This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Pinwheel Block Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
From the designer: "You’ll be on your way to a super cute and classic quilt with this Pinwheel Quilt Block Pattern. Designed to be one of the “blocks of the month” and a 12 inch square, this quilt square pattern is a great practice block to get you on your way to creating your own handmade quilt. Use this square pattern as one of the blocks in your homemade
Note: Throw-sized quilt pattern can be purchased as an instant print and digital download.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size12 inches wide x 12 inches long
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 2 fat quarters- one light fabric and one dark fabric color
- Thread, scissors, iron, rotary cutter and mat, sewing machine
Cut two 6 7/8" squares
Sub cut each 6 6/8" square in half diagonally. You will be cutting on the bias, so be careful to avoid distortion. Yield=4 half square triangles.
From dark fabric: Cut two 6 7/8" square in half diagonally. You will be cutting on the bias, so be careful to avoid distortion. Yield=4 half square triangles.
Piecing Directions: Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
With right sides together, sew one light half square triangle to one dark half square triangle on the diagonal cut. Repeat four times to make four squares. Gently press seams together toward the dark triangles. Again, your are working with the bias, so avoid stretching the fabric.
With right sides together, join two pieced squares alternating light and dark triangles as shown in diagram. Gently press seams toward the dark triangles. Repeat for second pair of squares. You should now have two rectangles composed of alternating light and dark triangles.
Join the two rectangles as shown to form the block. Gently press seams toward the dark triangles.
(c) all rights reserved by Donna Westerkamp
Read NextRoyal Patchwork Quilt Block Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Royal Patchwork Quilt Block Pattern
- Castles in the Air Block Tutorial
- Bold and Beautiful Irish Chain Quilt Block
- Colorful Rainbow Quilt Block
- Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block
- Stepping Stones Quilt Block Pattern
- Stacks & Stacks of Scraps Quilt Block
- Rising Star Quilt Block
- Celtic Squares Block
- Churn Dash Block
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Broken Dishes Baby Quilt Pattern
- 18+ Free Decorative Christmas Quilt Patterns
- Morning Frost Quilt Pattern
- Shiny + Bright Ornament #6
- Fun Christmas Tree Quilt Blocks For Your Crumbs & Scraps
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Christmas Ornament Mini Quilt Pattern
- 13+ Free Winter Quilt Patterns
- 14+ Free Christmas Quilt Block Patterns
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns