Project Linus Charity Quilt Drive 2014
Project Linus Charity Blanket Drive
Table of Contents:
FaveQuilts is home to so many wonderful quilt tutorials, from baby blankets to full-size quilts. We love hearing about all the beautiful quilts that get made using our bloggers' stunning patterns—so many of our readers tell us that they make these quilts for friends and family, just to see them smile. Well, we want to take that a step further.
With that in mind, we're working with Project Linus to donate charity blankets to children who desperately need them. Project Linus is a wonderful organization whose mission is to "provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer blanketeers."
We here at FaveQuilts think that's just about the best reason to make a blanket, quilts or otherwise. So whether you are a quilter, a crocheter, a knitter, a sew-er, or just a crafter looking for a good excuse spend the weekend getting creative, we hope you'll consider making a quick, easy blanket to give to a child in need. The deadline to donate is June 23, 2014.
Of course, we understand that making blankets of any kind takes time and materials. With that in mind, we're offering an exciting Leisure Arts six-title book bundle valued at over $100! Send us a quilt and you'll be automatically entered to win the following titles:
Beginner Friendly Quilts: The Best of Quilty
Best of Fons & Porter: Paper-Pieced Quilts
Best of Fons & Porter: Quilting Quickly
Best of Fons & Porter: Scrap Explosion Quilts
Best of Fons & Porter: Easy Collection
Totes and Bags: A Stylish Collection for All Your Needs!
When the contest is over, we will contact the lucky winner and send you your new pattern books!
We will be collecting all donated quilts at our offices in Northbrook, IL and personally delivering them to the local Project Linus chapter. Please have your beautiful charity quilts delivered to:
Prime Publishing, LLC
Attn: Charity Blanket Drive
3400 Dundee Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
We will be accepting quilts from April 23, 2014 through June 23, 2014.
The pattern, design, style, and even size of your blanket is totally up to you! Get creative. Use one of our wonderful tutorials (or a tutorial from one of our sister sites, like AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns or AllFreeKnitting) or create your own, totally unique pattern that will be treasured for years to come.
There are, however, a few rules to make sure that Project Linus can accept and distribute your generous donation. So while you're planning, please keep in mind the following:
- The smallest size quilt that Project Linus can accept is 36"x 36".
- It is important the length and width are in proportion to each other. Some blankets that Project Linus receives are very long and narrow which makes a nice scarf instead of a blanket!
- Project Linus donates blankets to children from newborn up to eighteen years of age.
- The materials must be all new, washable and in child-friendly patterns. If a fabric has baby bottles and ducks on it, a smaller blanket should be crafted for a toddler. If the fabric has sports teams or other teen age images, the blanket should be made for an older child.
- It is acceptable for the blanket to be "tied," although Project Linus requests that embroidery floss be used instead of yarn.
- Nothing should be attached to the quilts--no buttons or other ornamentation, no glitter, etc.
- If the blanket is made in a house that has pets, the blanket must be washed, dried and put into a plastic bag.
- The blanket must be checked for pins before donating it to Project Linus.
- We cannot accept any blanket made in a smoking environment.