American Quilting Traditions: 11 Free Quilt Designs, Quilt Blocks, and More Americana
Pinwheel Block Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
From the designer: "You’ll be on your way to a super cute and classic quilt with this Pinwheel Quilt Block Pattern. Designed to be one of the “blocks of the month” and a 12 inch square, this quilt square pattern is a great practice block to get you on your way to creating your own handmade quilt. Use this square pattern as one of the blocks in your homemade
Note: Throw-sized quilt pattern can be purchased as an instant print and digital download.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size12 inches wide x 12 inches long
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 2 fat quarters- one light fabric and one dark fabric color
- Thread, scissors, iron, rotary cutter and mat, sewing machine
Cut two 6 7/8" squares
Sub cut each 6 6/8" square in half diagonally. You will be cutting on the bias, so be careful to avoid distortion. Yield=4 half square triangles.
From dark fabric: Cut two 6 7/8" square in half diagonally. You will be cutting on the bias, so be careful to avoid distortion. Yield=4 half square triangles.
Piecing Directions: Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
With right sides together, sew one light half square triangle to one dark half square triangle on the diagonal cut. Repeat four times to make four squares. Gently press seams together toward the dark triangles. Again, your are working with the bias, so avoid stretching the fabric.
With right sides together, join two pieced squares alternating light and dark triangles as shown in diagram. Gently press seams toward the dark triangles. Repeat for second pair of squares. You should now have two rectangles composed of alternating light and dark triangles.
Join the two rectangles as shown to form the block. Gently press seams toward the dark triangles.
(c) all rights reserved by Donna Westerkamp
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
If you've been searching for the perfect quilting project for your new grandbaby, then look no further than this adorable and handy… Continue reading: "Tied with a Bow Car Seat Canopy"
- Scrappy Bear Paw Quilt and Block
- Danish Pinwheel Star Block Tutorial
- Royal Patchwork Quilt Block Pattern
- Yankee Puzzle Quilt Block
- Radiant Splendor Quilt Block
- Quatrefoil Quilt Block Pattern
- Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block
- Castles in the Air Block Tutorial
- Stacks & Stacks of Scraps Quilt Block
- Scrappy Pineapple Quilt Block
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Circuits Circus Quilt Pattern
- 3D Doors Quilt
- How To Make A Bias Binding
- Scrappy Stars
- Quilted Wall Hanging From Scraps
- Quilt As You Go Scrappy Coasters
- Evergreen Wreath Quilt
- Sulky of America
- Fat Quarter Organizer Bins
- Pumpkin Patch Easy Mini Quilt For Beginners
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns