Classic Memories T Shirt Quilt
Quilting on a budget has never been easier. The next time you plan to make a special pattern for a loved one, grab some old tees and try learning how to make a t-shirt quilt with this Classic Memories T Shirt Quilt pattern. What makes this memory quilt special and totally unique is that it's simply made from old shirt designs. A collection of sports tees, old school shirts, and any other interesting design will bring forth so much happy nostalgia when used to create a t shirt quilt. Make one for a special occasion or the next time you are low on fabric.
Find more keepsake quilting and t-shirt quilt patterns in our collection Keepsake Quilting: T-Shirt Quilts, Photo Quilts, and More.
- Cutting Mat (24" x 36")
1) I decided to take the simple approach. I used Fiskars 8" Easy Action Scissors and firm piece of cardboard to trim a 10 inch square from each t-shirt. I wasn’t worried about capturing the entire logo or name, but if you are, be sure to allow at least a _ inch border all the way around. I find it easiest to work on a large surface, so I protect my table with Fiskars 24" x 36" Cutting Mat
2) After cutting the squares, I stitched each edge to a strip of patterned cotton. If I got off track, the seam ripper in the Fiskars Sew Taxi made it easy for me to correct my mistakes.
3) After stitching all the squares together, I ironed on a fusible backing, then pinned the right side to the right side of a coordinating fabric.
4) I stitched around all sides, leaving a small opening to turn right-side-out. I then hand stitched the opening closed. As this point, you can quilt the throw, or simple leave as is. (tip: Susan Weinwroth has a great quilting tutorial here.
Other ideas for capturing memories with fabric:
- Take a photo of favorite stuffed animals, and then transfer the photos to fabric (you can find photo transfer kits at your local craft store). Use the photo fabric squares to create a quilt, throw, or pillows.
- Use old t-shirts to create throw pillows for your child’s room.
- Add snippets of fabric to scrapbook pages to add texture and dimension to pages
Read NextFamily Keepsake Quilt Tutorial