Concentric Diamonds Patchwork Quilt
Despite its simple and repetitive pattern, the Concentric Diamonds Patchwork Quilt creates a beautiful, impressionistic look when made with patterned fabrics in coordinating colors. Use this free quilt pattern to make a decorative bedspread!
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size45.5 inches wide x 72 inches long
Time to CompleteA week or two
- Fabrics #1 through #4—1⁄3 yard each
- Fabrics #5 through #8—5⁄8 yard each
- Fabrics #9 through #12—1 yard each
- Fabric #13—1-3⁄4 yards (includes binding)
- Backing—2-7⁄8 yards
- Batting—50" x 77"
- Coordinating thread
- Accuquilt die cutting machine
- Accuquilt Strip Cutter - 2-1/2" (#55017)
- Accuquilt 6" x 12" mat (#55112)
- Accuquilt Diamonds - 4" x 4" (#55040)
- Cut 1—diamond
- Cut 4—diamonds
- Cut 12—diamonds
- Cut 14—diamonds
- Cut 18—diamonds
- Cut 22—diamonds
- Cut 26—diamonds
- Cut 30—diamonds
- Cut 34—diamonds
- Cut 38—diamonds
- Cut 42—diamonds
- Cut 46—diamonds
- Cut 50—diamonds
- Cut 7—2-1/2" x 40" strips for binding
Tip: For diamonds, cut strips of each color 11" wide across the width of the fabric. Fan fold into 4½" folds with up to six layers of fabric, place on die, and cut.
- Quilt is sewn in diagonal rows. Follow the quilt diagram starting at the upper right corner.
- Pin and sew two Fabric #13 diamonds together for ﬁrst row. Press seam in one direction.
- Pin and sew the next diagonal row. One Fabric #13, two Fabric #12, and one Fabric #13 diamonds. Press seams in opposite direction from first row.
- Pin and sew row one to row two matching diagonal seams. Press seam toward the ﬁrst row.
Tip: Offset seam intersections 1⁄4" and check accuracy by placing a pin through the seam intersections of both rows.
- Continue to pin and sew diamonds together for each row. Press seams of each row in opposite directions.
- Pin and sew each row to the growing quilt top. Press seams of rows one through 13 toward ﬁrst row. Press seams of rows 14 through 25 toward row 25. This results in better seam allowances on the outside edges of the quilt top for adding binding later.
Quilting and Finishing:
- Layer batting between quilt top and backing.
- Pin or baste layers together.
- Model was machine quilted with an all-over large stippled design.
- With large ruler mark straight lines 1⁄4" beyond seam intersections of outermost diamonds as shown by dotted lines on diagram.
- Add binding, aligning the raw edge of binding strip with the marked line on quilt, mitering corners.
- Trim excess edges of shapes and ﬁnish binding.
Read NextQuick and Easy Striped Quilt