We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
The wonder of a wintry forest can grace your home if you make the Winter Birds Tea Cozy and Wall Hanging. Rustic charm and elegant scenery make the perfect prints for these decorative quilt patterns. Small quilt blocks help to show off the beautiful contrast between the lights and darks within the quilted wall hanging, allowing it to stand out no matter where you put it. At the same time, you can help set a relaxing vibe in your kitchen or living room by decorating your tea pot with a sweet matching tea cozy that's just as easy to make.
Finished Tea Cozy Size: 14" x 12"
Finished Wall Hanging Size: 45" x 45"
Finished Block Size: 6" x 6"
Number of Blocks: 20
WOF = width of fabric from selvage to selvage. Label all
pieces with the letters given in the cutting list. These letters
are used to identify the pieces throughout the instructions.
22991 K: Wild Bird Large Print
- Cut (1) 2½" x WOF strip. Recut strip into (1) 22½" x22½" A square.
- Cut (1) 15" x WOF strip. Recut strip into (2) 13" x 15"rectangles for front and back tea cozy pieces.
22992 N: Blue Chickadee Print
- Cut (5) 4" x WOF. Recut into (2) 4" x 38½" outer borderside strips. Set aside remaining strips for outer border top and bottom strips.
22993 K: Blue Pine Needles Print
- Cut (3) 4½" x WOF strips for block strip sets.
- Cut (2) 2½" x WOF strips for block strip sets.
22994 E: Cream Holly Print
- Cut (1) 13" x WOF strip. Recut strip into (2) 13" x 15" rectangles for tea cozy front and back lining.
22995 R: Red Check
- Cut 2½" bias strips to total 55" for binding the edges of the tea cozy.
22996 B: Light Blue Speckles
- Cut (8) 1½" x WOF strips. Recut strips into 2 strips each 1½" x 22½" and 1½" x 24½" inner border strips and 2 strips each 1½" x 36½" and 1½" x 38½" for border 3.
- Cut (6) 2¼" x WOF binding strips.
22996 N: Dark Blue Speckles
- Cut (2) 4½" x WOF strips for block strip sets.
- Cut (3) 2½" x WOF strips for block strip sets.
22996 K: Gray Speckles
- Cut (2) 53" x WOF strips for wall hanging backing.
Completing the Tea Cozy:
Prepare patterns for tea cozy pieces using patterns
Cut 2 tea cozy pieces using the 13" x 15" rectangles
wild bird large print for outside of tea cozy; repeat to cut 2 lining pieces from the cream holly print 13" x 15" rectangles and 2 batting pieces.
Lay the batting pieces side by side on a flat surface.
Place the wild bird large print tea cozy pieces on the
batting right side up and the green check tea cozy pieces
right side down against the wild bird print pieces. Pin
straight edges together on each layered unit and stitch using a ¼" seam allowance.
Select 1 stitched unit and press open with seam
allowance toward the lining piece. Sew along the edge
of the lining close to seam through seam allowance
layers. Trim the batting only close to stitching to reduce
Fold the lining fabric around the seam against the
batting and press seam along the bottom edge so that the
seam line rolls slightly to the lining size of the unit. Pin
and then baste the curved edges together. Note: The
batting and lining pieces may now be past the edge of
the outer fabric. If so, trim even with the raw edge of the
Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the second layered unit.
Pin the 2 basted tea cozy halves with lining sides
together, matching curved edges. Stitch along the curved
edge ½" away from the curved raw edge of the tea cozy,
securing stitches at the beginning and end.
Join the bias binding strips on the short ends to make a
long strip; press seams open. Trim off a 10" length of
the 2½" bias binding. Trim this strip to 1½" x 10". Fold
the strip in half with right sides together along the
length; sew along the raw edge using a ¼" seam
allowance. Turn right side out and press flat with seam
along 1 of the folded edges. Trim to 6" long for top
Fold the 6" loop strip in half, matching ends to make a
loop and baste raw edges together. Pin and then
machine-baste the ends of the loop to the top center of 1
side of the tea cozy.
Fold the remainder of the 2½"-wide bias binding in half with wrong sides together along length and press. Pin the binding along the curved edge of the stitched tea cozy with raw edges even and leaving a 3" tail on the beginning end.
Sew the binding to the layers using a fat 1/4" seam allowance to enclose the previous line of stitching. Press the stitched binding toward the seam and then fold to the other side to enclose the seam; pin to hold in place.
Unfold the binding at the ends and fold the tails to the inside of the binding; trim excess to 1". Fold the binding again to enclose the ends.
- Fold the loop up and hand-stitch in place to finish.
Completing the Border Blocks:
Sew a 4½" x WOF strip dark blue speckles to a 2½" x
WOF strip blue pine needles print along the length with
right sides together to make a strip set. Press seam
toward the darker fabric. Repeat to make a second strip
Recut the strip sets into (20) 2½" x 6½" dark segments.
Sew a 2½" x WOF strip dark blue speckles to a 4½" x
WOF strip white holly print along the length with right
sides together to make a strip set. Press seam toward the
darker fabric. Repeat to make a total of 3 strip sets.
Recut the strip sets into (20) 4½" x 6½" light segments.
Select 1 each dark and light segment and join to
complete 1 border block. Press seams toward the light
segments. Repeat to make a total of 20 Border Blocks.
Completing the Wall Hanging:
Sew the 1½" x 22½" strips cream holly print to opposite
sides and the 1½" x 24½" strips to the top and bottom of
the A square. Press seams toward strips.
Arrange and join 4 Border Blocks to make a side border
strip. Press seams in 1 direction. Repeat to make a
second side border strip.
Sew the side border strips to opposite sides of the
bordered A square; press seams away from the side border strips.
Arrange and join 6 Border Blocks to make the top
border strip. Press seams in 1 direction. Repeat to make
the bottom border strips.
Sew the top and bottom border strips to the top and
bottom of the bordered A square. Press seams away from the block border strips.
Sew the 1½" x 36½" strips cream holly print to opposite
sides and the 1½" x 38½" strips to the top and bottom of
the pieced center. Press seams toward strips.
Sew the 4" x 38½" strips blue chickadee print to
opposite sides of the pieced center; press seams toward
strips. Join the remaining 4" x WOF strips on the short
ends to make a long strip; press. Recut the strip into (2)
4" x 45½" strips. Sew these strips to the top and bottom
of the pieced center to complete the wall hanging top;
press seams toward strips.
Join the 2¼"-wide light blue speckles binding strips
with diagonal seams, trim seams to ¼" and press open to
make a long strip. Fold the strip with wrong sides
together and press to make binding.
Remove selvage edges from each of the two 53"
backing pieces and join on the 53" edges. Center the
seam, trim to make a 53" backing square.
Layer, quilt, and bind the wall hanging top using your
favorite methods and the prepared light blue speckles
binding strip to complete the wall hanging.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Winter Snowflake Block Tutorial
- Simple Christmas Fat Quarter Quilt
- Black and Red Flannel Quilt
- Attic Window Snowman Scene Quilt
- 15 Free Flannel Quilt Patterns for Maximum Cuddling
- Fluttering Snowflakes Centerpiece
- Peppermint Mini Quilt Pattern
- Block Party Quilt
- 20 Gorgeous Winter Quilt Patterns
- Midnight Frost Table Runner
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- To The Nines! ~ A Pretty Block Of The Week Quilt
- Winnie the Pooh and Friends Quilt Pattern
- Give and Take Free Quilt Pattern
- Pinwheel Party Mini Quilt
- Rag Rose Pincushion
- Nine Patch Quilt Block
- Meandering Wisconsin ~ A Picnic Quilt Pattern
- Card Trick Quilt Block
- How To Make A Rag Pillow
- Ohio Star Quilt Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns