DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Beautiful, festive fabric deserve to be shown off in the most elegant fashion, which is why you should use them to make a Holiday Classics Table Runner this Christmas. This quilted table runner pattern combines two classic quilt block designs to create a symmetrical and whimsical design that's sure to bring class and holiday cheer to your dining room table or front room. A Christmas table runner like this looks just as good as anything in stores, and it'll cost you much less.
Finished Size: 50" x 25"
WOF = Width of fabric.
Note: Use 1/4" seam allowances throughout.
22682-J Large Poinsettia on Black
(1) 6 1/2" x WOF strip, from that cut:
(6) 7" squares, cut diagonally once to yield (12) triangles.
(1) 4 1/2" x WOF strip, sub-cut to:
(4) 4 1/2" squares.
22686-G Green Swirl
- (1) 5 1/4" squares, cut diagonally once to yield (4) trianges.
22684-M Red Stripe
(3) 4 1/2" x WOF strips, sub-cut to:
(2) 4 1/2" x 42 3/4" rectangles.
(2) 4 1/2" x 17 1/4" rectangles.
(1) 5 1/4" x WOF strip, sub-cut to:
(4) 5 1/4" squares, cut diagonally once to yield (8) triangles.
(1) 2" x WOF strips, sub-cut to:
(4) 2" x 3 1/2" rectangles.
(4) 2" squares.
22685-G Green (includes Binding)
(3) 2 1/2" x WOF strips, sub-cut to:
(2) 2 1/2" x 38 1/4" rectangles.
(2) 2 1/2" x 13 1/4" rectangles.
(1) 2" x WOF strip, sub-cut to:
(8) 2" squares.
- (4) 2 1/2" x WOF strips for binding.
(1) 3 1/2" x WOF strip, from that cut:
(1) 3 1/2" square.
(4) 2 1/2" squares
22683-R Holly on Red for Backing Fabric
Block 1 - Make (2)
Center and sew a cream triangle to the top and bottom of a 6 1/2" Large Poinsettia on Black print square. Press toward the triangle. Next, sew cream triangles to each side of the Large Poinsettia on Black print square, and press toward the cream triangle. Repeat for both 6 1/2" Large Poinsettia on Black print squares.
Sew a Holly on black triangle to the top and bottom of the previous unit, and press towards the triangles. Next, sew a Holly on black triangle to the sides of the square.
Block 2 - Make (1)
Make Flying Geese units: Lay a 2" Green square on a 2" x 3 1/2" Cream rectangle right sides together. Sew from the upper right corner ot the bottom left corner.
Repeat for all 4 Cream rectangles.
Leaving a 1/4" seam allowance, cut away the excess triangle on the bottom right and press the green triangle out. Press seam allowances toward the green.
Repeat the step with the 2" Green square on the other side of the Cream rectangle, this time sewing from teh upper left corner to the bottom right corner. Again, cut away excess and press the seam allowance toward the green. Make (4) Flying Geese units.
Using the Flying Geese units, the Cream Squares, and the 3 1/2" Red Square, make a star unit by sewing parts together in three rows of three.
Center and sew a Green Swirl triangle to the top and bottom of the Star block. Press toward the triangle.
Next, sew a Green Swirl triangles to each side of the star block.
Sew a Holly on Black triangle to the top and bottom of the previous unit. Next, sew a Holly on Black triangle to the sides of the square.
- Refer to the picture: Turn the blocks on point and sew in three rows with the Large Poinsettia on Cream setting triangles. Add the Small Poinsettia on Cream triangles to the corners.
Sew the (2) 2 1/2" x 38 3/4" Green fabric rectangles to the long sides of the table runner. Press seams toward the borders. Sew a 2 1/2" Red square to each short end of the (2) Green 2 1/2" x 13 1/4" rectangles. Press toward the Green fabric. Sew these to the short ends of the table runner, matching seams at the cornerstones.
Sew the (2) 4 1/2" x 42 3/4" Red Stripe rectangles to the long sides of the quilt. Press seams towards the borders.
Sew a 4 1/2" Holly on Black square to each short end of the (2) Red Stripe 3 1/2" x 17 1/4" rectangles. Press toward the Red Stripe fabric. Sew these to the top and bottom, matching seams at the cornerstones.
Note: Refer to the photo on front for border order.
Sandwich, quilt, and bind your table runner using your favorite methods. Use the 2 1/2" Green print strips for the binding.
Read NextChristmas Table Runner Tutorial
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
The simple design and bold colors of this throw quilt pattern give it an instantly modern feel. However, the use of traditional… Continue reading: "Modern Super Star Quilt Pattern"
- Christmas Table Runner Tutorial
- Quick and Easy Christmas Table Runner
- Starry Ornament Quilted Table Runner Pattern
- Sweet Sugar Swirls Table Topper
- Raggedy Christmas Quilt Table Runner
- Christmas Beauty Strip Pieced Table Runner
- Basket of Poinsettias Table Runner
- Christmas Joy Centerpiece
- Joy to the World Christmas Table Runner
- Scrappy String Christmas Tree Table Topper
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Tropical Trails Quilt
- Floret Quilted Table Topper Pattern
- Free Tree Quilt Block Pattern
- Bright Bits Modern Mini Quilt
- Quilted Pumpkin Placemat Pattern
- Winterberry Pinwheel Quilt
- Mr. Chillingsworth Halloween Quilt
- Gorgeous Gift Box Table Runner Pattern
- Cozy Cabins Wall Quilt Pattern
- Quick Halloween Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns