are cut across the width of the fabric (perpendicular to the selvages) unless noted otherwise. Seams are 1/4".
From Fabric A, cut:
- Nine 1-1/2" x WOF strips. Subcut two strips into eight 1-1/2" x 9-1/2" strips. Piece remaining strips short ends together and cut:
- Two 1-1/2" x 57-1/2" strips
- Two 1-1/2" x 16-3/4" strips
- Three 1-1/2" x 22-1/4" strips
- Two 1-1/2" x 12-1/4"strips
From Fabric B, cut: Five 3" x WOF strips. Piece short ends together and cut two 3" x 59-1/2" strips and two 3" x 21-3/4" strips.
From Fabric C, cut:
- One 3-1/8" x WOF strip; subcut eight 3-1/8" squares.
- Two 2-3/4" x WOF strips; subcut sixteen 2-3/4" x 5" rectangles.
From Fabric D, cut:
- One 5" x WOF strip; subcut four 5" squares.
- Five 2-1/2" x WOF strips for binding.
From Fabric E, cut:
- One 14" x WOF strip; subcut two 14" squares. Cut each square diagonally twice to yield eight quarter-square triangles (you’ll use six).
- One 7-1/4" x WOF strip; subcut two 7-1/4" squares. Cut each square diagonally once to yield four half-square triangles.
From Fabric F, cut:
- One 3-1/8" x WOF strip; subcut eight 3-1/8" squares.
- Three 2-3/4" x WOF strips; subcut thirty-two 2-3/4" squares.
Making the Star Blocks
1. Draw a diagonal line on the back side of one 3-1/8" F square. Place right sides together with one 3-1/8" C square. Sew 1/4" to each side of drawn line. Cut apart on line. Repeat to create sixteen half-square triangle units. Square to 2-3/4".
2. Draw a diagonal line on the back side of two 2-3/4" F squares. With right sides together, place one marked square at one end of one 2-3/4" x 5" C rectangle. Sew on the drawn line. Trim 1/4" away from stitching. Press seam toward resulting F triangle. Repeat for other end of rectangle. Repeat to create sixteen flying-geese units. Square to 2-3/4" x 5".
3. Assemble one block using four half-square triangle units, four flying-geese units and one 5" D square. Sew units into rows; press. Sew rows together; press. Repeat to make four Star Blocks. Square to 9-1/2".
Looking for more home decor projects? Download our free eBook today for your next quilting project! DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
Assembling Your Table Runner
1. Sew one 1-1/2" x 9-1/2" A strip to opposite sides of one Star Block. Press toward the sashing strips. Repeat for each of the four blocks.
2. Referring to Assembly Diagram (this is located in the PDF download at the top of the page), lay Star Blocks, sashing strips and E setting triangles into correct placement.
3. Sew into diagonal rows and press toward the sashing strips. Sew rows together and continue to press toward sashing strips. Trim all four quilt sides to create straight edges, at least 1/4" past block points.
4. Sew one 1-1/2" x 57-1/2" A strip to opposite sides of runner. Press toward the inner border strips. Sew one 1-1/2" x 16-3/4" A strip to both ends of the runner. Press toward inner border strips.
5. Sew one 3" x 59-1/2" B strip to opposite sides of runner. Press toward the outer border strips. Sew one 3" x 21-3/4" B strip to both ends of the runner. Press toward outer border strips.
Finishing Your Table Runner
1. Prepare backing by pressing well to remove any creases.
2. Layer backing, batting and runner top. Baste and quilt as desired. Trim layers even with runner top squaring corners.
3. Prepare binding using 2 1/2" x WOF D strips. Sew binding to quilt using your preferred method.
What's your favorite type of home decor project to make? Let us know below in the comments!
Read NextFour Square Fabric Coaster
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Preppy Patchy Argyle Quilt
Are you looking for a quick and classy quilt pattern? Try sewing this Preppy Patchy Argyle Quilt that will look lovely in your home!… Continue reading: "Preppy Patchy Argyle Quilt"
- Four Square Fabric Coaster
- Kentucky Derby Table Topper Pattern
- Lovely Cross Table Topper Pattern
- Simple Squares and Rectangles Runner
- Floret Quilted Table Topper Pattern
- Jewel Table Runner Tutorial
- Simple Pinwheel Table Runner
- Sunshine Sunflower Table Topper
- Simple and Elegant Quilted Table Runner
- Planet Earth Quilted Table Topper Pattern
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Liberty Flowers Throw Quilt Pattern
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Log Cabin Echoes Bed Quilt Pattern
- Classic Blue Star Crossed Bed Quilt Pattern
- Jumbo Granny Squares Bed Quilt
- Charming Greens Bed Quilt Pattern
- Boho Chic Bed Quilt Pattern
- Happy Days Bed Quilt Pattern
- Fantasia Bed Quilt Pattern
- Mosaic Bed Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns