Hexie Tree Skirt Pattern
Making a tree skirt pattern for your tree is one of the best decisions you will make when it comes to Christmas quilting patterns. A fabulous free tree skirt pattern can really make your evergreen pop as well as add some cozy quilting style to your festive home. The Hexie Tree Skirt Pattern shows you how to use hexagons and English paper piecing patterns to make a variety of tree skirts. Whether you want to go with a traditional tree skirt pattern of reds and greens or want to try out the wintery blues of the Snowflake Tree skirt, this expert tutorial has everything you need.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size45 inches wide x 45 inches long
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Find this project and many more in our new eBook, 7 DIY Christmas Gifts: Handmade Gift Ideas You'll Love. Filled with lots of great DIY gift-giving ideas, this new printable collection will help you tackle your gift list in no time! Download your own free copy today!
- 126 - 2" paper pieces (Each side of the hexie measures 2" and 4" across from corner to corner.)
- 2 yards of assorted color fabrics for hexies *see below
- 2½ yards backing fabric
- 1 yard bias binding
Fabric requirements for individual designs listed below.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your fabric measures less than 41" wide, please add 1/8 yard to each measurement.
- Follow the Step by Step English Paper Piecing Tutorial for making and sewing hexies, placing them according to the chosen color chart.
- Make the full circle of the tree skirt without leaving an opening at this time.
- After removing the papers, press seams carefully, and press the outer seam at the bottom edge open. Do not press the top narrower edge open.
- Cut 2 pieces of from the backing fabric, each 23" wide by 45" long.
- Sew the right sides together along the long side. Press the seams to one side.
- With a ruler, draw a straight line and trim the opening edge of the pieced hexie skirt as shown in the diagram below. Trim the seam allowances from both sides of this opening for a clean edge.
- Place backing right side up on a flat surface. Place pieced hexie skirt on top, right side down. Pin generously and carefully.
- Beginning at the top of the straight cut edge, stitch carefully, first along the straight cut edge, then along the outside edge of the tree skirt, and back up the other straight cut edge, following the pieced top. Stitch slowly and turn with the angles of the hexies along the entire outer curve. Trim, remove pins, turn, and press.
- Cover the top seam with bias binding. Topstitch, leaving ends to tie the skirt to the tree.
We're giving away a Spectacular Christmas Giveaway to help celebrate the launch of our new eBook, 7 DIY Christmas Gifts. With more than $500 in prizes, this is any craft lover's dream come true! But you better hurry! This giveaway ends November 22nd! Enter today!
Read NextGranny Square Quilted Tree Skirt