This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Pinwheel Block Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
From the designer: "You’ll be on your way to a super cute and classic quilt with this Pinwheel Quilt Block Pattern. Designed to be one of the “blocks of the month” and a 12 inch square, this quilt square pattern is a great practice block to get you on your way to creating your own handmade quilt. Use this square pattern as one of the blocks in your homemade
Note: Throw-sized quilt pattern can be purchased as an instant print and digital download.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size12 inches wide x 12 inches long
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 2 fat quarters- one light fabric and one dark fabric color
- Thread, scissors, iron, rotary cutter and mat, sewing machine
Cut two 6 7/8" squares
Sub cut each 6 6/8" square in half diagonally. You will be cutting on the bias, so be careful to avoid distortion. Yield=4 half square triangles.
From dark fabric: Cut two 6 7/8" square in half diagonally. You will be cutting on the bias, so be careful to avoid distortion. Yield=4 half square triangles.
Piecing Directions: Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
With right sides together, sew one light half square triangle to one dark half square triangle on the diagonal cut. Repeat four times to make four squares. Gently press seams together toward the dark triangles. Again, your are working with the bias, so avoid stretching the fabric.
With right sides together, join two pieced squares alternating light and dark triangles as shown in diagram. Gently press seams toward the dark triangles. Repeat for second pair of squares. You should now have two rectangles composed of alternating light and dark triangles.
Join the two rectangles as shown to form the block. Gently press seams toward the dark triangles.
(c) all rights reserved by Donna Westerkamp
Read NextFabric Origami Quilt Block
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Pleated Strips Beginner Quilt
If you're new to quilting and are looking for an easy pattern to start with, look no further than the Pleated Strips Beginner Quilt.… Continue reading: "Pleated Strips Beginner Quilt"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Liberty Flowers Throw Quilt Pattern
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Log Cabin Echoes Bed Quilt Pattern
- Classic Blue Star Crossed Bed Quilt Pattern
- Jumbo Granny Squares Bed Quilt
- Charming Greens Bed Quilt Pattern
- Boho Chic Bed Quilt Pattern
- Happy Days Bed Quilt Pattern
- Fantasia Bed Quilt Pattern
- Mosaic Bed Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns