What to Do with Fabric Scraps: 18 Scrap Quilt Patterns and Organizing Ideas
For the best scrap fabric ideas in quilting, take a look at these designs!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
A cluttered quilting space is never a good sign, so next time you notice your fabric scraps pile up, use the resources in What to Do with Fabric Scraps: 18 Scrap Quilt Patterns and Organizing Ideas. This list includes some of the most popular scrap quilt patterns on our site, as well as quilt tutorials and quilt basket pattern that provide you with even more ways to turn your scraps of fabric into real treasures.
Making scrappy quilts is a fantastic way to be creative while staying thrifty at the same time. You will find quilt patterns using scrapbusters in five unique sections: Scrappy Quilt Block Patterns, Small Stash-Buster Fabric Projects, Top Scrap Quilt Designs, Quilt Basket Patterns and Organizing Ideas, and Scrap Fabric Ideas and Tutorials.
So, no need to throw out that spare fabric or keep it forever and ever without having a plan. These ideas are beautiful, unique, and will take care of your scraps and then some. A majority of these scrap quilt patterns also make wonderful gifts for loved ones.
Table of Contents
Keep upcycling with the ideas found in this collection, Keepsake Quilting: T-Shirt Quilts, Photo Quilts, and More
Scrappy Quilt Block Patterns
Create a unique pattern by starting with these bold scrap quilt block patterns. Quilt blocks, in general, are good projects for your scraps but these quilt block patterns are particularly perfect for scrapbusting.
From strips to blocks, and other imaginative designs, these patterns will please any quilter. So, take a look at the ideas below.
- 2 Ways Strip Tube BlockUse your favorite color scheme to make a mesmerizing quilt block.
Learn not one, but two ways to turn fabric scraps into versatile quilt block patterns for future projects with the tutorial for the 2 Ways Strip Tube Block.
- Free Cut Floating BricksArtistic quilters will enjoy the freedom that comes with this scrappy quilt pattern.
With this Free Cut Floating Bricks tutorial, quilting beginners can create their very own scrap strip quilt pattern masterpiece.
- Clever Bargello BlockTake your first steps towards making a bargello quilt.
Check out this guide on the Clever Bargello Block to read instructions on how to make quilt block patterns with an intriguing bargello quilt design.
- X Marks the Spot BlockThe design within these quilt block patterns is really complemented by bright scrap fabric.
Finally find the new quilt block patten you have been looking for with this X Marks the Spot Block.
Small Stash-Buster Fabric Projects
Your scrap fabric patterns can serve an everyday purpose in your life with these ideas. Find necklaces, bowls, plates, cases, and cushion ideas in the list below. With these ideas, you'll be spending less money on trendy new fashion or home decor items.
The best part is that no one will know you didn't spend tons of money on these designs. They won't believe you made them, either!
- Little Hexie NecklaceThose who are fans of English paper piecing can show off their pride with their fashion simply by making their very own Little Hexie Necklace.
It's super cute and can be made with a few pieces of your favorite fabric.
- Scrapped Sewing Machine CaseKeep your sewing machine safe and clean.
You can by showing your sewing machine some love with this Scrapped Sewing Machine Case.
- Fun Quilted Chair CushionYou'll be ready for rain after you've made this easy quilt pattern.
Using your cute yet fashionable fabric scraps, you can now make your very own Fun Quilted CHair Cushion.
- Lovely Lily Bowl and PlateThis is one of the most popular quilted decor projects out there.
The Lovely Lily Bowl and Plate project is small, but sets a gentle, calm atmosphere with its beauty.
Top Scrap Quilt Designs
Quilters can't get enough of these scrap quilt patterns. These quilts are full of color, fun shapes, and lots of scraps. Make a baby quilt, a technicolor quilt, a beautiful round, or fill your pattern with scrappy squares from your collection.
It's amazing how many scraps you will use up with these scrap quilt patterns. These are some of the best ways to use fabric scraps ever!
- Strip and Flip QuiltStrip quilt piecing makes creating a two-sided scrap quilt pattern so easy.
If you're a beginner with a lot of leftovers on your hands, you can make the Strip and Flip Quilt.
- Circle of Wedges QuiltThere's practically nothing you can't use this quilt pattern for.
For a perfect blend of convenience, comfort, and quirkiness, make a Circle of Wedges Quilt.
- Fun With Bricks Scrap QuiltImagine how much you'll save if you make your own bed quilt using your fabric scraps.
The Fun With Bricks Scrap Quilt is a fun way to bust your fabric stash and make a quilt for a guest bedroom or as a donation to charity.
- Easy as Pie Stash QuiltWhen you're in need of an easy quilt pattern to finish in no time, try this.
Have some scraps left over from your last quilt? No need to worry about an overload of fabric; get rid of some of them with the Easy as Pie Stash Quilt.
Quilt Basket Patterns and Organizing Ideas
You won't be using your scrap fabric right away, so make sure it's properly stored. Below, find some fabric holders and other fabric organizing ideas. With these projects, you will be ready to start using your fabric scraps and be able to keep them organized when you're not using them.
You can even use scraps to make these baskets and holders. Dual purpose quilting patterns are the best, aren't they?
- Round Bottom Quilted BucketThis large quilted cloth basket pattern has plenty of space and can go anywhere.
Sometimes, a quilted basket for a table just isn't big enough. If you need something bigger to help you tackle clutter of any kind, make the Round Bottom Quilted Bucket.
- Super Simple Fabric CatcherWipe fabric scraps into this quilted basket as you work.
Don't get buried in a mess; just make a Super Simple Fabric Catcher to keep on the end of your quilting station.
- Sorting Scraps by Size and ColorRead this quilt tutorial to see an easy approach to organizing scrappy quilt leftovers.
Rachel Hauser from Stitched In Color shares her organization system for sorting scraps by size and color.
Scrap Fabric Ideas and Tutorials
These quilt tutorials have excellent tips on how to use fabric scraps in various parts of the quilting process. Use scraps to bind your quilts, make a one-of-a-kind top from fabric scraps, or design a quilt border with fun diamonds made from your stash.
These ideas will charge your creativity and have you pumped and ready to upcycle all of your fabric pieces. You can make the most amazing things without having to worry about buying new fabric.
- Scrappy BindingMake your own scrappy quilt binding!
Quilters with a passion for all things scrappy will love this quick and crafty approach to making Scrappy Binding.
- Making a Crazy Quilt TopDesign your own colorful crazy quilt pattern that's perfect for showing off your scraps.
If you're one of these quilters, take a looking at this tutorial for Making a Crazy Quilt Top before you start your next scrap quilt pattern.
- Split Diamond Quilt BorderIf you like to work on detailing, try this unconventional border.
The Split Diamond Quilt Border is easy to make from quilt fabric scraps and lends itself well to chain piecing for quick sewing.
For more home decor quilting ideas, be sure to download your copy of "Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home" eBook
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Stacked Squares Quilt Block Pattern
- Rising Star Quilt Block
- Stitchin' Heaven
- Simple Sew
- Hoffman Media / Classic Sewing Magazine
- Shamrock Shenanigan ~ A Scrappy Mini Quilt Pattern
- Single Snowflake
- Lumberjack Quilt — A Cozy Flannel Quilt Pattern
- Happy Heart Quilt — A Scrappy Mini Quilt Pattern
- National Quilting Month 2021
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns