Easy Striped Euro Sham
This simple piecework pattern will teach you how to sew pillow shams using Accuquilt die cuts. The Easy Striped Euro Sham makes a square pillowcase with sunny diagonal stripes and a plain center square that's perfect for appliques or embroidery.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size30 inches wide x 30 inches long
Time to CompleteIn an evening
MATERIALS (for 2 shams):
- 2-1/4 yards white fabric for center squares and back panels (fabric needs to be at least 41" wide)
- 1/2 yard dark orange fabric for parallelograms
- 5/8 yard medium orange fabric for parallelograms
- 1-1/4 yard pink fabric for outer border (front and back)
- Accuquilt die cutting machine
- Accuquilt Parallelogram-3-3⁄4 " x 3-1⁄2" Quilt Block G (#55004)
- Accuquilt 5" x 10" mat (#55110)
- Accuquilt Strip Cutter-2½" (#55017)
- Accuquilt Triangle-6½" Quilt Block C (#55001)
Center sham fabric:
- Cut 1—20-1/2" square for center front
- Cut 2—19" x 26-1/2" rectangles for overlapping back panels
- Cut 5 pairs—parallelograms
- Cut 1—6-/2" triangle
- Cut 9 pairs—parallelograms
- Cut 1—6-1/2" triangle
- Cut 8—2-1/2" strips across width of fabric for borders
- Layout parallelograms for inner border according to diagram.
- Pin right sides together (RST) and sew parallelograms together in four sections (label top, bottom, right, and left sides).
- Press seams toward darker fabric.
- Pin (RST) and sew pieced inner border to center square stopping sewing 1/4" from corners marked with a star. Press seams toward inner border.
- Sew starred corner parallelogram seams together (RST). Press seams open.
- Pin (RST) and sew triangles to corners to complete inner border.
- Pin (RST) and sew 2-1/2" outer border strips to sides ﬁrst, then top and bottom to complete euro sham front.
Quilting and Finishing:
- Layer euro sham front with batting. Pin or baste layers together.
- Machine quilt with diagonal rows of quilting extending quilting into inner border, as shown by dotted lines.