American Quilting Traditions: 11 Free Quilt Designs, Quilt Blocks, and More Americana
9 Scrap Quilt Block Patterns: Free Quilt Blocks for Every Kind of Quilt
These easy scrap quilt blocks will not only help you use up your stash but also ignite your imagination.
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Over the years, many quilters come to accumulate a huge pile of scrap quilt fabric that were remnants from finished quilt projects. While these scrap quilting fabrics are technically leftovers, they can still be wonderfully useful for creating small quilt projects, such as quilt blocks.
That's why we've put together a list of 9 Scrap Quilt Block Patterns: Free Quilt Block Designs for Every Kind of Quilt. Check out these scrappy block designs for patterns such as scrapbuster star quilt blocks, crazy quilt blocks, log cabin quilt blocks, and many more quilt blocks that will help you put your scrap collection to good use.
PLUS! Check out the video right below to learn how to make a Star Flower Block Pattern from our friend Carolina. This block pattern can be as scrappy as you want. This video tutorial is perfect for visual learners!
Table of Contents
Strip and Square Scrap Quilt Blocks
Not only are all of these geometric scrap quilt blocks really easy patterns to make, they are also bursting with fun color and design.
It's easy to find strips or squares for quilt blocks, which is why you will love these patterns.
Use the colorful designs used here for inspiration and use your own color and pattern combination or make it as close as you can to what is shown.
Either way, you can use up scraps to make something beautiful, like this Series of Squares Scrapbuster Block.
For a quilt block with an especially unique look, use scrap fabrics with a wide variety of colors and prints to make this disappearing nine patch pattern.
BONUS! Use two different patterns or more for this simple scrap quilt block pattern. It's a pretty and easy design to make with any fabric pieces you have.
For even more beautiful blocks, check out our collection of 38 Fantastic Free Quilt Block Patterns
Scrappy Star Quilt Blocks
You'll be amazed at the variety of star quilt patterns you can make with just a few pieces of scrap quilt fabric.
Stars are always desirable in quilting and they are even better when you can use up some of those scraps you have lying around.
The best thing about these star quilt blocks is that they will look lovely on anything from a rustic bedspread to a new Christmas quilt pattern.
Follow suit with this Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block and make a rainbow design or use red and green for the holidays or other color combination to match your theme.
Capture the effortless beauty of a lone star quilt pattern when you make this lovely scrappy block design.
BONUS! This simple block pattern uses just a few strips and triangle scraps, which means that most likely you will have plenty of scraps to make one or multiple blocks in this style.
Classic Scrap Quilt Blocks
Traditional quilt block patterns, such as log cabin and rail fence designs, are some of the best projects for using up scrappy quilt fabric.
While you piece together little bits of scraps, check out these tutorials to learn classic quilting techniques, like this awesome Scrappy Geese Quilt Block.
The others include log cabin, rail fence, and even an amazing bonus pineapple block that you will not be able to resist.
All of these patterns are both traditional with the possibility of a modern twist, depending on the fabric choices you make.
Use this adorable scrappy quilt block to show off your color creativity. You can use completely different colors and patterns or use only a few repeating. Either way, it will look amazing.
Create a clean-looking scrap quilt block with this neat log cabin pattern. It's clean and simple but look at how much creativity you can use to make it work wonderfully.
BONUS! This is a true scrapbuster, indeed! Look at how many different strips you can use to create a gorgeous pineapple pattern? Amazing!
Interested in more scrap quilt patterns and organization tips? Check out 20 Organizing Ideas: Making Small Quilt Projects and Reusing Your Fabric Scraps
Read NextRoyal Patchwork Quilt Block Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Royal Patchwork Quilt Block Pattern
- Castles in the Air Block Tutorial
- Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block
- Colorful Rainbow Quilt Block
- Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block
- Stepping Stones Quilt Block Pattern
- Stacks & Stacks of Scraps Quilt Block
- Rising Star Quilt Block
- Celtic Squares Block
- Churn Dash Block
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Broken Dishes Baby Quilt Pattern
- 18+ Free Decorative Christmas Quilt Patterns
- Morning Frost Quilt Pattern
- Shiny + Bright Ornament #6
- Fun Christmas Tree Quilt Blocks For Your Crumbs & Scraps
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Christmas Ornament Mini Quilt Pattern
- 13+ Free Winter Quilt Patterns
- 14+ Free Christmas Quilt Block Patterns
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns