Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
This free quilt pattern for queen size bed quilts features a simple pattern of repeating applique leaf blocks and a leafy vine applique bordering the quilt center. The Garden Dance quilt will come alive on your bed! Put together the leaf blocks in a variety of fabrics to make this quilt colorful.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size92 inches wide x 96 inches long
Time to CompleteA month or more
Primary TechniquePieced & Appliqued
Note: This pattern was designed using fabrics from the Bloom and Grow Collection from Riley Blake Designs. Fabrics are coded in materials list. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
- 1/4 yd. EACH or 16 fat quarters of assorted colors, light and dark, from the Bloom and Grow collection
- 1-1/2 yds. cream for center and corner blocks (C9100 Cream)
- 5/8 yd. cream polka dot for posts and border #1 (C7034 Cream)
- 5/8 yd. orange for border #1 and center block (C7035 Orange)
- 1 yd. green for vines and leaves in border #2 (C9100 Sweet Pea)
- 1-1/2 yd. orange geometric for border #2 (C7033 Orange)
- 2-1/2 yd. brown for center sashing and border #3 (C#7030 Brown)
- 6 yds. backing
- 3/4 yd. binding
- Templates (templates are printed in gray behind the text of the pattern in this downloadable version of the pattern)
- Supplies for your favorite method of applique
- 80 large leaves out of a variety of colors for the large leaf blocks
- 20 squares 10-1/2" x 14-1/2" cream for background of large leaf blocks
- 30 squares 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" polka dot for posts
- 25 rectangles 2-1/2" x 10-1/2" brown for top and bottom sashing
- 24 rectangles 2-1/2" x 14-1/2" brown for side sashing
- 16 small leaves for corner small leaf blocks
- 4 squares 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" cream for background of small leaf blocks
- 44 rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" out of a variety of colors
- 62 rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" orange. Refer to photo for placement.
- 22 rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" cream polka dot. Refer to photo for placement.
Border #2: Refer to photo for placement of leaves and vine.
- 2 strips 6-1/2" x 72-1/2" for top and bottom. Referred to as A
- 2 strips 6-1/2" x 88-1/2" for sides. Referred to as B
- 10 yards of bias tape. Make this using green fabric for the vines. Use a 1/4" bias tape maker.
- 12 leaves using the A template for corner of the vine
- 16 leaves using the B template for the vine
- 16 leaves using the C template for the vine
- 2 strips 4-1/2" x 84-1/2" for top and bottom. Referred to as C
- 2 strips 4-1/2" x 96-1/2" for sides. Referred to as D
Quilt Center Assembly:
- Choose your favorite method of applique for applying the leaves to both the large and small background cream squares. If you needleturn applique: trace template onto freezer paper. Trace around freezer paper template onto the selected leaf fabric. Peel freezer paper off and reuse. Add 1/4" around traced line. Needleturn edges of leaves. If you iron on your pattern with fusible webbing: trace template onto fusible webbing and cut out on line. Iron fusible webbing template onto selected leaf fabric. Cut out leaf. Peel away fusible webbing paper and iron onto cream background fabric. Blanket stitch edges by hand or machine.
- Complete 20 blocks for center of quilt.
- Sew a 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" post to a 2-1/2" x 10-1/2" sashing. Repeat so that you have a row with 6 posts and 5 sashing pieces, beginning and ending with a post. Sew 5 of these rows.
- Sew a 2-1/2" x 14-1/2" sashing to the long edge of your large leaf block. Repeat so that you have a row with 6 sashing pieces and 5 large leaf blocks, beginning and ending with sashing. Sew 4 of these rows. Sew rows together to complete the quilt center (refer to photo).
Quilt Border Assembly:
- Make 4 small corner leaf blocks with the same method of applique that you used for the large leaf blocks.
- Sew together 31 rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" for top and bottom rows. Sew to top and bottom of quilt.
- Sew together 33 rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" for each side of the quilt. Add the small leaf block to each end of this row. Sew to sides of quilt. See photo for color placement of cream polka dot and orange.
- Sew borders A to top and bottom of quilt.
- Sew borders B to sides of quilt.
- Use your favorite applique method to apply the vine and leaves to your border.
- Sew borders C to top and bottom of quilt.
- Sew borders D to sides of quilt.
- Layer quilt top, batting, and backing and quilt as desired.
- Bind your quilt with your favorite Riley Blake Designs fabric from the Bloom and Grow collection. Have fun with your colors and enjoy the journey of making your quilt.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Create a gorgeously unique art quilt that mixes Eastern inspiration with budget-friendly fat quarters with this Chinese Forget Me Not… Continue reading: "Chinese Forget Me Not Wall Hanging"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bear Paw Quilt Block
- Handi Quilter Stitch 710
- Chrysanthemum Mini Quilt Pattern
- Victoriana Quilt Design Membership
- Classic Ohio Star Quilt Block Pattern
- California Poppy Quilt Block Pattern
- Free Pumpkin Quilt Block Pattern
- Quilt Block Face Mask Pattern
- Daisy Quilt
- Gone Batty Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns