9 Reverse Applique Patterns
What is reverse applique? Learn all about it and find some free applique patterns to try.
Learning how to applique is a cornerstone of learning how to quilt. If you want to have the skills to create all of the best quilting patterns out there, you better bet that you are going to come across an applique quilt pattern sooner or later. Reverse applique is one of the most unique and exciting ways to learn how to applique.
It refers to putting the applique fabric behind the remainder of the quilt, allowing your reverse applique design to peak through. This fun addition to your easy quilting patterns can turn a boring quilt pattern into one with just enough flair to make it a fabulous piece. If you are looking for reverse applique patterns, you have come to the right place.
This small but mighty collection of 9 Reverse Applique Patterns not only provides you with some gorgeous ways to reverse applique but tells you how to reverse applique, as well. This makes it even easier to use reverse applique patterns any way you would like. Look down below for reverse applique designs and more!
What is Reverse Applique?
Reverse applique refers to using traditional applique technique backward. When you learn how to applique the original way, you are taught to cut out free applique designs and place them on top of your quilting pattern.
Reverse applique refers to doing the exact opposite. In order to complete a reverse applique pattern, you cut the design into your quilt or, at least, the main portion of your quilt block pattern. From there you attach a decorative piece of fabric below the applique designs you have cut out.
This creates a little window in which to show the decorative fabric. Some quilters choose to leave the raw edges of their fabric showing on this type of applique while others fold over or hem these edges for a cleaner look.
Reverse Applique Quilting Patterns
- Reverse Applique Gathered Heart Pillow - Gussy up a boring pillow with this applique idea.
- Simple Reverse Applique Tutorial - Still need some reverse applique help? Check out this free quilting tutorial.
- Double Dresden Delight Quilt - Pictured above! Make a gorgeous Dresden free quilting pattern with this fancy idea.
- Reverse Applique Quilting Tutorial - Another reverse applique pattern that will turn a new appliquer into an expert in no time.
- Heart Hot Pads - Keep warm with these cute and quick, DIY hot pads.
- Embroidered Snowflake Applique Template - Let it snow all over your quilts when you learn how to applique a snowflake.
- Reverse Applique Quilted Coasters - Pictured below! Learn how to make coasters with reverse applique accents. Your living room never looked so good.
Reverse Applique Quilt Blocks
- Reverse Magic Nine Patch - Pictured above! Nine patch and reverse applique make for one gorgeous quilt block pattern.
- Reverse Applique Circles Block - Pictured below! A free block pattern that is almost too fun to resist.
- BONUS! Simple Reverse Applique Tutorial - This tutorial helps you create an adorable little applique block.
PLUS! Applique Videos and More Free Applique Patterns
Check out this helpful collecting of free quilting videos. In 29 How to Applique Videos & Free Applique Designs, you will learn:
- Freezer Paper Applique
- Reverse Applique
- Applique by Hand
- Fusible Applique
Tell us about your biggest applique disaster!
Read Next26 Free Applique Quilt Patterns