American Quilting Traditions: 11 Free Quilt Designs, Quilt Blocks, and More Americana
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Sunny Meadow Quilt
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
The Sunny Meadow Quilt pattern uses rich golds and reds contrasted with crisp light blue for gorgeous quilts with summer themes. This attractive, geometric pattern makes quilted sofa throws that are beautiful but subdued. The partial seams in half of the blocks in this quilt make this a pattern for a slightly more experienced quilter.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size52.5 inches wide x 52.5 inches long
Time to CompleteA week or two
Note: This pattern uses fabrics from the Modern Meadow collection by Joel Dewberry for FreeSpirit Fabrics. Fabrics are coded in materials list.
- JD 31 Dogwood Blooms - Harvest 3/4 yd.
- JD 31 Dogwood Blooms - Sunglow 2/3 yd.
- JD 32 Acorn Chain - Pond 1/2 yd.
- JD 32 Acorn Chain - Harvest 1/4 yd.
- JD 33 Sunflower - Sunglow 3/4 yd.
- JD 34 Flower Fields - Sunglow 1/2 yd.
- JD 34 Flower Fields - Sunset 7/8 yd.
- JD 35 Handpicked Daisies - Sunset 1 yd.
- JD 35 Handpicked Daisies - Sunglow 1 yd.
- JD 36 Herringbone - Pond 1/2 yd
- JD 36 Herringbone - Timber 1/2 yd.
- JD 37 Honeycomb - Sunglow 3 yd.
- JD 38 Majestic Oak - Sunglow 2/3 yd.
- JD 39 Nap Sack - Sunset 2/3 yd.
- JD 39 Nap Sack - Sunglow 1/4 yd.
- JD 40 Picnic Plaid - Sunglow 1/2 yd.
- JD 31 Dogwood Blooms - Harvest 3-1/2 yd. (for backing)
- Coordinating Thread
- Straight Pins
- Cut four 7-1/2” x 7-1/2” squares – one each from JD 31 Harvest, JD 33 Sunglow, JD 35 Sunset and JD 38 Sunglow.
- Cut eight using PATTERN 2 template – one each from JD 38 Sunglow, JD 40 Sunglow, JD 33 Sunglow, JD 31 Sunglow, JD 34 Sunglow, JD 39 Sunset, JD 35 Sunglow and JD 34 Sunset.
- Cut four using PATTERN 3 template – one each JD 33 Sunglow, JD 39 Sunglow, JD 35 Sunglow and JD 36 Pond.
- Cut thirty-six using PATTERN 0 template – (5) JD 39 Sunset, (5) JD 31 Sunglow, (5) JD 38 Sunglow, (1) JD 36 Pond, (4) JD 36 Timber, (4) JD 34 Sunset, (4) JD 34 Sunglow, (4) JD 32 Pond and (4) JD 32 Harvest.
- Make fifteen strip sets as shown in DIAGRAM B to yield 36 of PATTERN 1 template. Strip sets will be made of four 1-1/2” strips width of the fabric – JD 37 Sunglow – and four 1-1/2” strips width of the fabric plus one 2-1/2” strip width of the fabric – of the designated contrasting color.
NOTE: All strip sets will contrast with fabric JD 37 Sunglow.
Make the following strip set combinations: one strip set each with JD 32 Pond, JD 36 Pond and Timber, JD 40 Sunglow, JD 31 Sunglow, JD 35 Sunset, JD 39 Sunset and JD 38 Sunglow; two strip sets each with JD 33 Sunglow and JD 31 Harvest; three strip sets each with JD 35 Sunglow.
TIP: All strip sets start with the contrasting fabric and end with the 2-1/2” strip of the contrasting fabric. Precise cutting and 1/4” seams are a must with these strip sets. Careful pressing is also important – being sure to sandwich seams during construction.
TIP: Please note that when you cut the strips sets with PATTERN 1 template – the 2-1/2” strip is always at the top of the template. DO NOT flip the template up and down when cutting. The other pieced sections can be used for a project of your choice later.
- Construct 4 blocks using the 7-1/2” x 7-1/2” blocks by following DIAGRAM A.
- Construct the 8 side triangles by following Diagram C.
- Construct the 4 corners by following DIAGRAM D.
- Construct the entire quilt top by following DIAGRAM E.
- Layer and quilt as desired.
- Cut five 3” strips x width of fabric JD 37 Honeycomb in Sunglow for binding.
TIP: Before trimming quilted top – trim backing and batting 1/4” past quilt top edge. This will allow a base for the wider binding on the quilt – so it will finish nicely to 5/8”.
Read NextBandanna Picnic Quilt Tutorial
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block
The Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block is easily one of the most striking Irish chain quilt patterns you'll see today. This… Continue reading: "Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Book Quilt Block Mug Rug Pattern
- Fabric Flash Mug Rug Pattern
- Garden Party Bunting Mug Rug Pattern
- Coffee Cabin Self-Binding Mug Rug Pattern
- Big Scraps Quilt Block
- How To Make Flying Geese (4 At A Time Method)
- Easy Big Star Quilt Block
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips Free Quilt Block Pattern
- Sawtooth Star Quilt Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns