15 Baby Rag Quilt Patterns
Looking for a quick project for your grandbaby? Don't miss these DIY rag quilts for beginner quilters!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
If you're new to quilting, rag quilts are your best friend. Easier to make than traditional quilt patterns, rag quilts are designed to be simple, quick to make, and super soft! FaveQuilts has compiled our list of easy baby rag quilt patterns so that you can find the perfect beginner quilting project to make for your grandbaby.
These DIY baby quilt tutorials show you how to make a rag quilt using cotton or flannel fabric, so that you can design a simple quilt that's soft and warm. We've even thrown in a few projects that use minky fabric, which your little one will love cuddling with. Create a thoughtful and snuggly gift for your next baby shower with these easy rag quilt patterns.
New to quilting? Be sure to check out our video tutorial on how to make a rag quilt!
*Please note: Similar to blankets, rag quilts should never be used in a crib with a newborn. They do make excellent play mats for tummy time, and can be used for older children.
Flannel Rag Quilt Tutorials for Beginners
Flannel makes an excellent choice for rag quilts, not only because of its warmth, but because it also creates a unique fraying effect that's a staple of classic rag quilts. If you're searching for a warm flannel quilt for your grandbaby, then be sure to check out these rag quilt tutorials!
- Magical Flannel Rag Baby Quilt Tutorial
Use up some leftover fabric and save some dough by trying this Magical Flannel Rag Baby Quilt Tutorial.
- Baby Perfect Rag Quilt
If you are not much of a perfectionist but want to learn how to make a soft, comfortable, and warm baby quilt, this may be a great option for you.
- Nathaniel Rag Quilt
What makes this rag quilt in particular stand out is the impressive way the design incorporates the square in a square quilt pattern within the basic framework.
- Snuggly Stripes Rag Quilt Pattern
This particular rag quilt pattern can be made with flannel, and makes a great gift for expecting mamas and papas-to-be.
- Borders Baby Rag Quilt
This adorable rag quilt uses pink and brown flannel squares in a concentric pattern for an adorable baby quilt.
Cotton Rag Quilt Tutorials
Cotton rag quilts are slightly lighter than their flannel counterparts, so they're great baby blankets for warmer weather. You can also create the classic frayed exposed seam using cotton fabric, similar to the frayed edge that appears in traditional flannel rag quilts. Pick a bundle of bright and fun prints, and design the perfect rag quilt for your grandbaby.
- Rustic Rag Quilt
This rustic rag quilt is the perfect size to keep your baby warm while you push them in a stroller.
- Lovey Raggey Heart Stitched Baby Quilt
This simple DIY baby quilt pattern combines some beautiful stitching and a simple pattern to keep your baby warm.
- Apple of My Eye Raggedy Scallop Quilt
Instead of choosing a conventional block pattern, make something soft and curvy using the absolutely adorable Apple of My Eye Raggedy Scallop Quilt pattern.
- Frayed Seams Baby Quilt
Whether you use charm pack patterns or old scrap fabrics, this is an interesting rag quilt pattern because the seams are on the outside of the quilt top rather than the inside.
- Baby Boy's Blue Rag Quilt
Read up on this tutorial to learn how to add extra soft texture to this blanket by free motion quilting color-coordinated thread on the top of your rag quilt.
- Half-Square Triangle Rag Quilt
If you love cute rag quilts but want to make something a little more interesting than rag quilt squares, this tutorial is for you!
- Minky Rag Quilt Tutorial
Design a soft and cuddly quilt for your newest grandbaby using warm, minky fabric with this rag quilt tutorial.
- Cheater Rag Quilt Tutorial
This is not your traditional rag quilt. This comes together really quickly and is a great project for beginners or for kids who are wanting to learn to sew a quilt.
New to quilting? Then be sure to download our free eBook of jelly roll quilt patterns! Jelly rolls are perfect for beginner quilters. How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
What types of projects would you like to see on FaveQuilts? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
- Scrappy Posie Baby Quilt
- Ahoy Sailor Quilt Pattern
- Disappearing Four Patch Baby Quilt
- Market Squares Quilt Pattern
- Simple Squares Quilt Pattern
- Glam Girl Chevron Baby Quilt
- Mod Triangle Baby Quilt Tutorial
- Scrappy Butterfly Baby Quilt Tutorial
- Adorable Triangle Baby Quilt
- Sunshine on My Shoulders Quilt Tutorial
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quilt Coloring Book: 10 Quilt Coloring Pages to Print
- Quarantine Bingo: Quilting Edition
- Quilt Project Tracker (Free Printable PDF)
- Little Blue Lake Quilt Block
- Art Deco Tulip Block Pattern
- Diy Laundry Bag
- Rustic Christmas Tree Mini Pillow or Mug Rug
- Patchwork Heart Pincushion
- May Flower - Months Of Mugs Block Of The Month
- Scrappy Posie Baby Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns