Picnic Around the World Quilt
Brighten up the traditional pattern for trip around the world quilts with the primary-colored Picnic Parade fabrics from FreeSpirit, or use your own favorite colors for a quick and easy summer quilt. This simple patchwork quilt makes a great beach blanket or picnic blanket.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size63 inches wide x 63 inches long
Time to CompleteA week or two
Note: This pattern was designed using fabrics from the Picnic Parade collection by Jenean Morrison for FreeSpirit Fabrics. Fabrics are coded in materials list.
- 1 yd. EACH JM22 Grenadine (A); JM12 Blue (B); JM20 Lime (C); JM12 Beetroot (D); JM21 Blue (E)
- 1 yd. HJM18 Blue (Binding)
- 3-1/2 yds. Backing
- Acrylic Ruler, mat, rotary cutter, sewing machine, scissors
- From each fabric A-E, cut 9 strips 3-1/2" x WOF.
- Make strip sets as shown, and following the chart for combinations. Stitch 2 strips together, press seams open, then stitch third strip to set. Press seams open.
- Cross-cut all strip sets into 3-1/2" x 9-1/2" segments.
- Following the chart, make 9 patches as shown. Stitch segments together to complete a 9-patch block.
- Following the layout below, stitch 9-patches together into rows, then stitch rows together. Press seams of each row in one direction.
- Layer, quilt, and bind. Cut binding strips 2-1/2" x WOF, on the bias if using the stripe. Stich strips together to make one continuous strip of binding.