- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Butterflies a Flutter Baby Quilt Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Make an adorable baby blanket in no time at all with this simple baby quilt pattern. With butterfly applique and a pink ruffle trim, the Butterflies a Flutter Baby Quilt Pattern has a crisp white background, covered in swirly free-motion quilting. The white quilt allows the colorful butterflies to pop and stand out in a fabulous way. The precious butterflies, fluttering across the blanket, will relax your baby girl into a deep and pleasant slumber. Plus, your baby girl can keep this fantastical applique quilt even after she's grown up.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size36 inches wide x 45 inches long
Time to CompleteWeekend project
- SpraynBondTM Basting Adhesive
- Butterfly Pattern 1 and Pattern 2
- 1 Yard Background Fabric
- 6+ Coordinating Fat Quarters for Butterflies
- 1 Yard Backing Fabric
- 1/2 Yard Coordinating Fabric for Optional Ruffle
- Prewash appliqué and quilt face fabrics before using (without fabric softeners). Pretest SpraynBond™ on a scrap piece of fabric before beginning the project.
- Cut out your appliqué shapes. See attached pages of adorable butterfly templates!
Click to Enlarge:
- Shake SpraynBond™ can well. Spray the back of the appliqué butterfly with SpraynBond™ Basting Spray in a sweeping motion.
- Place the sprayed butterfly on the quilt face while it is still tacky. If you don’t like where you placed it you can just peel it off and re-stick it till you are happy with your placement.
- Once the butterflies are on the project as you like them, simply stitch them into place. Use an embroidery foot or a walking foot on your sewing machine. The use of SpraynBond™ saves you a lot of time, since there are no pins to put in or take out as you sew.
- Use SpraynBondTM to tack your batting on the back of the quilt topper and backing fabric. Quilt as desired.
- Wash the project according to fabric used. SpraynBondTM washes out, leaving your quilt soft and cuddly.
Fun Butterfly Facts
Butterflies are graceful and beautiful creatures that represent the season of spring and renewal, but did you know these fun butterfly facts? Butterfly senses are a bit mixed up from our own. Butterflies cannot hear but feel vibrations instead. They also taste using their feet rather than their mouths, which probably makes you wonder if flower nectar tastes that bad! Butterflies also don’t have lungs and breathe through openings in their abdomen called spiracles. Butterfly eyes are made up of around 6,000 lenses and are able to see ultraviolet light. The pretty colors and designs on their wings are made from overlapping scales, but they don’t actually need those scales to fly. If you removed a butterflies scales, the only effect would be its loss of color and design. Because of their hard exterior, butterflies are relatives of the crab and lobster. Now that would be an interesting family reunion to see!
This is one of our 7 Best Free Applique Patterns!
Read NextFlutter and Flowers Springtime Quilt
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
mimiquilts2 986459 5
Sep 17, 2014
I made this quilt and it was my first appliquing. The baby quilt came out beautiful. I used ruffle with the binding attached to it, it was easy just to sew on. I rounded the corners of the quilt to soften to look. Stephanie
Dec 21, 2013
Where is the ruffle instructions???
nancygengland 9708 054
Oct 31, 2013
Where can I find the pattern?
francishardman 852 6369
Oct 16, 2013
New to applique but will love learning with this lovely quilt x
Sep 12, 2013
my daughter-in-law loves butterflies and I wanted to make her a baby quilt for her first child who got here 10 weeks early so now I don't have much time to finish ,also it will be my first so I hope I can do this because I know she will love it. thanks for sharing.
almabrown1234 7969 429
Mar 06, 2013
What a beautiful art. I can't wait to make this one.
Feb 25, 2013
I would love to have a downloadable file on the patterns rather than saving the project on this site. Many times I am away from the computer and I do make a back up CD so I can share with others or just show them the latest patterns so they can go to your site to get the pattern.
Mar 07, 2019
Just highlight what you want and then copy and paste it into whatever office document you use. or if you have firefox use the add on fireshot to capture what you want.
Feb 21, 2013
it is sew cute
Feb 20, 2013
It looks like you quilted it before appliqueing. Is that right? Are the butterflies zigzaged on or just a straight stitch?
Feb 20, 2013
Love this...cannot wait to work it into a design I have in mind...like to design my own
Feb 19, 2013
simple and stunning, I love these butterflies
grammakitty8 45605 45
Nov 02, 2012
Butterflies fluttering across for baby to follow.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Golden Hunter's Star Quilt
Some star quilt patterns are more common than others if you want to try something totally different from the look of a lone star… Continue reading: "Golden Hunter's Star Quilt"
- Flutter and Flowers Springtime Quilt
- Easy Strip Quilt Tutorial
- Butterflies a Flutter Baby Quilt Pattern
- Free Spring Quilt Patterns
- Hoshi's Garden Quilt Pattern
- Spring in Scandinavia Vintage Sheet Quilt
- Disappearing Four Patch Quilt Pattern
- Windmills by the Sea Shore Quilt Pattern
- Window Box Scrapbuster Quilt
- Fields of Tulips Quilt
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Liberty Flowers Throw Quilt Pattern
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Log Cabin Echoes Bed Quilt Pattern
- Classic Blue Star Crossed Bed Quilt Pattern
- Jumbo Granny Squares Bed Quilt
- Charming Greens Bed Quilt Pattern
- Boho Chic Bed Quilt Pattern
- Happy Days Bed Quilt Pattern
- Fantasia Bed Quilt Pattern
- Mosaic Bed Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns